Mason Jar Brunch Price Increase

I shouldn't be surprised but just noticed that the "full price" for Mason Jar brunch on Wonder just increased from $24.99 to $34.99 so the standard 10% off pre-cruise price jumped from $21.99 to $30.99. 😭

At least I had it booked already for my next Wonder cruise but not the 2 after that.

It's a sad day for us Mason Jar brunch fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

What an odd name for a restaurant. 

Why?  It's named for the practice of using old mason jars (when no longer being used for preserved fruits and vegetables) as glassware. (for beverages)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I shouldn't be surprised but just noticed that the "full price" for Mason Jar brunch on Wonder just increased from $24.99 to $34.99 so the standard 10% off pre-cruise price jumped from $21.99 to $30.99. 😭

At least I had it booked already for my next Wonder cruise but not the 2 after that.

9 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Good thing I booked the UDP when it was on sale a few months ago. Snagged it for $266/pp for my Wonder cruise 12/10. Currently on sale for $288/pp but have seen it priced over $300/pp for same cruise. We plan on Mason Jar brunch on embarkation day.

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

That is a significant increase!

M

I have seen UDP prices DOUBLE in the past year.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Why?  It's named for the practice of using old mason jars (when no longer being used for preserved fruits and vegetables) as glassware. (for beverages)

I just looked at the menu.  I didn't realize it had a southern theme, so I guess it makes sense. 

I hope they have moonshine. 😁

5 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

That is a significant increase!

M

I was going to say the same thing! 

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Lifelong Southerner here.  My family's as country as they come, and none of my relatives ever used Mason jars as drinking glasses -- until it became trendy maybe a decade ago.  Jelly jars, that's another story.  

56 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I just looked at the menu.  I didn't realize it had a southern theme, so I guess it makes sense. 

I hope they have moonshine. 😁

Moonshine is not good.  And it's not that it's too strong; I can drink tequila like it's water.  

43 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Blackberry Moonshine Lemonade. It was very good. 😋

IMG_0668.jpeg

That's probably good because it has other ingredients mixed with the moonshine.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We didn’t particularly enjoy the food in Mason Jar.

Agree! It wasn’t popular in Europe at all. The food gave you indigestion and the restaurant was always empty - whereas the bar area with the fabulous band was always packed! 

44 minutes ago, little britain said:

Agree! It wasn’t popular in Europe at all. The food gave you indigestion and the restaurant was always empty - whereas the bar area with the fabulous band was always packed! 

I can see American Southern food not doing well in Europe. We absolutely love it.

Bar area is a big hit everywhere though, it seems.

Edited by OCSC Mike

9 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That's probably good because it has other ingredients mixed with the moonshine.

As you could have guessed, it's not actually real moonshine. It's a brand of flavored alcohol you can find in the US to purchase. I forget the company but they make a few different flavored "moonshines."

Not a strong drink but I thought it went well with brunch at 11am... although I wouldn't hesitate to order it at other times.

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The peanut butter and jelly  old fashioned was amazing as well. 

I know it's very popular and I tried another peanut butter drink there with some sort of banana liquor and peanut butter whiskey... I'm just not a whiskey/bourbon drinker and I couldn't get past that.

There was an adult root beer float with root beer, absolut vanilla, kahlua, and of course ice cream that I tried one night and liked.

40 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

As you could have guessed, it's not actually real moonshine. It's a brand of flavored alcohol you can find in the US to purchase. I forget the company but they make a few different flavored "moonshines."

Ole Smoky moonshine.

It's worth checking out the bar if you don't want to eat there. Even if you're not a country music fan (which I'm not), they play other stuff (especially upon request), they talk to the crowd... and of course you can try a drink(s) with vouchers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Again, I'm Southern down to my bones.  My family's been on the same piece of land since before America was America (my husband says we're too dumb to find another spot).  As such, I've tasted real moonshine (and did not go blind), and I've tasted the stuff they sell at the ABC store as moonshine.  Tastes vary, of course, but I'm in the "no thanks" group.  

