Please help us narrow down our choices

dcjb94

So many questions, sorry to overload one post.Ā  We are early 60s, just DH and me, don't mind crowds/kids, love the shows, especially Karaoke (watching, not participating šŸ™‚)

Looking for ports as excursions-not planning on booking excursions or taking a taxi or long walks outside of port (don't mind a long pier walk)

Narrowed down our choices between Royal Caribbean and Carnival:Ā 

Ā 

1. Symphony of the Seas:Ā  Labadee, Aruba, Curacao (8 night)

2. Wonder of the Seas: Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya (7 night)

3. Oasis of the Seas: Nassau, Coco Cay, Labadee, Falmouth (7 night)

4.Odyssey: Coco Cay, Labadee, Puerta Plata (6 night)

5. Carnival Celebration: Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas (7 night)

6. C. Magic: Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas (8 night)

7. C. Mardi Gras: Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk (7 night)

8. Wonder of the Seas: Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya (7 day)

Ā 

P.S. would you immediately veto any of them

Thanks So Much!

Ā 

Edited by dcjb94
add additional content

My clear favorite is Royal Caribbean - and the mentioned ships, both Oasis and Quantum Class ships, are my favourites.

I'm surprised that RC cruises are only the Western Caribbean/ Bahamas - my favorite is definitely the Eastern or Southern Caribbean.

The mentioned ships also sail to the Eastern Caribbean.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2

There are a lot of ā€˜portsā€™ on those itineraries that have been created by the cruise lines as getaways for their guests. Ā Coco Cay, private island/beach day. Ā Amber cove: pool and zip line. Ā Roatan: Ā Coxen Hole is the port, Ā it there is nothing there but a straw market unless you do an excursion. Ā Labadee, Puerto Plata, Ā created for cruisers. Ā Grand Turk: Ā Amber Cove but older. Ā The only itineraries that go to ā€˜realā€™ places are #1 for Aruba and CuraƧao, #5 for San Juan and St. Thomas, and #6 for San Juan, St Thomas and St. Maarten. Ā Those are the only itineraries to see a real port and enjoy exploring without taking an excursion. Ā Because of the number of ports, I would choose #6. Ā EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

There are a lot of ā€˜portsā€™ on those itineraries that have been created by the cruise lines as getaways for their guests. Ā Coco Cay, private island/beach day. Ā Amber cove: pool and zip line. Ā Roatan: Ā Coxen Hole is the port, Ā it there is nothing there but a straw market unless you do an excursion. Ā Labadee, Puerto Plata, Ā created for cruisers. Ā Grand Turk: Ā Amber Cove but older. Ā The only itineraries that go to ā€˜realā€™ places are #1 for Aruba and CuraƧao, #5 for San Juan and St. Thomas, and #6 for San Juan, St Thomas and St. Maarten. Ā Those are the only itineraries to see a real port and enjoy exploring without taking an excursion. Ā Because of the number of ports, I would choose #6. Ā EM

Thank You!Ā  That gives us a lot to think about.Ā  DH seems happy to focus on the ship more than the ports, but we definitely want to experience at least a glimpse of the caribbean.

7 hours ago, dcjb94 said:

So many questions, sorry to overload one post.Ā  We are early 60s, just DH and me, don't mind crowds/kids, love the shows, especially Karaoke (watching, not participating šŸ™‚)

Looking for ports as excursions-not planning on booking excursions or taking a taxi or long walks outside of port (don't mind a long pier walk)

Ā 

1. Symphony of the Seas:Ā  Labadee, Aruba, Curacao (8 night)..5518 passengers.Ā  Too large.

2. Wonder of the Seas: Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya (7 night).Ā Ā 5734 passengers.Ā  Too large.

3. Oasis of the Seas: Nassau, Coco Cay, Labadee, Falmouth (7 night).Ā Ā 5602.Ā  Same problem.

4.Odyssey: Coco Cay, Labadee, Puerta Plata (6 night).Ā 4918.Ā  Smaller but still too large.

5. Carnival Celebration: Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas (7 night)Ā Ā 5374.Ā  Same problem.

6. C. Magic: Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas (8 night).Ā Ā 4631.Ā  Least so far

7. C. Mardi Gras: Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk (7 night)/Ā Ā 5282.Ā  Rediculously large.

8. Wonder of the Seas: Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya (7 day)Ā 5734 [assengers.Ā  Worse yet.

Ā 

Thanks So Much!

