What’s That One Thing??

Spurs Fans

32 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

What fan do you recommend?  TIA

We purchased a little Vornado.....https://www.lowes.com/pd/Vornado-6-2-in-2-Speed-Indoor-Desk-Fan/1000731454. I can hang it upside down from the ceiling and use 4 magnet hook and acts like a nice ceiling fan. Sometimes I will mount it by the a/c vent to help throw air a bit more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

We purchased a little Vornado.....https://www.lowes.com/pd/Vornado-6-2-in-2-Speed-Indoor-Desk-Fan/1000731454. I can hang it upside down from the ceiling and use 4 magnet hook and acts like a nice ceiling fan. Sometimes I will mount it by the a/c vent to help throw air a bit more.

Thank you!

A lot of people bring a lot of junk. I HATE cluttering up the cabin. It's only so small, and personally that bothers me more than having my bed not made up 2x a day.

For me, I suppose I'd say anything that saves me from having to pay 4x on the ship for in a shop. Medications, sunscreen, cigars, etc. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

A lot of people bring a lot of junk. I HATE cluttering up the cabin. It's only so small, and personally that bothers me more than having my bed not made up 2x a day.

For me, I suppose I'd say anything that saves me from having to pay 4x on the ship for in a shop. Medications, sunscreen, cigars, etc. 

sunscreen on Celebrity was only a little bit more on ship vs on land. It’s the brand I usually buy which I admit is expensive. I was pleasantly surprised they weren’t gauging though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

sunscreen on Celebrity was only a little bit more on ship vs on land. It’s the brand I usually buy which I admit is expensive. I was pleasantly surprised they weren’t gauging though.

That's great to know. I'm a malignant melanoma survivor. It is extremely unlikely that I would ever forget or run out of sunscreen on a cruise, but I would pay whatever it took to get some onboard if I had to.

Don't tell the cruise lines or their revenue partners that I said that. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

That's great to know. I'm a malignant melanoma survivor. It is extremely unlikely that I would ever forget or run out of sunscreen on a cruise, but I would pay whatever it took to get some onboard if I had to.

Don't tell the cruise lines or their revenue partners that I said that. 

I have sensitive skin and react to the sun. Supergoop is my favourite sunscreen so I was ecstatic to see it on the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

We are each different, and in many ways. At our ages comfort is a lot more important than something others may consider clutter.

• Like 1

We're light packers.  Specific thoughts: 

- We've never needed to expand our electrical outlets. 

- Long ago we brought an over-the-door shoe holder -- awful choice.  It just made the clutter visible and the bathroom door clunky.  Cruise ship cabins have a good amount of storage. 

- We do enjoy a couple magnetic hooks to keep things up off the desk.  We hang a schedule that we print out for each cruise, our paper Cruise Compasses, hats, and a few other things.  (Note that most cruise ships have two large hooks behind the entrance door -- we hang our backpacks on these.) 

- We definitely pack plenty of sunscreen, OTC medicines, and other basics -- they're quite expensive onboard.  

- I'm a big reader, and I always bring my Kindle.  Do not count on the ship's super-small library.  

- We have a set of laminated goldfish, which our artist daughter painted for us.  They're just made of poster board, but they're magnetic, and they mark our door for us.  Between cruises, they're stored in an envelope, and they take up no space.  

- We always bring at least two swimsuits so we never have to put on a wet one.  

On 7/25/2023 at 9:23 AM, Spurs Fans said:

What’s that one thing you pack for a cruise that most people forget?  It’s the one thing you would tell everybody on the cruise to remember to bring if you could. 

Portable battery operated fan that fits in the palm of my hand.

I always bring a pillow case, hang it to a trouser clip hanger and use it for dirty clothes. Doesn't take up much room in the cabin closet and keeps everything neat, tidy and off the floor.

• Like 1

I also bring a pillowcase, but a pink satin one, as it works better for my hair than most. Pink, so I don't forget it. 

For laundry, we use one of these lightweight, collapsible baskets. On most lines, it fits, out of sight, between the couch and the balcony. On lines with self-serve laundry, it's easy to carry. We put detergent sheets and dryer sheets in the pocket. No stuffed kitty, however. 

image.png.a8d9d2138401d74116b21236bc8d9284.png

Edited by MamaFej
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2023 at 12:13 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I bought my last pack of sunscreen at Sam's Club for $14.99 for a (4) pack of 9.1 oz bottles (sadly I haven't seen it there since). Even if I buy the generic Walmart brand, it is still nearly double that price. No matter how reasonable it may seem on the ship, it is still going to be more expensive than even the generic Walmart brand. I can only imagine what you paid.

1 hour ago, sunpsyche said:

We put laundry in the cabin laundry bag. Why bring anything else?

Different strokes for different folks. 

I like all dirty laundry, including what I will hand wash, to be in the same place. I’d also never dream of taking a cabin laundry bag off the ship and to a hotel. 

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I bought my last pack of sunscreen at Sam's Club for $14.99 for a (4) pack of 9.1 oz bottles (sadly I haven't seen it there since). Even if I buy the generic Walmart brand, it is still nearly double that price. No matter how reasonable it may seem on the ship, it is still going to be more expensive than even the generic Walmart brand. I can only imagine what you paid.

You are right it is expensive compared to what you use but I am also very picky on what sunscreen I put on my body. My comment wasn’t that the sunscreen was affordable or inexpensive but that the cruise line does not do an insane markup on it.

As a woman in her 30s with sensitive skin and who reacts to the sun more than anyone else I know I choose my sunscreen differently than you probably do. I look at how it affects my skin (possible breakouts after use), how my skin looks with it on, will I have an allergic reaction to it, what chemicals are in it, how it feels, and most importantly will it protect my skin.

I wish I could just buy cheap sunscreen and it be that easy.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2023 at 2:23 PM, Spurs Fans said:

What’s that one thing you pack for a cruise that most people forget?  It’s the one thing you would tell everybody on the cruise to remember to bring if you could. 

Genuinely don't think there is anything.

The wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only thing I've added to my "stuff" for any travel/camping in the past 2 years is one of my Luci inflatable lights from Mpowered.  I have a few.  All are USB-rechargable, so I can just recharge during the day.  This time I took my Luci Candle.  Could take it outside on the balony for a little evening ambience.  

I've mentioned this over the years here.  We always bring an empty spray bottle and a fabric softener dryer sheet like Downy.  In the cabin we just fill with water and add the sheet.  Instant wrinkle release.  Try it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1