Favorite food item on HAL

m921759

Trying to list menu items unique to HAL - obviously, lobster and steak are great anywhere, but these are my HAL must-haves I hope to see on my cruises.

Banana bread French toast - MDR breakfast

Raisin buns and ensaymada - MDR/Lido breakfast

Peanut butter pie - Lido, embarkation day

Parmesan crusted chicken - MDR dinner

Halibut with prosciutto - MDR dinner

Banoffee pie - MDR dinner

Watermelon pie - MDR dinner

Crab cakes - Pinnacle lunch/dinner

Key lime pie - Pinnacle dinner

Bitterballen, kaas souffle, veal krokets, etc. - Dutch treats at the Dive In when you sail out of the Netherlands

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sherryf said:

I love being able to eat eggs benedict EVERY DAY! 😁

There is a French Eggs Benedict or perhaps it was called Parisian - but it was very good as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

One of them is the Crab cakes.

Hi @DaveOKC I always enjoy your input but I am from MD and if you’ve ever had a crab cake made with MD blue crab, the cakes on HAL are a disappointment.  

I was talking to the Pinnacle chef on the Oosterdam last Fall,  asking him what to order since I don’t eat red meat.  He said, “the crabcakes”.  I said, “I’m from MD”.  He said, “Don’t order the crabcakes”.   He said they were out of large scallops so I should order the halibut.  I told him I found most fish on the ship to be over cooked.  He said, “Order the it but rare, I’ll know it’s for you”.  It was delicious.  I enjoyed the the large sea scallop on the Rotterdam in February.

I am also a fan of the escargot.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, albingirl said:

Agree. But, you can just be unruly  and ask for triple meat lol! Love it smothered in mustard like I am in a NY deli!

But it is not Katz Deli in the Bowery .NYC .There you need to take a extra loaf of   Hewish rye  bread & make your self  more  rom all the meat they put on .We too love the Deli sandwiches & a salad 

• Thanks 1

My fav is the bread pudding, but the one they make in MDR for breakfast, with orange zest and pomegranate seeds if I recall. I think it’s supposed to be only for Club Orange, but I’m guessing if you know about it you can just order it off menu?

also the Thai Beef Salad in Tamarind. Mmm. Could eat there everyday!

• Like 1

On our recent trip on the Koningsdam it was a mixed bag however, we did have some winners:

We both loved the Sushi at Nami Sushi (all of it...and we ate a lot) - get it on the first night, it won't get any fresher as the cruise goes on.

The Dive-In fries were good on the first day, BUT by day 5 or 6 we went and they had switched to regular fries (like you would find in the Lido) - big disappointment so just be aware.

Veal Scallopini at Canaletto was surprisingly good

Gelato was pretty darn good at the standalone gelato stand AND as the "Gelato" dessert (sampler of 3 diff kinds) also at Canaletto.

I guess that's not just one item!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:
5 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Does it have cheese?

Vegans do not eat cheese.  This is a delicious pizza without meat or cheese.

9 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

My fav is the bread pudding, but the one they make in MDR for breakfast, with orange zest and pomegranate seeds if I recall. I think it’s supposed to be only for Club Orange, but I’m guessing if you know about it you can just order it off menu?

also the Thai Beef Salad in Tamarind. Mmm. Could eat there everyday!

It is on the MDR menu for anyone to order.

CROISSANT AND BREAD PUDDING 
pomegranate seeds, candied citrus

• Like 2

I like the Wasabi & Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin in Tamarind.

Back when HAL gave recipe cards out at Cooking Demonstrations, I never threw any away so I have enough for a good-sized cookbook. I do not have the recipe for their Tamale Cake appetizer, though. Does anyone have it? I always enjoyed that dish.

I always enjoyed Chicken a la King at the Royal Dutch High Tea back in the day.

I love HAL’s variety of chocolate cakes, especially the one served in the Lido during lunch on the first day, and the one with raspberries, and the one on the In Room Dining menu…and the one… haha….

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2

Anything and everything from the Grand Dutch Cafe.

And just about anything made by the bakery, especially the Krentenbollen (tho technically these aren't made with currents but raisins so they should be called rozijnenbollen).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Bill, if that's the one with artichokes and black olives in NYDeli, it is the Central Park pizza. My favourite, and I'm not even vegan! 

I'd be curious to know whether there is much difference if it's made with cheese or the vegan cheese alternative (that I used). If you're ever brave enough to try it vegan, let us know!

• Like 1