The Points Guy review of Crystal Serenity

Stickman1990

There was no doubt that the new Crystal will be good.

To me, the big question is - is it in a different league compared to Silversea (and other luxury lines)? Because based on prices, it should be. And if not, what's the reason to sail on Crystal and not SS (unless of course money is not an issue at all).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

To me, the big question is - is it in a different league compared to Silversea (and other luxury lines)? Because based on prices, it should be. And if not, what's the reason to sail on Crystal and not SS (unless of course money is not an issue at all).

The ridiculous dresscode on SS and the belligerent way it is enforced is all the difference most people would need.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is the key question for me.  Cabin size is an important consideration for me, but not a decisive one. Having a veranda is non negotiable.  I have lots of nights on Crystal and would be pleased to return.  But the solo fares for a room with verandah are simply out of sight, especially when compared with solo fares on Silversea. (I book early.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

The ridiculous dresscode on SS and the belligerent way it is enforced is all the difference most people would need.

I respectfully disagree. My last SS cruise was six weeks.  I never once put on my sport jacket or a necktie.  And I was not skimping on variety, and I only very rarely ate in my cabin, with the meal served course by course.

1 minute ago, Observer said:

I respectfully disagree. My last SS cruise was six weeks.  I never once put on my sport jacket or a necktie.  And I was not skimping on variety, and I only very rarely ate in my cabin, with the meal served course by course.

Lucky you! We spent 33 nights (three segments) on Moon in February/March and the Formal/Informal dresscode was enforced on 23 of them, including every sea day and two of the three last nights. Don't misunderstand, I have no problem with dressing up, but 23 of 33 is just a bit ridiculous! We don't cruise to play Dress-Up every night!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

We don't cruise to play Dress-Up every night!

No need.  On infomal nights (the most common) on the newer, larger ships like Moon one can dine casual at three restaurants (and in the suite).  On the infrequent formal nights there remain two casual outlets and one where one can dress informal (gents: jacket but no tie).

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Entertainment, Enrichment, Food are examples of the different league.  

Keith

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, texanaust said:

I suspect your answer is quite subjective considering you have not been on Silversea lately.

Actually I had a long conversation today with someone who knows entertainment very well and was on several Silversea ships over the past several months and said these three a some of the major differences between the lines.  And yes that was consistent with my views from my sailings.

Their emphasis and where they spend a lot of their money is excursions.

Each line is different.

So you figure out which things are important to you.

And as long as we are talking about differences the other difference is the crew.

Keith

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I have been on Silversea as recently as Dec., 2022, and I vote with Keith. 

Patty

And we have been on Silversea in the past year, and I also concur with Keith.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Well, Silversea was just an example. Searbourn prices are also significantly lower than Crystal, and the dress code on SB is much more relaxed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Entertainment, Enrichment, Food are examples of the different league.  

Keith

I agree about Entertainment and Enrichment, but it's less important on port intensive sailings where you spend most of the day in the ports.

We can only compare one cruise on the old Crystal with one cruise on SS in 2022, but I found the food comparable in terms of quality, with SS having more dining choices.

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, Silversea was just an example. Searbourn prices are also significantly lower than Crystal, and the dress code on SB is much more relaxed. 

Add to that the dress codes and quality and that of Regent and the newcomer in Explora.

And of course the Points Guy -- influencer.  Do you really think that is an unbiased opinion.   Yeah sure put up in a brand new suite.  I would like to see their opinion in an old Veranda or unrenovated PH.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Observer said:

This is the key question for me.  Cabin size is an important consideration for me, but not a decisive one. Having a veranda is non negotiable.  I have lots of nights on Crystal and would be pleased to return.  But the solo fares for a room with verandah are simply out of sight, especially when compared with solo fares on Silversea. (I book early.)

For us the cabin size in on the bottom of our priorities list and 215 sqft is completely sufficient. But the 215 sqft on Crystal cost 10-20% more than entry level cabins on SS which are 305 sqft. And if you compare comparable cabins (AQUAMARINE), the difference becomes very significant. So I'm trying to understand what I'm paying for, not to mention a much older ship (even fully renovated). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

Me too - and I won't be going back to SS. Nothing to do with dress code - it just got nowhere near OC standards across the board - oh, OK a standard Crystal room does not compare but a room is just a room for me / us.
Back to NC in a few weeks. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

And of course the Points Guy -- influencer.  Do you really think that is an unbiased opinion.   

Hold on! Do you think he was comped for that cruise? Really? I don't recall his saying so. 

• Haha 1