Level 4 Travel Advisory for Haiti

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

One day a number of years ago some Haitans on a few small boats staged a non violent political protest and held up some signs. Hardly an incident. Royal Caribbean simply cancelled the stop. Which proves that Royal Caribbean is not going to take any chances but mostly they did not want passsngers to see a protest.

I saw that and agree that I would not classify that as an incident.  

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

One day a number of years ago some Haitans on a few small boats staged a non violent political protest and held up some signs. Hardly an incident. There was no threat to the ship or passengers. Royal Caribbean simply cancelled the stop. Which proves that Royal Caribbean is not going to take any chances but mostly they did not want passsngers to see a protest.

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

I saw that and agree that I would not classify that as an incident.  

I don't know, things may have been "nonviolent" because the ship diverted from there.  We don't know how violent or not things may or may not have gotten if they did show up.  And I'd consider it an incident if an entire ship (don't know what ship this is about) full of guests and crew had to divert from a port because of protests, violent or not.  I'm sure those that provide the support and depend on the $$$ that these ships bring in would consider it an incident and enough of an incident that the hierarchies of RCCL didn't want the passengers to see it.  

But, I do agree, RCCL made the right decision.  Better safe than sorry.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't know, things may have been "nonviolent" because the ship diverted from there.  We don't know how violent or not things may or may not have gotten if they did show up.  And I'd consider it an incident if an entire ship (don't know what ship this is about) full of guests and crew had to divert from a port because of protests, violent or not.  I'm sure those that provide the support and depend on the $$$ that these ships bring in would consider it an incident and enough of an incident that the hierarchies of RCCL didn't want the passengers to see it. 

I am sorry.  It was certainly an incident.  However not an incident of any passenger having a problem on the island, which I think is what people were asking about.  A storm is an incident too but not one to make someone worried about travel to the island.

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

I am sorry.  It was certainly an incident.  However not an incident of any passenger having a problem on the island, which I think is what people were asking about.  A storm is an incident too but not one to make someone worried about travel to the island.

Storms happen every day and ships are rerouted every day, protests that make a cruise ship turn around and run don't.  I understand your premise and I'm not trying to change your mind/opinion or even argue.  I have my opinion and you have yours.  Let's have a beer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

RCCL didn't want the passengers to see it.  

They diverted because they did not want passengers to see it and get upset not because there was any threat. A good percentage of passengers are scared of anything not comfortable middle class America.  People who don't travel abroad much. This was discussed in much detail at the time on Cruise Critic.

Edited by Charles4515

They diverted because they did not want passengers to see it and get upset not because there was any threat. A good percentage of passengers are scared of anything not comfortable middle class America.  People who don't travel abroad much. This was discussed in much detail at the time on Cruise Critic.

Do you have a link to the cruise line press release saying this?

They diverted because they did not want passengers to see it and get upset not because there was any threat. 

Doesn't matter why RCCL didn't want the passengers to see it.  They didn't want passengers to see it (the protest) and it caused a passenger ship to turn tail and run or divert!  Your words, "but mostly they did not want passsngers to see a protest".  I never mentioned anything about a "threat".  In fact, I said that I didn't know if they would be violent or not, can't prove a negative.  

Why does everything have to be contentious?  

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Was this statement verified by RCI or is this just "word on the street"?

20 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Was this statement verified by RCI or is this just "word on the street"?

There were numerous media reports. This is from Royal Caribbean Blog ( not affiliated with RCI) which quotes the Royal Caribbean statement.  

Cruise Critic member Nado44 estimated there were 10 motorized and colorful island watercraft carrying about 15-20 protesters each. Several non motorized row boaters also joined in.

The protests appear to be a result of protests as a result of local elections.

Royal Caribbean offered this statement regarding the situation in Labadee.

Today, when Freedom of the Seas arrived to Labadee, Haiti, the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest.  Although this protest was peaceful in nature, it was clear that if the protest continued, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee.

Therefore, Royal Caribbean cancelled Freedom of the Seas’ port call to Labadee.  Instead, the ship will remain at sea and call to Falmouth, Jamaica, tomorrow, as planned.