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I know it's very popular and I tried another peanut butter drink there

Skrewball is kinda the original brand of peanut-butter whiskey.  I bought my husband a bottle as a Christmas gift, and it wasn't a big hit here at our house.  It's possible we didn't know how to make it into something good.  

I guess we're a "keep the PB in your sandwich" kind of family.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Not a fan of Southern food and didn't even try the bar but will have to at least do that when I go next month.

Don't let that stop you from going to The Mason Jar!  A solid 1/2 of their food isn't really Southern at all.  Chicken and Waffles is good eatin', but it's a dish that only reached the South maybe in the last 10-15 years.  We'll claim the Deviled Eggs and Pimento Cheese (which we would never spread on a biscuit), but salmon?  That's not ours -- specially not when mixed with avacado.  Biscuits, oh, yes, that's our bread and butter (literally!), but we don't say Johnny Cakes.  We'll claim the Red Velvet, but I don't think we have any right to say French Toast is "ours", nor is Overnight Oats.  I grew up on Fried Chicken, of course, and the chicken sandwich is an off-shoot.  The Po'Boy, Shrimp and Grits and the Remoulade sauce belong to Creole country, which -- okay -- is Southern, but more of a subset of Southern.  They're not the same as those of us in the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee area; you know, the heart of the South.  The desserts are more Southern than the rest of the menu:  Cherry Pie, Pecan Pie (though we don't mix chocolate with pecan pie) and especially Banana Puddin' -- those are ours through and through.  I have Banana Puddin' in my fridge right this minute.  

Anyway, back to the point:  The Mason Jar's menu looks good, but it's not true Southern -- they ain't even got no Sweet Tea!  If you wanted a menu based off what my family's been eating for generations, you'd need to add a Fried Pork Chop with Collard Greens and Potato Salad, a Tomato Sandwich, Fried Okra (pronounced oak-ree), Black Eyed Peas (go big and make 'em into Hoppin' John), Boiled Peanuts as an appetizer, maybe Fried Green Tomatoes, BBQ (which means pulled pork) served with Hush Puppies, Chicken-Fried Steak, and Country Ham with Red Eye Gravy.  For dessert, you'd need to add Shoo-Fly Pie, Chess Pie or Buttermilk Pie.  

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's worth checking out the bar if you don't want to eat there. Even if you're not a country music fan (which I'm not), they play other stuff (especially upon request), they talk to the crowd... and of course you can try a drink(s) with vouchers.

That sounds pleasant!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've tasted the stuff they sell at the ABC store as moonshine

I wouldn't even know what "real" moonshine tastes like. That blackberry lemonade was just as I expected, a fruity lemonade that happened to have some alcohol in it. It went well with brunch, didn't have much of an alcohol taste to it, and not like I was trying to get drunk... just wash down the insane amount of food I was eating, lol.

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Skrewball is kinda the original brand of peanut-butter whiskey.  I bought my husband a bottle as a Christmas gift, and it wasn't a big hit here at our house.  It's possible we didn't know how to make it into something good.

I thought the peanut butter flavor and whatever else was in the drink I tried would help mask the whiskey-taste... but it didn't for this non-whiskey drinker. No big deal, that's what vouchers are for. I'll always try new things once.

Love your education on true southern food, btw. I grew up in the Philly 'burbs and skipped the actual south on my way to moving here. Central Florida is just a weird place full of transplants that happens to be geographically south but is, of course, by no means "southern."

I wouldn't even know what "real" moonshine tastes like.

I've never tasted kerosene, but I'm pretty sure it tastes like moonshine.  

Blackberries and lemonade are a good pairing.  

I thought the peanut butter flavor and whatever else was in the drink I tried would help mask the whiskey-taste... but it didn't for this non-whiskey drinker.

I do like whiskey, but -- in our opinion -- peanut butter and whiskey just aren't friends.  

Central Florida is just a weird place full of transplants that happens to be geographically south but is, of course, by no means "southern."

Totally true.  It may be the US's southernmost state, but it is not Southern in terms of culture.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:07 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I'm glad I went ahead and made our brunch reservations after I read your Wonder review, and saved a few $ - we and our friends are looking forward to giving it a try! 

• Like 1