Level 4 Travel Advisory for Haiti

20 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I remember when there was a gang related shooting out near the street at Megan's bay. People posted threads and threads, I'm never going there again. They were shot dead, not just shot, they died.

I see people posting now asking how is the best way to get to this local beach. 

Clearly this will blow over, like always.   .. and I see to remember a hold up of a excursion out of calif, west coast. Things happen then people shrug and move on. Both of these were over 10 years ago, but things been dangerous a long time.

If you never went to any location where people have been killed, you would not have much of anywhere to go, lolol.    Personally, I'd prefer to die from a gunshot than cancer.  I'm not living life in fear.   I was in Uganda when there was a no travel warning, also in Panama when Noreiga was taken out.    Went to Peru during a major cholera outbreak in the 90's.    Wonderful memories from every trip.   And I was on the second cruise on Royal after the 2021 restart.  Life is for living.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

My grandfather was on the dock and waived goodbye to the Titanic.

My great great great great grandfather caught the silver dollar that Washington threw over the Potomac. 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Well atleast the Security Guards at Labadee walk around with Machine Guns...  Criminals in NY care less since if arrested in morning they will be back on streets in time for lunch!

So the city is safe between breakfast & lunch? 😄

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 3

Been to Labadee many times over the last 30 years including while boatloads of protestors were floating just offshore.  It was all local election related, they had no gripe with us.  Given the extreme poverty in Haiti the jobs and money Royal provides are too important for locals to allow their livelihood to be put at risk by bandits.  They will either fight them off or pay them off. 

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Remember during covid when the rumor was that local gangs broke into labadee and ransacked the place? Fun times.

But, but my neighbors brothers sister in law befriended a crew member who had a cousin on another ship who saw it first hand so it must be true.  Lol

• Haha 5

On 7/31/2023 at 4:20 PM, HBE4 said:

I would never be able to leave my house. 

I did go to towns where people were murdered frequently I wouldn’t be able to go to Detroit to fly to the cruise and Orlando, Fort Lauderdale or Miami which are our normal cruise departure ports to get on the cruise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

That change would make me very happy!  🙂 

Why are they making changes? Haven't they read the posts here about how safe everything is with having their machine gun toting guards walking around?

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Fortunately, I like my house.

Me too...and I miss my sweet little house while I hide from the heat this summer up here in Maine.  But I don't miss the every morning local news coverage of the crime in Orlando nightly.  😮   But the tourists flock there in droves anyway.  😵

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why are they making changes? Haven't they read the posts here about how safe everything is with having their machine gun toting guards walking around?

LOL...got so used to them all over the place around the Yucatan Penn.....especially around Cancun, that we barely saw them any longer.  And Cancun is another tourist mecca.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 6:06 PM, nelblu said:

You hope the security would take responsibility, but do you see the latest footage from the streets in Haiti, those thugs have a lot of guns.

I glad we visited Haiti in the past, it was more civil….. never again.

9 minutes ago, tl12356 said:

You hope the security would take responsibility, but do you see the latest footage from the streets in Haiti, those thugs have a lot of guns.

I glad we visited Haiti in the past, it was more civil….. never again.

Labadee is not the streets of Haiti. Nothing like them. I can't wait to go back to Labadee. 

There are a lot of thugs with guns in the US too. Mass shootings every week.I have relatives in Canada who are afraid visit the US.  

On 7/30/2023 at 10:33 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Why do the guards at Labadee need machine guns since the area is so safe?🤔

We have fire pit in our backyard, it has a wire shield to protect us, but my Dad taught me many years ago, don’t put your hands near the fire you may get burnt.

They are kidnapping missionaries that devote their lives to help their own people.

These people are at the end of their rope and don’t care about me or you.

21 minutes ago, tl12356 said:

They are kidnapping missionaries that devote their lives to help their own people.

Has nothing to do with Labadee. 

I hate to tell you if you don't know but missionaries have an adgenda and locals in many countries don't like them. Many do good work but some have done bad things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tl12356 said:

We have fire pit in our backyard, it has a wire shield to protect us, but my Dad taught me many years ago, don’t put your hands near the fire you may get burnt.

These people are at the end of their rope and don’t care about me or you.

So you are saying it is really Shangri-la. Apparently you didn't quite grasp my sarcasm.

On 8/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, A&L_Ont said:

I did go to towns where people were murdered frequently I wouldn’t be able to go to Detroit to fly to the cruise and Orlando, Fort Lauderdale or Miami which are our normal cruise departure ports to get on the cruise. 

But,, There have been over 23 mass shootings in Florida this year (2023). Why would anyone ever go there. 

All over the island of Mindanao in the Philippines there have been constant level3 and level4 warnings, but I know Americans who have lived there with no trouble for 15 years.  Spoke to some men who do work for the US Navy and they are not allowed to go to Mindanao, so they miss some very good surfing opportunities.