Insurance - Mandatory or just recommended?

JeanKC

Hi

Can anyone tell me if getting travel insurance is mandatory or just recommended? I thought it was mandatory and we do have it as we have annual multi-trip policies, but I was expecting to be asked to upload proof of insurance as part of our on-line check-in, but wasn't. So, now I'm wondering if I need to worry about bringing proof of insurance with us at all? 

Thanks

1 minute ago, JeanKC said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me if getting travel insurance is mandatory or just recommended? I thought it was mandatory and we do have it as we have annual multi-trip policies, but I was expecting to be asked to upload proof of insurance as part of our on-line check-in, but wasn't. So, now I'm wondering if I need to worry about bringing proof of insurance with us at all? 

Thanks

@JeanKC I have never heard that Cruise Travel Insurance was Mandatory.  Always an options supported by so many who post they did not have and and got stuck with a big bill on-board. 

My I suggest you double check what is and is not covered with your policy.  Also, there is a big difference between coverages especially compared to what most cruise lines offer. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JeanKC said:

Hi

Thanks

In the United States, travel insurance of any kind, is purely optional for customers to purchase.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of Americans do not purchase travel insurance for most of their travel.

Since you live in Ireland, the rules may differ.  Hopefully those who reply to this question will know what they are talking about for Ireland.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@JeanKC I have never heard that Cruise Travel Insurance was Mandatory.  Always an options supported by so many who post they did not have and and got stuck with a big bill on-board. 

My I suggest you double check what is and is not covered with your policy.  Also, there is a big difference between coverages especially compared to what most cruise lines offer. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Thank you - It was compulsory to have travel insurance on our last cruise (different cruise line) earlier this year and they asked for proof of insurance. Doesn't have to be cruise specific, just a standard policy that covers medical, repatriation, etc. Same policy still in place so I'm happy that it covers what I need it to cover but I'm just surprised that we did not have to have it. 

4 minutes ago, JeanKC said:

Thank you - It was compulsory to have travel insurance on our last cruise (different cruise line) earlier this year and they asked for proof of insurance. Doesn't have to be cruise specific, just a standard policy that covers medical, repatriation, etc. Same policy still in place so I'm happy that it covers what I need it to cover but I'm just surprised that we did not have to have it. 

You are smart.  I'm a believer in having travel insurance for the medical issues.  I purchase an annual plan from an insurance carrier to cover this.  It doesn't cover things like trip cancellation, lost luggage, delayed flights, etc.  I can deal with money loss from those things.  But if you have a medical issue on another continent and need to be evacuated back home.... that's where I want to be insured.  Since I take multiple international trips per year, I just buy an annual plan instead of one for every trip I take.   Speaking of...it's time to renew mine before I jet off to Switzerland in September!  Safe travels.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeanKC said:

Cruise insurance is not mandatory.

Cruise insurance is not just recommended.

You need to make your own decision based on what your national health insurance/private insurance covers while traveling abroad. 

There were a few cruise lines that required you carry insurance to cover the cost of COVID and quarantines after the restart if you were not vaccinated. At restart, NCL required 100% vaccination, so that was never an NCL requirement. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diver2014 said:

While not required, we always purchase insurance.  If you can afford to lose all the money you paid for your cruise, then insurance is optional but it's your decision. 

Thanks - Yes, we do always get insurance and have it in place, but I wasn't sure if NCL would want to see proof of this. It seems not as it is not a requirement, just a nice to have. So, my insurance docs can stay saved wherever I have them saved........onedrive somewhere, and I won't worry about having anything other than a phone number and policy number handy on the cruise, should I need to contact them. 

Thanks everyone for your guidance. 😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeanKC said:

Hi

Thanks

In the US it is suggested. In Ireland it may be required.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Cruise insurance is not mandatory.

Cruise insurance is not just recommended.

You need to make your own decision based on what your national health insurance/private insurance covers while traveling abroad. 

There were a few cruise lines that required you carry insurance to cover the cost of COVID and quarantines after the restart if you were not vaccinated. At restart, NCL required 100% vaccination, so that was never an NCL requirement. 

