updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

20 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Those coming by sea will be easily beaten by the many more arriving by air.

Shall we agree to say 'travellers' then?

Also, unlike ships, the whole population of a plane changes with each journey and the illness (whatever it is) is not carried along with the permanent population of the vessel (staff, of whom there are many).

Whatever, it's going to happen regardless of what's said here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

True.

Those arriving by air can carry bugs onto a ship already here. Remember Ruby Princess?

Yeah, who doesn't. I don't know how the bugs got onto the RP but I do recall Tasmania suffered particularly badly as a result (see previous post about Tasmania and covid protocols).

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 8:23 AM, NSWP said:

Baz, I dont know about Qld but Covid is still rampant down here in the Eurobodalla, NSW Far South Coast.

No rampant Covid up here Les as far as I can make out - just spent the last 3 days with 40 members of our motohome group - camping in the Rosewood Showgrounds - minimum age was 65 and max age was 84 - no worries about Covid amongst any of them - we are all slowly dying of other things !!!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, habitatnal said:

Have you heard anything from NCL?  When I emailed them they didn’t respond.

They said they are not changing their policy and to keep checking website for any updates. I don’t get it. All the other cruise lines have opened their sailings since the government lifted the restrictions. Someone else said they emailed and got same response. Others, like you have heard nothing. 

• Thanks 1

What I don’t get is Carnival and Princess have not said anything about requiring the vaccine/testing in Tasmania.  Carnival has a ship that is going to Tasmania in October and I would not be happy if I learned that there were requirements after Carnival said that there weren’t.

From what I can see online the Tasmanian Government has not said that vaccines/tests are required for cruising.  If I am wrong I would love to see the source.

I know the requirements have only been gone for about a month but has there been a dramatic rise in cases, hospitalizations or deaths?

19 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

What I don’t get is Carnival and Princess have not said anything about requiring the vaccine/testing in Tasmania.  Carnival has a ship that is going to Tasmania in October and I would not be happy if I learned that there were requirements after Carnival said that there weren’t.

From what I can see online the Tasmanian Government has not said that vaccines/tests are required for cruising.  If I am wrong I would love to see the source.

I know the requirements have only been gone for about a month but has there been a dramatic rise in cases, hospitalizations or deaths?

There are no restrictions AFAIK for Carnival, P&O Australia, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity etc for cruises going to Tasmania. I just think NCL are waiting for an official communique that likely doesn't exist. Numbers are stable and under control for cases, hospitalisations, ICU and deaths.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I am curious if New Zealand has also dropped all requirements for testing and mask wearing while in their waters? We are on a cruise from LA in January and will arrive in New Zealand in February. We are coming via Hawaii.

Yes, several months before Australia did.

5 hours ago, Teachkids2 said:

Does anyone know why Tasmania is on the list for NCL?

+1. I can't spot anything here - maybe you can. The protocols were just undone, without much in the way of press releases. I can only think that NCL hasn't noticed..

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Tasmanian Department of Health

IF Tasmania was to be the odd one out (I don't think they are), it would be in NCL's interest to find an alternate port to Hobart. Alas, it is NCL that is the odd one out.

Good Luck, you must be running out of time.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

+1. I can't spot anything here - maybe you can. The protocols were just undone, without much in the way of press releases. I can only think that NCL hasn't noticed..

IF Tasmania was to be the odd one out (I don't think they are), it would be in NCL's interest to find an alternate port to Hobart. Alas, it is NCL that is the odd one out.

The interesting thing is that Carnival is selling a cruise that leaves on October 31st going to Hobart and there is nothing on the Carnival website that indicates that there are any cruises with restrictions.  If there truly are restrictions there will be many upset people because they weren’t told about them when booking.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

4 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

The interesting thing is that Carnival is selling a cruise that leaves on October 31st going to Hobart and there is nothing on the Carnival website that indicates that there are any cruises with restrictions.  If there truly are restrictions there will be many upset people because they weren’t told about them when booking.

1 hour ago, habitatnal said:

Not just Carnival. 

Brilliance of the Seas - in Hobart on 25th October

Disney Wonder - in Hobart on 30th October

As mentioned, Carnival Splendor is in Hobart on 3rd November

3 x Princess ships in Hobart during November

Holland America, Cunard, P&O Australia & Virgin all call in Tasmania before Norwegian Spirit, and all are free of vaccination restrictions.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, arxcards said:

It is all states. They have all agreed to remove the East Coast & WA cruise protocols. The protocols were by committee, not a state by state legislature. 

Now we see what each of the cruise lines updates on their sites.

They seem to be so focused on the vaccination side of things, that pre-cruise testing hasn't rated much of a mention. The protocols that set this are no longer there, but each state has always had their own version of pre-cruise screening, usually in the form of a yes/no paper survey. As far as I can tell, each state can revert to that or decide they still want RATs. The RATs are easy enough, but the administration of them has been the issue.

Geoff, this may have been somewhere else in the 8 pages, but I don't have time to read all of them right now. 

It looks like cruises that stop in Tasmania still need to have vaccines and a negative test within 24 hours prior to the cruise.  Does that simply mean that the state government of Tasmania has decided to opt into keeping the previous requirements rather than following the East Coast and WA cruise protocols, or are they enough on their own (don't know how to phrase it) that they don't fall under those suggestions, etc??

7 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Geoff, this may have been somewhere else in the 8 pages, but I don't have time to read all of them right now. 

It looks like cruises that stop in Tasmania still need to have vaccines and a negative test within 24 hours prior to the cruise.  Does that simply mean that the state government of Tasmania has decided to opt into keeping the previous requirements rather than following the East Coast and WA cruise protocols, or are they enough on their own (don't know how to phrase it) that they don't fall under those suggestions, etc??

Hi Ann,

As far as I can tell, Tasmania has no remaining covid restrictions for cruise ships. 

As far as I can tell, all other cruise lines other than NCL are not applying any restrictions to passengers visiting Tasmanian ports. What remains is purely between NCL and the state of Tasmania. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

What remains is purely between NCL and the state of Tasmania. 

Or maybe just NCL? There is nothing on Tasmania's health dept website or on their ports website that indicates there are any covid restrictions for cruising. 

• Like 2