Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

On our four previous sailings, Gigi's/Alfredo's was sporadically used at dinnertime, but waits were over an hour at lunchtime on sea days and also busy on many port days.  

Now, if it's indeed empty at lunchtime on the Regal, the only explanation I would hypothesize is it's a European 10 or 12 day sailing that not many people purchased a package on.  It's port intensive and not many wish to pay for a package.  

We saw the same thing, meaning empty Gigi's, on Enchanted earlier this year.  I can't recall seeing the place anywhere near full during lunch.  Cruise was out of Barcelona.   

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We saw the same thing, meaning empty Gigi's, on Enchanted earlier this year.  I can't recall seeing the place anywhere near full during lunch.  Cruise was out of Barcelona.   

How was it on sea days and embarkation day?  These should be busy on either side of the pond.  But if there are frugal cruisers that don't wish to pay on these days they would of course still have the options of the MDR as well as the buffet.

5 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

How was it on sea days and embarkation day?  These should be busy on either side of the pond.  But if there are frugal cruisers that don't wish to pay on these days they would of course still have the options of the MDR as well as the buffet.

I can't say for certain when I might have noticed this.  It wasn't something I was focused on and I doubt I even looked at the place on embark day.  I also don't know if Gigi's carried a fee back then (I never ate there).  I just recall it seemed pretty empty during the day.  The pub restaurant on deck 5, which was for pay, also seemed pretty empty.  I can't remember what it was called.   Sorry I can't be more specific.   

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I can't say for certain when I might have noticed this.  It wasn't something I was focused on and I doubt I even looked at the place on embark day.  I also don't know if Gigi's carried a fee back then (I never ate there).  I just recall it seemed pretty empty during the day.  The pub restaurant on deck 5, which was for pay, also seemed pretty empty.  I can't remember what it was called.   Sorry I can't be more specific.   

No big deal.  Gigi's was free.  The pub could have been the Salty Dog, which I believe is only open for dinner.

Our previous sailings were 7 days Mexican Riviera, 7 days California Coastal and 14 days Alaska.  All of the sea days were massive waits at Gigi's/Alfredo's at lunch time and you could just walk in at dinner time 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

No big deal.  Gigi's was free.  The pub could have been the Salty Dog, which I believe is only open for dinner.

Our previous sailings were 7 days Mexican Riviera, 7 days California Coastal and 14 days Alaska.  All of the sea days were massive waits at Gigi's/Alfredo's at lunch time and you could just walk in at dinner time 

"..the Salty Dog, which I believe is only open for dinner."

That would explain it!  Lol.   My memory doesn't seem to working today.    

My experience...

We were on the August 2 sailing of the Sapphire in Alaska, the cruise that kicked off this whole brouhaha re Alfredo's. We, DW and I, both ate four lunches in there. The first one, price fixe, never showed up on either of our portfolios . The second showed up as individual a la carte charges for the appetizers and pizzas, but no listing at all for the desserts we had. When I noticed this that evening I went to Guest Services and explained to them that we had ordered from the price fixe menu and that we had the Plus package and that we were under the impression that this meal should count as one of the two free ones. She said she would contact Alfredo's. When I checked my portfolio the next day, the charges had been deleted. 

Before I was seated by the host of Alfredo's prior to the third lunch, I asked if he could check to see how many of my two free meals were left on my and my DW's accounts. He returned and said, "Two". I decided not to dispute that. So four freebies in all. 

When casually chit-chatting with any different host or server, I made it a point to throw in an aside that, "I liked this place better when it was free" under the assumption that any and all pushback can't hurt. 

Over the four lunches, two on sea days and two on port days, Alfredo's was deserted. There were never more than four tables occupied, including ours. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Projunior said:

My experience...

We were on the August 2 sailing of the Sapphire in Alaska, the cruise that kicked off this whole brouhaha re Alfredo's. We, DW and I, both ate four lunches in there. The first one, price fixe, never showed up on either of our portfolios . The second showed up as individual a la carte charges for the appetizers and pizzas, but no listing at all for the desserts we had. When I noticed this that evening I went to Guest Services and explained to them that we had ordered from the price fixe menu and that we had the Plus package and that we were under the impression that this meal should count as one of the two free ones. She said she would contact Alfredo's. When I checked my portfolio the next day, the charges had been deleted. 

Before I was seated by the host of Alfredo's prior to the third lunch, I asked if he could check to see how many of my two free meals were left on my and my DW's accounts. He returned and said, "Two". I decided not to dispute that. So four freebies in all. 

When casually chit-chatting with any different host or server, I made it a point to throw in an aside that, "I liked this place better when it was free" under the assumption that any and all pushback can't hurt. 

Over the four lunches, two on sea days and two on port days, Alfredo's was deserted. There were never more than four tables occupied, including ours. 

So your two Plus visits each did translate into four visits?

5 hours ago, Projunior said:

Just to be clear, two were legit freebies from the Plus package and the other two were due to screw-ups in billing us.

Ah! I wondered if two people sit but only one orders is that logged as one free Plus visit or two visits.

Regal Princess, Alfredos on a sea day at lunch time... for those who said there would be a line of people waiting for a table.  No line and only a few people.  I'm not sure how it will be later in the day but there certainly isn't a rush for tables!

image.jpeg

Edited by Scottygirl1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Today (sea day) at 12:50 pm at Alfredos. Table load factor maybe little under 50%. Extra section closed. 

Yes, I just had another look and it would be under 50% as you said.  Certainly nobody waiting for a table. On the other hand, Horizons was crazy busy!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I will not be surpriesed if they start offering Onboard "Specials" for formerly included Alfredo's at the fabulous price of 50% Off (ooo, aaah!) to regenerate demand. 

I'll won't be back until it's free again. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'll won't be back until it's free again. 😉

We didn’t frequent either on the last Sky sailing. On principle, I would not after never being notified of the changes. Never saw Alfredo’s busy on our sailing either.

Seems like the demand is possibly based upon where the sailings are occuring.  The current European sailings are being reported that the occupancy is like crickets, whereas the Caribbean sailings had hour plus waits previously on some days.  Perhaps come the fall when the ships are back in the Caribbean there can be a true comparison comparing an apple to an apple as to whether the new policy of charging for the food is truly the reason for seats being empty.

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 2