You need to consider that OP is in Ireland before making such specific claims,

7 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I'm gonna go with it not being required. As I said in another post we do actually have it, but it's looking like NCL don't care one way or the other. I don't think country of citizenship actually makes a difference as it's the cruise company who makes a decision on who boards their ship and what they need. I have it anyway, just won't worry about bringing the paperwork. 😀

32 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I really wish folks would chime in, ahead of time, when asking these type of questions. I never look at where a poster is from (shame on me, I suppose), answer the question, then realize ahhhh crap, they're Brits. When someone does state it, at least I can be like oh they're from Mozambique, I'm going to ignore this question as I haven't the slightest idea what terms and conditions they book under are.

38 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You need to consider that OP is in Ireland before making such specific claims,

Agreed. 

I lived in the UK for many years and never had to carry insurance when we cruised. That being said, it has been a number of years since I lived there. 

49 minutes ago, JeanKC said:

I'm gonna go with it not being required. As I said in another post we do actually have it, but it's looking like NCL don't care one way or the other. I don't think country of citizenship actually makes a difference as it's the cruise company who makes a decision on who boards their ship and what they need. I have it anyway, just won't worry about bringing the paperwork. 😀

What kind of paper work is required to prove you have insurance?  There have been reports that you either have to prove you have insurance or  you have to produce a credit card.  

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What kind of paper work is required to prove you have insurance?  There have been reports that you either have to prove you have insurance or  you have to produce a credit card.  

Insurance schedule, letter confirming policy in place from insurer, anything like that is usually sufficient when it is required. In this case, it isn't, so it doesn't actually matter. 

1 minute ago, JeanKC said:

Insurance schedule, letter confirming policy in place from insurer, anything like that is usually sufficient when it is required. In this case, it isn't, so it doesn't actually matter. 

If that's all that's required, take a photograph with your phone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JeanKC said:

Hi

Thanks

Not required as far as I’m aware. BUT, I would never ever ever travel without supplementary health insurance coverage outside of the country unless your plan covers it. Just pay for it because you never think it will happen to you. I had a coworker that was in a life changing accident overseas without insurance and ended up hospitalized in a foreign country for months. Family had to take second mortgage and raise tens of thousands to cover the medical bills and medical flight home. They ended up selling their house when they returned. The accident ended up being life altering physically and also financially because they had no insurance coverage. 

Edited by COcruise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, COcruise said:

Not required as far as I’m aware. BUT, I would never ever ever travel without supplementary health insurance coverage outside of the country unless your plan covers it. Just pay for it because you never think it will happen to you. I had a coworker that was in a life changing accident overseas without insurance and ended up hospitalized in a foreign country for months. Family had to take second mortgage and raise tens of thousands to cover the medical bills and medical flight home. They ended up selling their house when they returned. The accident ended up being life altering physically and also financially because they had no insurance coverage. 

The person you are replying to has insurance. They are just asking whether they need to take proof.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I really wish folks would chime in, ahead of time, when asking these type of questions. I never look at where a poster is from (shame on me, I suppose), answer the question, then realize ahhhh crap, they're Brits. When someone does state it, at least I can be like oh they're from Mozambique, I'm going to ignore this question as I haven't the slightest idea what terms and conditions they book under are.

Folks reading CC on a phone, as I’m doing right now, can’t see where any posters are from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Folks reading CC on a phone, as I’m doing right now, can’t see where any posters are from. 

Great point! I don't often look at Cruise Critic from my phone, but I do recall not seeing location now that you say it.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

A very important point of order - being from Ireland does NOT mean we are Brits! We fought for serveral hundred years for our independence!  🤦‍♀️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

A very important point of order - being from Ireland does NOT mean we are Brits! We fought for serveral hundred years for our independence!  🤦‍♀️

I don't believe Mozambique is in Ireland either. 🙂 I was selecting countries as they came to my mind, not based on the posting. Next time, I'll be sure to discuss the Kiwis. 

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

Same thing here in the USA, fight only lasted 8 years.

• Haha 1