Zaandam Karaoke Question

Lakesregion

I haven't seen Karaoke on a HAL ship in ages. The last time I remember seeing it on a HAL ship was in 2010, and I don't remember the music going back to the 40s or 50s. There may have been a 60s song or two. 

• Like 1

I hope to never see Karaoke on a HAL ship - I don't see the appeal at all and certainly wouldn't participate (passengers might hurl themselves overboard, lol).  I expect HAL to provide the music/entertainment - not the passengers.

Been cruising HAL about 30 years or so now and have never seen karaoke onboard.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

I hope to never see Karaoke on a HAL ship - I don't see the appeal at all and certainly wouldn't participate (passengers might hurl themselves overboard, lol).  I expect HAL to provide the music/entertainment - not the passengers.

Been cruising HAL about 30 years or so now and have never seen karaoke onboard.

Sue/WDW1972

Amen to that! The caterwauling from Billboard on my last cruise was bad enough.

• Haha 4

I've been on several cruises over the years that had Passenger Talent Shows (quite different from karaoke) that were very good and entertaining. Not every act, of course, but the professional entertainers brought aboard aren't all great, either. 
Passengers we had gotten to know a little bit, even people we hadn't interacted with, showed a different part of themselves and it was a really good time. 

These were not evening entertainment, but rather were daytime shows, on a sea day. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see passengers perform. Wish HAL still had such shows. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RuthC said:

I've been on several cruises over the years that had Passenger Talent Shows (quite different from karaoke) that were very good and entertaining. Not every act, of course, but the professional entertainers brought aboard aren't all great, either. 
Passengers we had gotten to know a little bit, even people we hadn't interacted with, showed a different part of themselves and it was a really good time. 

These were not evening entertainment, but rather were daytime shows, on a sea day. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see passengers perform. Wish HAL still had such shows. 

So agree with this.  We had one on our Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas cruise.  The passengers who had been learning hula, ukulele, drums, etc all performed along with some crew and did a good job 👍 

On 8/4/2023 at 8:29 PM, RuthC said:

My very first cruise in 2002, I was on the Carinnval Paradise. They had a passenger talent show and there happened to be 2 students from Juilliard on the cruise. They were wonderful and it spoilt me for talent shows after that. Never saw another one that could live up to that first one.

• Like 1