Luggage requirements

josephine678

5 minutes ago, josephine678 said:

Hi is the 50lb rule strictly enforced. I have one 30 inch luggage for both myself and my husband. I'm sure it is over 50 lbs although I am able to lift it off the floor a few inches. Do I have to go out and buy new luggage? 

Within a reasonable limit (few pounds) it probably will not be enforced.

• Like 1

the cruise terminal does not weigh your luggage like the airports. the weight limit is a suggestion to help make it easier on the porter at the terminal that load the luggage on to the ship and the crew onboard the ship delivering the luggage to your room

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, josephine678 said:

Hi is the 50lb rule strictly enforced. I have one 30 inch luggage for both myself and my husband. I'm sure it is over 50 lbs although I am able to lift it off the floor a few inches. Do I have to go out and buy new luggage? 

I would, I always like splitting up luggage in case one gets lost. I also think about the people who have to handle it

• Like 3

2 hours ago, josephine678 said:

Or,  you could pack lighter....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I agree with all that's been said here.  My husband and I had our separate suitcases and we'd cross pack.  Some of his in mine and some mine in his, because things can happen no matter where or when you travel. Just makes sense to be prepared for any eventuality. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, josephine678 said:

There is no enforced weight limit. Tip your porter and they will take any bag, any size, any weight. 

Pack what make you feel comfortable. The ship will accept it. 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, josephine678 said:

Airlines are VERY strict with the 50lb rule.  Extra weight charge can go upto $125.00 per bag.  I would suggest buying a hand held luggage scale ( you can buy them online for less than$15.00).  I always use one ( and take with me) when traveling.  It really is accurate, and then you won't be surprised by extra luggage fees.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, josephine678 said:

the porters don't weigh you luggage but due the crew a favor and keep it as light as possible.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no enforced weight limit. Tip your porter and they will take any bag, any size, any weight. 

Bingo!!! Tip your porter, you want to make sure your bags gets on the ship.

No, it is not enforced, they do not weigh the luggage at the port like the airport. I have been known to go over 50 lbs due to sailing 3 weeks to a month at a time and take what I need.  I am not on vacation to do laundry and I would not send my good clothing to the ships laundry due to them having shrunk several things in the past. We always tip our porters well.

5 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Airlines are VERY strict with the 50lb rule.

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

While the ship won't enforce a 50lb rule, the airlines will. So if you are flying, it will be an issue.

Generalized statements. American Airlines allows each of us to check 3 bag at 70 lbs each for free.

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Generalized statements. American Airlines allows each of us to check 3 bag at 70 lbs each for free.

its not generalized.  You probably are a frequent AA flyer, so you get extra perks that those don't fly get.  Every flight I have been on has had 50 lb weight limit ( and sometimes in Europe it is even less..45lbs).  But now for domestic flights, I only do carry on ( even for a two week cruise).

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The general rule is 50lb for normal luggage unless it’s an “overweight” which is 70lb max. AA is the only airline I know of that has this perk for its frequent flyers of 3 oversized/overweight pieces each. Keep in mind however airports don’t process the oversize/overweight the same way as other luggage because it is heavier and staff have to be aware of this and follow proper protocol.

Yes I can lift 150 pounds but if I pick up a suitcase expecting it to be between 35 and 50 I will lift it differently than if it were 70lb. Loaders have very difficult jobs and aren’t actually paid very well considering the wear and tear they put on their bodies.

The 50lb limit is to keep porters and other staff safe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, josephine678 said:

ok thanks everyone. I took some stuff out. I already have two carry on in case luggage is misplaced. 

Again, do not worry if your bags are over 50 pounds. Pack what you want. The porters at the curb will accept the bags and your room steward will roll them (not carry them) from the staff elevator to your room. 

The more overweight your bag is the more likely it is to be damaged or do damage. Those zippers can only contain so much and the porters back can only take so much. 

I would suggest you are probably overpacking by quite a bit. Even when I load up all my heavy work gear(including steel toed rubber boots) and what I'll need for 6 months on a ship I wouldn't fill a 30" suitcase and 2 carry ons.

If you don't want to discard anything I still think you'd be happier with two smaller and lighter suitcases than one larger one. It's easier to move through smaller spaces and you won't be risking someone's health and safety.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

I've gone on  21+ day cruises with a duffel bag that weighs less then 50lbs. It can be done, if you are concerned pack lighter, I've found you don't often need half the stuff you over pack. 

A wise way to pack.  

Put clothes  you think you need to pack on the bed.

Put all the money  you think you will need on the trip on the bed.

Put half the clothes back in the closet.

Put twice the money on the bed.

Now, you're ready to pack.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

A wise way to pack.  

Put clothes  you think you need to pack on the bed.

Put all the money  you think you will need on the trip on the bed.

Put half the clothes back in the closet.

Put twice the money on the bed.

Now, you're ready to pack.

Excellent advice!!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 5:55 AM, josephine678 said:

Hi is the 50lb rule strictly enforced. I have one 30 inch luggage for both myself and my husband. I'm sure it is over 50 lbs although 

If you mean for flying its 50lb. Also I think its 26 inches. Leave some room in your suitcase though for purchases. You do know that dirty clothes weigh more than clean? And they certainly take up more room.