We will continue to closely monitor the situation and are in close communication with local and government officials in Haiti. At this time, we have not made any decisions regarding future port calls to Labadee.  The next schedule call is Navigator of the Seas, on Thursday, January 21.

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There were numerous media reports. This is from Royal Caribbean Blog ( not affiliated with RCI) which quotes the Royal Caribbean statement.  

Cruise Critic member Nado44 estimated there were 10 motorized and colorful island watercraft carrying about 15-20 protesters each. Several non motorized row boaters also joined in.

Today, when Freedom of the Seas arrived to Labadee, Haiti, the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest.  Although this protest was peaceful in nature, it was clear that if the protest continued, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee.

Therefore, Royal Caribbean cancelled Freedom of the Seas’ port call to Labadee.  Instead, the ship will remain at sea and call to Falmouth, Jamaica, tomorrow, as planned.

We will continue to closely monitor the situation and are in close communication with local and government officials in Haiti. At this time, we have not made any decisions regarding future port calls to Labadee.  The next schedule call is Navigator of the Seas, on Thursday, January 21.

Maybe I read this wrong , but , that sounds like a bit more than "

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

They diverted because they did not want passengers to see it and get upset

JMHO !!

Cheers

24 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Maybe I read this wrong , but , that sounds like a bit more than "

JMHO !!

Cheers

Royal Caribbean has been calling at Labadee since 1986. They lease it. 36 years. My first time there was in 1995 and I have been there 9 times. One protest in 2016. It was a one off. JMHO there is nothing to worry about. Royal will cancel the stop if there is a threat real or imagined. But if you are anxious or scared about Labadee don’t book a cruise that calls there. Simple. No one is forcing anyone. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Well that says nothing about RCI not wanting guests to see the protesters as has been stated previously, by you Chuck, as fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the incident in 2016 has nothing to do with the situation today. 

If countries are closing their embassies and telling people to stay away, it is concerning, but the cruiseline is not going to put people and property at risk.  If they think there is a potential problem, they will not take people there, even if it means diverting at the last minute.  

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well that says nothing about RCI not wanting guests to see the protesters as has been stated previously, by you Chuck, as fact.

Again if you are scared of going to Labadee don’t book a cruise that goes near there. Simple. I think some have booked cruises with Labadee as port and now regret it and are hoping RCI cancels the port.  Don’t be scared. If there is a problem or potential problem RCI will divert. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, mconthehighseas said:

I think the incident in 2016 has nothing to do with the situation today. 

If countries are closing their embassies and telling people to stay away, it is concerning, but the cruiseline is not going to put people and property at risk.  If they think there is a potential problem, they will not take people there, even if it means diverting at the last minute.  

We were scheduled to stop at Athens May 1, 2013.  It was decided that the May Day demonstrations were more than they felt was reasonable, so they decided not to stop.  RC does pay attention to things like this and adjusts if they feel it is necessary.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Royal Caribbean has been calling at Labadee since 1986. They lease it. 36 years. My first time there was in 1995 and I have been there 9 times. One protest in 2016. It was a one off. JMHO there is nothing to worry about. Royal will cancel the stop if there is a threat real or imagined. But if you are anxious or scared about Labadee don’t book a cruise that calls there. Simple. No one is forcing anyone. 

Not sure what you are responding to from my post , but that certainly wasn't in it  . 

Cheers

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They diverted because they did not want passengers to see it and get upset 

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

it was clear that if the protest continued, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee.

4 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Not sure what you are responding to from my post , but that certainly wasn't in it  . 

Cheers

Yep, I've been wondering, hoping, and waiting for a response.  I see a significant difference between the two items.  However, we did get a nice history lesson and a partial autobiography, and a statement of known fact.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, I've been wondering, hoping, and waiting for a response.  I see a significant difference between the two items.  However, we did get a nice history lesson and a partial autobiography, and a statement of known fact.  

I am stopping paying attention to you Ken. RCI is still going to Labadee. If you disagree with them take it up with them.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I am stopping paying attention to you Ken. RCI is still going to Labadee. If you disagree with them take it up with them.

You keep reposting a statement that no one has disagreed with. I guess you are now trying to stay in the realm of reality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm questioning you, not RCCL. But, nice try!  Oh, BTW, my name isn't Ken, it's Jay.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Haha 3