Level 4 Travel Advisory for Haiti

15 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The travel advisory changed on July 27th.  I am not sure if any of the ships have been to Labadee since the change.  It will be up to the cruise line to make a decision.  Labadee is isolated and is fenced off but those riding the zipline do go outside the gates to go up the mountain.  We will have to see if this stop is missed in the future.

The ships scheduled at Labadee after July 27th are:

July 31: Liberty - I just logged into the app for this sailing, and it shows all is normal - arriving July 31 in Labadee. 

Aug 1: Mariner

Aug 10: Oasis

Aug 14: Mariner 

Aug 28: Mariner

I guess we will see this week what affect, if any, this advisory has

Edited by Toddcan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

We got to skip Labadee once due to weather. In return, the next day we had a full day in San Juan instead of half a day. Great trade off in my opinion.

Yes, indeed.  Perfect trade off!  🙂 

We did the 1/2-day excursion to Amiga Island in 2016 and it was wonderful....but  I would not do it again.....there was zero security when we were there then, not sure if they have any now. We had locals in small boats trying to sell us fish/lobsters and they came right up to us while we were swimming. Looking back, I feel pretty naive that I allowed this happen to my loved ones and myself....but when you are on vacation, often times you let your guard down and doent think straight. We have been back to Labadee a few times since then and enjoy it but would never do another excursion outside the main area again. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, nelblu said:

I probably feel safer in Labadee than NYC, San Francisco, Detroit, etc.  At the very least Security in Labadee will take action.

You've got that right!! I totally agree!!

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I feel quite safe in NYC. And those police officers in Time Square seem a bit more on the ball than the guy guarding the gate at Labadee.

Well atleast the Security Guards at Labadee walk around with Machine Guns...  Criminals in NY care less since if arrested in morning they will be back on streets in time for lunch!

Edited by lcpagejr

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Would not bother me one bit to skip Labadee.   I used to love the place before they put in the pier and changed the whole thing.  We never swim there, since the water is so polluted.  We usually take an early morning walk, then back to the ship as the bulk of the pax are coming to the beach.  

Lunch is nice at Barefoot Beach sometimes though.  

Same here. Loved the “old” Labadee much more than the “amped” version. Same with Coco Cay. But I realize it’s all about the $$ for Royal and they make a whole lot more on the new versions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I feel quite safe in NYC. And those police officers in Time Square seem a bit more on the ball than the guy guarding the gate at Labadee.

I guess you don't read almost daily muggings on the subway.  I worked in the city for some 40 years and it's not the same.  You talk about Times Square and what about the rest of the city.  The Police are powerless. You got a Mayor that is an ex-Cop, and the crime is worse that the idiot that preceded him.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Same here. Loved the “old” Labadee much more than the “amped” version. Same with Coco Cay. But I realize it’s all about the $$ for Royal and they make a whole lot more on the new versions.

I disagree, it's much better now than before.  We don't have to fight to get some rusty loungers and no umbrellas, and many times had to wait for an individual to get us loungers, as they were all stacked up.  Also, you can ignore any amped or glitzy areas. as with Coco Cay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, orville99 said:

My parents were considering sailing on the Achille Lauro in 1985 to tick off a long standing European cruise bucket list item that my dad wanted to do, but my mom got very ill and they never went.

what does this have to do with the unrest in Haiti and cruise ship stopping at Labadee?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, crazyank said:

what does this have to do with the unrest in Haiti and cruise ship stopping at Labadee?

And my Mom was on the Andrea Doria one previous sail coming to the US before she sank.😁

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

Well atleast the Security Guards at Labadee walk around with Machine Guns...  Criminals in NY care less since if arrested in morning they will be back on streets in time for lunch!

Why do the guards at Labadee need machine guns since the area is so safe?🤔

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I guess you don't read almost daily muggings on the subway.  I worked in the city for some 40 years and it's not the same.  You talk about Times Square and what about the rest of the city.  The Police are powerless. You got a Mayor that is an ex-Cop, and the crime is worse that the idiot that preceded him.

No argument from me on the the recent nayors of NYC.

We aren't cruising until the end of November with our one port Labadee. Where would they normally redirect a cruise out of Miami on a 4 nighter? 

We're doing a back to back and the 2nd leg is going to Cozumel. 

21 hours ago, smedley_odwin said:

Our trip on celebrity reflection next year has already cancelled labadee because of this and going to grand cayman instead 

Thanks. At least 3 times in last 30yrs for unrest and even Civil War mine were Canceled. One year I was to stop there on a Cruise, canceled and my US Army Buddies were about to Land on Island

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny you should say that. Was riding to our Cruise in Ft Lauderdale with couple Families from one European Countries, Can't remember which one's. They were getting worked up, scared, thought something had happened. Thy couldn't understand why so many Security/Cop Cars with lites Flashing. The Armed Security at the Port including some Automatic Machine Guns. Can understand if new them them. Told Them this is a Monday at Port Everglades, like every day... First time I went to Mexico, and many times after would see them carrying M-16's, same Weapon I used at the time

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Have you ever walked through a Airport Terminal in Europe?? You will see military/police with rifesover their shoulder

• Like 2

18 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Labadee is isolated and is fenced off but those riding the zipline do go outside the gates to go up the mountain.  We will have to see if this stop is missed in the future.

I wonder if this is why the zipline has not shown up in my planner for Labadee (March 2024 sailing). 

• Like 1

Published 10/14/2022 in Missionary Network News:

”Haiti (MNN) — Riots continue to rock Haiti. For Haiti With Love’s Eva DeHart says they’re no longer limited to the capital. Widespread protests and gang violence now affect Cap Haïtien, 123 miles north of Port-au-Prince.

“The population is saying that they’re not going to stop until the Prime Minister leaves Haiti,” DeHart says.

Store shelves are bare because delivery trucks cannot reach the city. “Many Haitians live hand to mouth; they’re out trying to get enough food for their families for that day,” DeHart says.

“This (unrest) is making it even harder because now sometimes they can’t find anything, even if they have money.”

34 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Published 10/14/2022 in Missionary Network News:

”Haiti (MNN) — Riots continue to rock Haiti. For Haiti With Love’s Eva DeHart says they’re no longer limited to the capital. Widespread protests and gang violence now affect Cap Haïtien, 123 miles north of Port-au-Prince.

“The population is saying that they’re not going to stop until the Prime Minister leaves Haiti,” DeHart says.

Store shelves are bare because delivery trucks cannot reach the city. “Many Haitians live hand to mouth; they’re out trying to get enough food for their families for that day,” DeHart says.

“This (unrest) is making it even harder because now sometimes they can’t find anything, even if they have money.”

An article from nine months ago supports the danger theory?  Got anything more recent that the riots are close to Labadee? 

26 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

An article from nine months ago supports the danger theory?  Got anything more recent that the riots are close to Labadee? 

Don’t need one. Y’all keep saying that violence will never get close to Labadee. Just discrediting that illusion. See ya…

• Like 1