Ā 

Ā Ā 

Ā 

IMHO all of them are oversized monstrosities,Ā  Wouldn't cruise on any of them regardless of the ports..Ā Ā 

Ā 

DON

First, your choice isn't just which ship and itinerary, it's also WHEN to travel.Ā  I'm mid-50s and retired, so I prefer to cruise in the fall.Ā  Smaller crowds, lower prices, perfect weather -- unless you get a hurricane, which is a possibility.Ā  You'll never be in danger from a hurricane (because your captain will never take the ship anywhere near such a beast), but it's possible your itinerary could be changed; for example, you could miss an island or have another one substituted.Ā  (This is unlikely.)Ā 

Ā 

We have chosen to stick with Royal Caribbean.Ā  Not because I think they're head-and-shoulders better than other lines, but because by sticking with ONE LINE you build up loyalty points /get some rewards. On the other hand, unless you cruise much more than we do, skipping from line to line would mean never building up real rewards on any line.Ā  And we like their product /find it fits our family's travel personality.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Having said all that, I recommend this cruise:Ā 

2. Wonder of the Seas: Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya (7 night).Ā Ā I think you put this one in twice -- #2 and #8, so you must favor it.Ā  This is a mega-ship, so be sure that's what you want -- look over all the food options, show options, etc.Ā  But Coco Cay is almost universally loved, and you've got three more good island stops with a good variety of activities.Ā Ā 

Ā 

My second choice would be:Ā 

1. Symphony of the Seas:Ā  Labadee, Aruba, Curacao (8 night).Ā  Another mega-ship.Ā  Labadee isn't as nice as Coco Cay.Ā  I loved Aruba but found Curacao just so-so; oh, I'd totally go back to Curacao, but I'd prefer the stops on the other cruise.Ā  8 nights is nicer than 7!Ā  But only three stops in 8 nights -- I personally look for the combination of great amenities on the ship AND island stops.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I do not recommend:Ā 

3. Oasis of the Seas: Nassau, Coco Cay, Labadee, Falmouth (7 night).Ā  Oh, the ship's great, but I don't like the itinerary.Ā  My husband and I've said we'll never visit Nasasu again.Ā  Coco Cay is great and Labadee is good, but I don't really want TWO beach-stop island-stops in one trip; I'd rather have a variety of activities for the islands.Ā  And Falmouth isn't my first choice.Ā 

Ā 

I can't say anything about the Carnival ships.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

First, your choice isn't just which ship and itinerary, it's also WHEN to travel.Ā  I'm mid-50s and retired, so I prefer to cruise in the fall.Ā  Smaller crowds, lower prices, perfect weather -- unless you get a hurricane, which is a possibility.Ā  You'll never be in danger from a hurricane (because your captain will never take the ship anywhere near such a beast), but it's possible your itinerary could be changed; for example, you could miss an island or have another one substituted.Ā  (This is unlikely.)Ā 

Ā 

We have chosen to stick with Royal Caribbean.Ā  Not because I think they're head-and-shoulders better than other lines, but because by sticking with ONE LINE you build up loyalty points /get some rewards. On the other hand, unless you cruise much more than we do, skipping from line to line would mean never building up real rewards on any line.Ā  And we like their product /find it fits our family's travel personality.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Having said all that, I recommend this cruise:Ā 

2. Wonder of the Seas: Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya (7 night).Ā Ā I think you put this one in twice -- #2 and #8, so you must favor it.Ā  This is a mega-ship, so be sure that's what you want -- look over all the food options, show options, etc.Ā  But Coco Cay is almost universally loved, and you've got three more good island stops with a good variety of activities.Ā Ā 

Ā 

My second choice would be:Ā 

1. Symphony of the Seas:Ā  Labadee, Aruba, Curacao (8 night).Ā  Another mega-ship.Ā  Labadee isn't as nice as Coco Cay.Ā  I loved Aruba but found Curacao just so-so; oh, I'd totally go back to Curacao, but I'd prefer the stops on the other cruise.Ā  8 nights is nicer than 7!Ā  But only three stops in 8 nights -- I personally look for the combination of great amenities on the ship AND island stops.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I do not recommend:Ā 

