Carry-on Wine

ctrinco

I read the updated carry on beverage policy and it notes that wine brought on board is subject to a $20 corkage fee.  Royal Caribbean only charges this if you bring the wine to dinner, not if you consume in your stateroom.  Does Holland America charge this regardless at the time of boarding?

3 minutes ago, ctrinco said:

I read the updated carry on beverage policy and it notes that wine brought on board is subject to a $20 corkage fee.  Royal Caribbean only charges this if you bring the wine to dinner, not if you consume in your stateroom.  Does Holland America charge this regardless at the time of boarding?

Yes

9 minutes ago, ctrinco said:

Yes. They have for years.

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

Royal only lets you bring on one 750 ml bottle of wine. I'll just read it on their website.

I don't think any of the mass market cruise lines let you bring on more than one bottle without paying fees...not saying that they catch everyone but i have seen wine /booze taken away from people on check in...some lines give it back the last night, some lines "destroy it" (or maybe it ends up in crew quarters?...beats pouring it down the drain.)....

royal carib booze policy:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages (beer, seltzer, or hard liquor) seized on embarkation day will be returned at the end of the voyage provided that they are in the original sealed package. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under the legal drinking age, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

On embarkation day, each guest of drinking age may bring one (1) sealed 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne. Boxed wine and other containers are prohibited. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the one permitted bottle on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home.

For consecutive sailings, guests of drinking age are allowed to bring one (1) 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne for each individual sailing. Additional bottles will be stored by the ship and delivered, one bottle at a time, to the stateroom on the first day of each new voyage. Guests bringing more than one bottle at the start of the first sailing should have documentation for any consecutive sailings available to share with

HAL allows pax 21+ to bring a "reasonable amount" (used to be 1 750ml bottle pp/7 days) of wine. Needs to be in your carry-on so it's declared and scanned at security.

In April Seattle Eurodam, the guy working the x-ray asked "you've got 2 bottles?" We said yes, he nodded, we collected our bag and went onboard. Easy peasy.

• Like 3

Depends on the ship and staff but now (post shut down) all wine needs to be declared and $20 corkage fee no matter if just one bottle. Some people have gotten away with not paying. You still can bring 1 bottle back on a HAL excursion to a winery without fee. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

HAL allows pax 21+ to bring a "reasonable amount" (used to be 1 750ml bottle pp/7 days) of wine.

1 750 ml pp/7 days?  Always been able to bring more than one bottle of wine on board HAL.  It didn’t matter how many days the cruise was.  At one time there was no fee for any of the bottles unless you consumed it outside of your stateroom.  Eventually the policy was changed to 1 free bottle at embarkation pp and corkage on the rest and then to the current policy of corkage on all bottles of wine brought on board.

• Like 2

Thanks!  Was specifically looking for the rules for HAL as this is our first time sailing with them. For those that have paid -- was the corkage fee per bottle or just $20 total of 2 bottles?  I'm assuming glasses of wine are probably $14 on board, so the corkage fee is still less than what it would cost for 3 glasses.

We still haven't decided on the drink package, so I was trying to figure out what I might spend if I brought a couple bottles on board with me.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and they'll let us through security without making us pay 😛

Just now, ctrinco said:

Thanks!  Was specifically looking for the rules for HAL as this is our first time sailing with them. For those that have paid -- was the corkage fee per bottle or just $20 total of 2 bottles?  I'm assuming glasses of wine are probably $14 on board, so the corkage fee is still less than what it would cost for 3 glasses.

We still haven't decided on the drink package, so I was trying to figure out what I might spend if I brought a couple bottles on board with me.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and they'll let us through security without making us pay 😛

$20 per bottle 

Just now, ctrinco said:

The corkage fee of $20 is for each bottle of wine.  So, one bottle is $20, two bottles is $40, etc.

The Signature Beverage Package is sufficient for most.  If your drink is over the limit, they are now just charging the difference.

Many get the HIA (Have It All) package as it often works out cheaper but you do need to do the math.

1 minute ago, kazu said:

The corkage fee of $20 is for each bottle of wine.  So, one bottle is $20, two bottles is $40, etc.

The Signature Beverage Package is sufficient for most.  If your drink is over the limit, they are now just charging the difference.

Many get the HIA (Have It All) package as it often works out cheaper but you do need to do the math.

Thanks...I suppose with the cost of the actual wine perhaps it's not worth the hassle.  I didn't realize there was a different package than Have it all.  I'll take a look at that too.  

Thanks so much everyone for the info!

7 minutes ago, ctrinco said:

Thanks...I suppose with the cost of the actual wine perhaps it's not worth the hassle.  I didn't realize there was a different package than Have it all.  I'll take a look at that too.  

Thanks so much everyone for the info!

Yes, there are some packages (look under "beverages") that don't include excursions, dinners... you can also see the bottle prices there. Recommend doing the math and consider the wine you would bring - if it's what you prefer, you may to pay the corkage fee.

We always carried on a bottle per day and paid the corkage.  We drive to FL so we never had a problem getting the wine there. One time we were departing San Diego so I shipped 16 bottles to a friend in Fallbrook and we drove up and retrieved them and rolled them aboard in heavy carry ons.  That activity is behind us now.  We are 4 Star and get 50% wine packages.  We just bring a few special bottles aboard now for specialty restaurant dinners.  Getting wine by the glass is a problem if you want a second glass with your main course due to delivery issues from busy wait staff. 

19 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

That activity is behind us now.  We are 4 Star and get 50% wine packages. 

Same for us.  

I just looked at our statement from our April cruise (3 star folks, 25% discount) and we paid $25.45 a bottle (tip included) per bottle.  That's package #1, 8 bottles. 

We look forward to our 4th star next cruise and the price dropping further.....50% off. 

Our younger days of fetching and dragging and paying corkage are over.  

Savor the journey.......

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 7:24 AM, FlaMariner said:

Same for us.  

I just looked at our statement from our April cruise (3 star folks, 25% discount) and we paid $25.45 a bottle (tip included) per bottle.  That's package #1, 8 bottles. 

We look forward to our 4th star next cruise and the price dropping further.....50% off. 

Our younger days of fetching and dragging and paying corkage are over.  

Savor the journey.......

This will be our 2nd HA cruise coming up and I was looking at ordering a wine package. Can you tell me if the bottles are delivered to our cabin or if they are kept chilled and we access them only at the MDR or speciality restaurants. Thanks so much for any input you can provide.

34 minutes ago, bc_redhead said:

This will be our 2nd HA cruise coming up and I was looking at ordering a wine package. Can you tell me if the bottles are delivered to our cabin or if they are kept chilled and we access them only at the MDR or speciality restaurants. Thanks so much for any input you can provide.

I have read on here that it's your choice. Any or all of the above.

3 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I have read on here that it's your choice. Any or all of the above.

Exactly.

And in the MDR, if you have not finished the bottle, they hold it for you for tomorrow......And when you arrive tomorrow, it's likely waiting for you at your table (fixed dining). 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies...I ended up getting the Have it All package.  At $50 a day per person, with $100 shore excursion credit and 1 specialty dinner (plus drink package, wifi) it seem to make more financial sense.

• Like 1