Complainers. Why?

8 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Before retirement I was in charge of Food & Beverage and Housekeeping in a large hotel, 700 rooms.

It never ceased to amaze me how many people would start complaining moments after arrival, usually to get something for nothing.

Clearly if you order a rare steak and receive well done that’s a legitimate complaint that should be immediately rectified.

I’m talking about endless nit picking BUT the same people returning week after week, that’s what I never understood and don’t get about cruise complaints.

If it’s that bad, go elsewhere.

A friend of mine was a manager of a hotel several years ago and told me about a couple who always stayed there and then complained at the end to corporate about every little thing, and as you say, they were looking for some compensation.  Finally he had enough and saw they were arriving again.  So he was at the desk when they arrived and pulled them into his office and apologized to them for always failing to meet their standards and it had become clear that they could never be satisfied at his hotel, and so he felt it necessary to cancel their reservation and make an alternate booking at another hotel nearby, no charge.  He then called a taxi for them and sent them on their way.  He said they were speechless and also embarrassed.  He got rid of a problem.

• Like 7

Great story Anton!

Closest I can  come to that was when we told a regular who had sent her cheesesteak back to Room Service for about 15 consecutive weeks that we would no longer be able to accept her order for any going forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:49 AM, basenji56 said:

Well, then that tells you the value of cruisers raising concerns about problems.  If people don't complain, nothing will improve.  Remember-these are companies that are obsessed with getting a 10 of 10 rating from their customers.

Complaints are a form of cyber bullying by people who hide behind the anonymity of avatars. 

Remember, the crew are obsessed with 10 out of 10 ratings because any rating below that hurt them  financially with less allocation from the tip pools. If you think that the cruise line is hurt by that 1-poor rating, they aren't. But the crew members associated with that rating get screwed. Think about that next time "you get even with the cruise line" with a 1 rating. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Complaints are a form of cyber bullying by people who hide behind the anonymity of avatars. 

Remember, the crew are obsessed with 10 out of 10 ratings because any rating below that hurt them  financially with less allocation from the tip pools. If you think that the cruise line is hurt by that 1-poor rating, they aren't. But the crew members associated with that rating get screwed. Think about that next time "you get even with the cruise line" with a 1 rating. 

We sailed Royal the end of June. Our room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter (all crew) deserved a 10 for excellent service and were given 10 ratings plus additonal cash tips. As for the Staff, as much as they're all trying to do their very best, they're hands are tied by RCI's current "fill the ship to the rafter's policy and hope the dice don't roll to "snake eyes"!!!!

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That's all well and good , but what if you truly received bad service ?

I have only had service a couple times that I truly believed did not reach or even come close to the standard that it should , yet I have never given anyone a poor review due to feeling guilty about what it means to the employee . I am really rethinking this as of late for the obvious reason that if management doesn't know there is a problem ,  ( because everyone is guilted into giving 10's ) , then substandard service will become acceptable.

This begging for ratings system should be abolished !

If the service given is indeed a 10 out of 10 , then they shouldn't have to beg you for the rating . 

And on the other side if they haven't put their best foot forward and given you great service , they also shouldn't have the nerve to ask for the rating .

JMHO

Cheers

• Like 5

5 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

I have only had service a couple times that I truly believed did not reach or even come close to the standard that it should , yet I have never given anyone a poor review due to feeling guilty about what it means to the employee . I am really rethinking this as of late for the obvious reason that if management doesn't know there is a problem ,  ( because everyone is guilted into giving 10's ) , then substandard service will become acceptable.

If the service given is indeed a 10 out of 10 , then they shouldn't have to beg you for the rating . 

And on the other side if they haven't put their best foot forward and given you great service , they also shouldn't have the nerve to ask for the rating .

JMHO

Cheers

If you have an issue on a cruise, bring it up on the cruise. That way it can at least be addressed by people who can do something. 

Doing it here may make one feel better, but in reality nothing happens. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

JMHO

Cheers

The only ones I do not give 10's are the ones who ask for it.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:15 PM, BirdTravels said:

"form of cyber bullying"?  Really?  I suspect victims of actual cyberbullying (or any bullying) would disagree.  

But, I'll play along.  If complaints are a form of cyberbullying, then aren't your "everything is just fine" posts along with your cruise line sponsored "live" reports equally a form of cyberbullying?  

And what does that make your multiple posts of the brown water from your stateroom sink?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

If complaints are a form of cyberbullying, then aren't your "everything is just fine" posts along with your cruise line sponsored "live" reports equally a form of cyberbullying?  

yes, absolutely

We have all come across professional complainers, and they are quite draining.   Personally, I always have a good time wherever I am - but anyone who has cruised for more than a few years will know  that the cruising experience has been downgraded considerably, even before Covid.  