3. Oasis of the Seas: Nassau, Coco Cay, Labadee, Falmouth (7 night).Ā  Oh, the ship's great, but I don't like the itinerary.Ā  My husband and I've said we'll never visit Nasasu again.Ā  Coco Cay is great and Labadee is good, but I don't really want TWO beach-stop island-stops in one trip; I'd rather have a variety of activities for the islands.Ā  And Falmouth isn't my first choice.Ā 

Ā 

I can't say anything about the Carnival ships.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks!Ā  We have to go this week as we are cruising along with going to Cardinals Spring Training and I'm off work forĀ Spring break that week.Ā  I didn't realize I put Wonder twice. lolĀ  Not sure why I did that.Ā  I wish Symphony went to Coco Cay instead of Labadee but hopefully we would still love it.Ā  I agree with Oasis and took that out of the mix as don't want to go to Falmouth.

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I would be more inclined to avoid the ones that "do karaoke "

Hopefully more people think like you so it won't be as crowded.Ā  šŸ™‚Ā Ā Some of the venues look pretty small.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:03 PM, dcjb94 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks So Much!

Ā 

Certainly #3 - no ports are appealing. # 6 has two distinctly worthwhile ports: San Juan and St. Maarten - but what do you want - interesting ports, Ā good beaches, or good shipboard experience? Ā Iā€™d suggest you identify your interests and then research what each itinerary offers.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, dcjb94 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks So Much!

Ā 

Am I misinterpreting that you really do not want to do anything in the ports but maybe walk on a pier? In that case the cruise is your destination, and that's fine, whatever works. I am drawn to RCCL and Celebrity because they are familiar to me, but I typically pick ships for itinerary, because that is important to me also.

I'm suggesting that you spend a little more time focusing on itinerary. Check outĀ  the ABC islands, if you get a chance- Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Give it a try!Ā Ā šŸ™‚

The problem with focusing on one line to build up points is that it can blind you to real costs every time you book a cruise. Loyalty points rarely are worth more that one or two hundred (or even several hundred) dollars on any particular cruise - and if you check all options on all lines for the time you want to sail, you can frequently find significant fare differences, or better itineraries - sticking to just one line can often mean paying more in the long run while missing on itineraries you might have preferred

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The problem with focusing on one line to build up points is that it can blind you to real costs every time you book a cruise. Loyalty points rarely are worth more that one or two hundred (or even several hundred) dollars on any particular cruise - and if you check all options on all lines for the time you want to sail, you can frequently find significant fare differences, or better itineraries - sticking to just one line can often mean paying more in the long run while missing on itineraries you might have preferred

This is a very valid point. We typically decide which itinerary we want to do and when we want to do it and then look for the cruise line that will get us there for the least amount. We're now in the position where we can also factor in total cost. We now get the drink package every sailing and at least one WiFi package. There are many cruise lines that will include these items in your fare (along with tips). You'll pay more at final payment but overall your costs could be less.

Ā 

Here's our direct experience. We were looking for a cruise in February 2025 and wanted to do a Southern Caribbean itinerary. We compared lines and it came down to Carnival and Celebrity. Of course Celebrity had the highest upfront cost, but since they give you the option of including the drink package, tips, WiFi in your fare overall they were several hundred dollars less than the comparable Carnival sailing. Since it is our overall goal to sail as many lines as possible (without spending more in the process if we can) we booked with Celebrity.

Ā 

Fast forward to today. Our Celebrity cruise was cancelled because they are relocating the ship's homeport prior to that sailing so now we have to start from scratch. I still have to check the other lines but keeping to Carnival and Celebrity they each have a cruise to the ABC islands in February 2025. Celebrity is 7 nights, Carnival 8 nights. This time around the all in price on Celebrity is $500 more than the Carnival cruise. We're leaning Carnival this time but as I said, I still have to check on the other lines.Ā 

• Like 1

I love the entertainment on oasis class so I would pick oasis or the newest oasis class ship wonder , great aqua and ice show among others. We pick cruise more based on entertainment than anything else at least for our Caribbean cruises.

• Like 1