Classical Music Currently

foodsvcmgr

What’s the current situation with Lincoln Center or any classical music aboard?

Are there duos on every ship?

Where do they perform if present?

Has anyone seen a full scale production show of classical music as was originally promised to rotate through the fleet?

Thanks for any updates.

Edited by foodsvcmgr
Misspelled

• foodsvcmgr changed the title to Classical Music Currently

Classical music as we used to know it doesn't exist on any of the ships.  Some version of Lincoln Center Stage music is supposed to rotate on some ships as guest entertainment (perhaps 2 nights per week), but it may be limited to the longer cruises (not the 7-night itineraries).  So far I don't think we've seen it at all - anywhere.

Sue/WDW1972

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Has anyone seen a full scale production show of classical music as was originally promised to rotate through the fleet?

We had a fantastic classical pianist in the World Stage last month on the Nieuw Statendam.  Amazing performance and so much better than LCS.

• Like 2

We just got off the Zuiderdam July 22, 2023 and had a conversation with the Cruise Director the day before and were informed that a  Clasical Music group, put together by HAL, was coming on board the 22nd for the Voyage of The Vikings.  It probaby won't be using the Lincoln Center name. This group would then get off the Zuiderdam and go to the Zaandam to play, date unknown. This s  probably happening to work out the "kinks"  before implementing this venue to all ships.  There was no time table as to when all ships will get classical music back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Currently on Rotterdam. No classical music anywhere. All traces of LCS are gone.  Only BBK and RS for live music.  Main stage shows on the 7 night were Step One dancers (x3), a saxophonist (x2), HAL history, and no show (x1).  Now on a 14 day leg so we will likely see the same three Step One shows.  Noticed David Copperfield is scheduled twice in the coming days.  No guest speakers, just the cruise/travel director presenting from a memorized script.  Food is excellent as is the crew.  

2 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

Currently on Rotterdam. No classical music anywhere. All traces of LCS are gone.  Only BBK and RS for live music.  Main stage shows on the 7 night were Step One dancers (x3), a saxophonist (x2), HAL history, and no show (x1).  Now on a 14 day leg so we will likely see the same three Step One shows.  Noticed David Copperfield is scheduled twice in the coming days.  No guest speakers, just the cruise/travel director presenting from a memorized script.  Food is excellent as is the crew.  

What about the two pianists/singers in Billboard Onboard? Surely they are still a thing?

1 hour ago, Nang said:

What about the two pianists/singers in Billboard Onboard? Surely they are still a thing?

We just got off the Rotterdam last week and the Billboard Onboard plays two or three sets (45 mins if I remember correctly) .  Same for Rolling Stones and BB King.   Music is kinda like food.  What I enjoy might not be to your liking but we thought Rolling Stone band was great, BB King was very good and the Billboard Onboard wasn’t very good.  That disappointed us because we really like the dueling pianos.

18 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

We just got off the Rotterdam last week and the Billboard Onboard plays two or three sets (45 mins if I remember correctly) .  Same for Rolling Stones and BB King.   Music is kinda like food.  What I enjoy might not be to your liking but we thought Rolling Stone band was great, BB King was very good and the Billboard Onboard wasn’t very good.  That disappointed us because we really like the dueling pianos.

The Billboard Onboard performers tend to be OK entertainers with their weakness being their vocal abilities, unlike those who preceded them in the piano bar days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nang said:

The Billboard Onboard performers tend to be OK entertainers with their weakness being their vocal abilities, unlike those who preceded them in the piano bar days.

I agree completely regarding our experience on the Rotterdam but last year on the Westerdam I thought they were exceptional.   Again, hit and miss

2 hours ago, Nang said:

On Eurodam this winter, the man had a very nice voice. The woman tended to screech. Between that and the overall volume, I didn't last long there.

I was just on NS for 7 nights and there was no classical music. I don't understand the decision to get rid of classical music but keep both Billboard and Rolling Stone. HAL should really cast a wider net. It wasn't clear to me who they're trying appeal to. I'm solid Gen X, which would be smart demographic for them to court if they wan longevity and a younger clientele. Unfortunately, the music (even the "rock" music) wasn't my demographic.

HAL used to do a pretty good job finding talent without all of the expensive brands.   I found those artists from the branded arena simply were not as good as pre-brand.  I am hoping they soon assemble a talent pool for diverse, quality, independent entertainment 

• Like 4

Eurodam last week had no classical music. The former Lincoln Center stage area just sat empty. The only time I saw it used was as overflow seatting for people waiting for tables in the dining room.

Fortunately the BB King band was fantastic so we spent most of our evenings in there.

The "entertainment" they have in the world stage now is pretty uninspiring. The couple shows we went to were maybe 1/4 full.