The half and half thing, in a way I can see where OP is coming from.   Things should be labelled correctly for what they are, and not what they want us to think it is.  Now I take my coffee black, so I don't have a dog in that particular race - but lets say there were scones offered at afternoon tea, and you asked, and were told it was "fresh cream", and it turned out to be cool whip.  Or, if the soda had a sticker saying "coke" but it was a Walmart own brand.   In itself, it isn't an issue, but its disingenuous to offer one thing and give another, to mislead.   Because it is misleading behaviour.   I don't blame the staff, they can only put out what they are given, and are probably told what to say by their management.

All the complaints are small, inconsequential things - until the time when they swap out something YOU value for something you wouldn't have at home.    

The argument of "well, I am happy because I don't have to cook or do laundry", doesn't wash with me.  We are spending thousands of dollars here. 

I haven't been on a Royal ship for a while because I have seen the experience downgraded dramatically.  Other companies offer far more bang for your buck, so for the foreseeable that is where I will be.   

For balance and honest, I have shares in Royal, so I want to see them get back on track.   That's why I understand about the once a day cleaning, the one lobster, the new menu. 

But don't tell me you are giving me something that you aren't. 

• Like 6

I understand people having issues, we’ve had them, too.  Bring them up where it matters. And if nothing is done, sure, make sure others know. 

But when you make a post, what is your goal of the post?  To help others or to scare them?

The number of posts of people who are now concerned about their first ever cruise is astounding. And much of their concerns are from odd “complaints”. 

So when people clearly are posting to scare other cruisers to worry, it’s easier to tell the complainers to move on than be attacked as a cheerleader when offering a rational explanation. Especially since cruise fares are so high. 

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

The only ones I do not give 10's are the ones who ask for it.

I have sometimes replied to those folks that if they take good care of us I'll give them a 10.  

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

I understand people having issues, we’ve had them, too.  Bring them up where it matters. And if nothing is done, sure, make sure others know. 

But when you make a post, what is your goal of the post?  To help others or to scare them?

My takeaway from the 1/2 and 1/2 post is "be aware".  I'll be on Oasis in a couple of weeks.  I now know that if the 1/2 and 1/2 seems more like milk, it probably isn't an isolated accident/mistake and I should most definitely say something and if not resolved, escalate to the extent I feel motivated to at the time.  

If I hadn't seen that post, I might just write it off as someone screwed up.  (until I saw it a few mornings in a row).  

So I found a bit of benefit in that post, maybe.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

While I don't like complainers who are complainers just to be complainers or who try to get something for nothing, I have to remind myself (and sometimes, others) that this is a discussion board.  So, if I feel that someone's post fits into one of the examples above, I either engage or ignore it.  I do find it very amusing when I read people complaining about complaints(ers).   

Being retired from the customer service/hospitality industry, I have stories, stories, and more stories.  

• Like 3

We have always found a quiet comment to someone in charge gets results.  We don’t have to do it often.  I would never complain about half and half vs milk.  So your coffee isn’t that great for a week….now if it’s plumbing in your cabin that’s a different story.  We had a plumbing and electrical issue plus noise issue one cruise about a year ago.  The plumbing and electrical issue was dealt with quickly but it was still a hassle.  When the noise became a problem we brought it all to the attention of the concierge and it was quickly dealt with and we were moved.  We’ve been on 6 cruises since then and never had any major issues to complain about.

Personally we can’t stand complainer’s.  Deal with the small stuff and get over it.  If it’s big, bring it to someone’s attention.  Move on.  Don’t let it ruin your vacation.  

I give honest surveys at the end but have only once in recent years given staff less than a 10.  I will comment on the quality of food, quality of entertainment and a poor excursion.  I try to make constructive criticism so things can improve not tear people down.  

Edited by cruiselvr04

On 7/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, Jt4428 said:

Just really curious why all the complainers and people who think that RC lied, blah blah blah, why they still cruise with them? If it's so bad give your money elsewhere.

I don’t think complaining is necessarily the purpose. It’s helpful for others to hear of negative experiences in order to be prepared for their own cruise. This is a cruise review website, meant to take the good and the bad. Unless you want a “5-star reviews only” policy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

My takeaway from the 1/2 and 1/2 post is "be aware".  I'll be on Oasis in a couple of weeks.  I now know that if the 1/2 and 1/2 seems more like milk, it probably isn't an isolated accident/mistake and I should most definitely say something and if not resolved, escalate to the extent I feel motivated to at the time.  

If I hadn't seen that post, I might just write it off as someone screwed up.  (until I saw it a few mornings in a row).  

So I found a bit of benefit in that post, maybe.

Because nothing speaks of a knowledge complaint like accusing RCI and their leaders of being liars, right?  Ok…