We are cruising HAL again in Dec so I hope they get this figured out soon.

22 hours ago, c-cruise said:

The former Lincoln Center stage area just sat empty. The only time I saw it used was as overflow seatting for people waiting for tables in the dining room.

Kind of puts paid to the idea that HAL "desperately" needed that space for something that would bring in more revenue....

🤔

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, c-cruise said:

Eurodam last week had no classical music. The former Lincoln Center stage area just sat empty. The only time I saw it used was as overflow seatting for people waiting for tables in the dining room.

Fortunately the BB King band was fantastic so we spent most of our evenings in there.

The "entertainment" they have in the world stage now is pretty uninspiring. The couple shows we went to were maybe 1/4 full.

Friends just got home from the same Eurodam July 22 cruise you were on. Their comments about the entertainment are nearly identical to yours !   One is a previous HAL Alaska cruiser, the other was a first -timer.   But they had a great time.

Edited by Boatdrill

2 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

First time on HAL this Nov. One feature that attracted us was LCS. So disappointed.

On the bright side, it'll be your first time on HAL so you don't know what it used to be like. I think it'll be less disappointing that way 😅

• Haha 1

Spent 15 days on board the Rotterdam in July visiting the fiords of Norway and crossing the arctic circle to North Cape. Our enjoyment was diminished by the absence of Lincoln Center Stage -- even though some signage remained as pain-inducing vestiges. 

I happened to walk past the lounge area where the five members of the Rolling Stone Rock 'n Roll ensemble were submitting to interview questions. One of the musicians said something to the effect that between BB King's and their gig, HAL had all of the musical bases covered. I did not remonstrate until afterwards when I button-holed the cruise director (who on the whole ranged from mediocre to lackluster). I emphatically made note of our disappointment at the loss of LCS. She spouted the HAL party line: together HAL and the folks at Lincoln Center are coming up with a new format whereby the LCS performers will perform on the World Stage as part of the overall entertainment rotation. I was not mollified. For many many HAL passengers the LCS recitals were their introduction to chamber music, and invariably attendance grew over the course of the cruise. Moreover, the concert hall is not the right venue for experiencing chamber music. The intimacy of the LCS performance space, together with the finely tuned acoustics, made for a very satisfying experience. And, most of all, what a bonehead move to discontinue LCS as we've known it BEFORE the new format is in place. 

We did enjoy the 3-show repertoire of the One Step Dance Company at the World Stage.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Spent 15 days on board the Rotterdam in July visiting the fiords of Norway and crossing the arctic circle to North Cape. Our enjoyment was diminished by the absence of Lincoln Center Stage -- even though some signage remained as pain-inducing vestiges. 

I happened to walk past the lounge area where the five members of the Rolling Stone Rock 'n Roll ensemble were submitting to interview questions. One of the musicians said something to the effect that between BB King's and their gig, HAL had all of the musical bases covered. I did not remonstrate until afterwards when I button-holed the cruise director (who on the whole ranged from mediocre to lackluster). I emphatically made note of our disappointment at the loss of LCS. She spouted the HAL party line: together HAL and the folks at Lincoln Center are coming up with a new format whereby the LCS performers will perform on the World Stage as part of the overall entertainment rotation. I was not mollified. For many many HAL passengers the LCS recitals were their introduction to chamber music, and invariably attendance grew over the course of the cruise. Moreover, the concert hall is not the right venue for experiencing chamber music. The intimacy of the LCS performance space, together with the finely tuned acoustics, made for a very satisfying experience. And, most of all, what a bonehead move to discontinue LCS as we've known it BEFORE the new format is in place. 

We did enjoy the 3-show repertoire of the One Step Dance Company at the World Stage.

I commend you on your restraint. I would have stood up and shouted something very rude at that musician! What incredible arrogance and ignorance. 

I keep seeing posts from people who were told LCS would return in the rotation on the mainstage. I think that's just something CDs say to mollify people, but I doubt it will happen. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I keep seeing posts from people who were told LCS would return in the rotation on the mainstage. I think that's just something CDs say to mollify people, but I doubt it will happen. 

I've thought the same; have heard this kind of talk before about other things that went bye-bye.

10 hours ago, Petronillus said:

They don't even have all the bases covered for what I've been listening to this morning - it's been a random rotation amongst downloaded music: country (I guess that's what John Denver is...maybe "folk"?), bluegrass (Steep Canyon Rangers), various forms of jazz (Duke Ellington, Acoustic Alchemy, David Benoit), swing (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy)...and probably some more I forgot appeared while I was writing a report.

On various cruise lines, we have always loved having a string ensemble or chamber group to listen to either before or after dinner - and at random other times when we can. It is a serious deficiency that HAL has discontinued this form of entertainment.

• Like 1