Celebrity Silhouette Main Dining Room Experience an Embarrassment

Rustyman

I'll be on Infinity soon and will report back.

Previously, I've found Celebrity food to be very good to excellent and Royal food to be poor.  I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rate MSC's MDR food as superior to Royal's, but Celebrity's better than both of them.  It will be interesting to see if things have changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Did I miss if the apps were good?  The soup and/or the salad?  I would be happy with a good app and just the protein of the main.  Many times the carb served has been not to my liking - mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, boiled potatoes...

Thanks.

we are currently on Solstice. My views are very similar to original post.

Sorry to tell you that apps are not much better. We have always ways liked the Caesar salad, unfortunately the last 2 nights they have come with no dressing (or so little dressing that you can’t taste it or see it)

Second time I asked for more dressing, which eventually arrived after we’d eaten our entrees. Can’t say I blame the wait staff for this, they were just run off their feet.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

There is also Irish stew (boiled potatoes) on this menu, so except for the mashed potatoes, the carbs are the mains.  Yum.

Screenshot_20230819_164132_Celebrity.jpg

Am I right in thinking this is an entire dinner menu ?

And the protein choice is turkey or Irish stew ?

No fish or seafood ?

That Pasta Pomodoro is what we used to feed our kids when they were small and teething and would only eat bland mush.

No wonder MDR regulars are spitting feathers.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I thought those were taken away as a test, then added back as Classics.  Am I wrong?  Can someone sailing now clarify?

On Summit right now. Escargot and shrimp cocktail are available every day in the MDR, as are Caesar salad and French onion soup. The entrees are basically fish, chicken, pasta, vegetarian, and beef or pork, for the most part. We’ve eaten mostly in the OVC due to the overall “meh” of the MDR menus. We did, however, like the prime rib and the (free) lobster when it was offered in the MDR.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Cruises we’ve done, granted a small number only 4, rarely leave port after 5 so we could dine in ports as we watch the ship leave us. Not a good plan.

Here is when my ship leaves on my next Celebrity cruise:

Overnight,8 PM, 7 PM, Overnight, 4:30 PM, 10 PM, 9 PM.

Obviously plenty of time for dinner except for the 4:30 PM departure which is after an overnight.

43 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

When did they sail? It seems like this menu is only a couple of weeks old so if they sailed more than a month ago, their opinion could be irrelevant 

Both very recently.

One couple sailed 3 weeks ago on the Beyond the other on the Reflection 2 weeks ago.

On previous cruises that we were on

the daily menus were always available.
If there  was nothing “ appealing “, we asked if they could prepare xxx, and most often were accommodated .

( A few $$ to say “Thank You “  was well worth it ).

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I thought those were taken away as a test, then added back as Classics.  Am I wrong?  Can someone sailing now clarify?

On Constellation last week shrimp cocktail and escargot’s were on there every night, however both were bland.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Am I right in thinking this is an entire dinner menu ?

And the protein choice is turkey or Irish stew ?

No fish or seafood ?

That Pasta Pomodoro is what we used to feed our kids when they were small and teething and would only eat bland mush.

No wonder MDR regulars are spitting feathers.

The only other mains are the classics - grilled chicken breast (it's always dry), salmon, and "steak" (if you've had the steak before, you'll understand the quotes).  And they come with mashed potatoes.  Mmmm... 😉

The current menus are readily available to peruse on the app.  Check any current M or S class sailing.  If you don't know how to find them, just ask. E-class menus do look better, at least for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

For what it's worth because I notice CCers getting " over-heated " :

1---To those who are complaining about the current state of food:

Two couples we know were recently on Celebrity-- One on the Beyond, the other on the Reflection-

BOTH said the food and service was excellent throughout the cruise.

2--- To those who give a $#%^ about Gratuities split--- For one, I could care less who gets what--- We have the gratuities added to our account and provide an additional tip to our cabin Steward, Specialty Restaurant Servers and the Servers in the Tuscan Grill where we have our 2nd breakfast since we "graduated" to Elite. ( Non-drinkers-- no Bar Servers ).

3--- To those who are waiting for an answer from the CEO, Chairman of the Board , or the Captain because they didn't like the mashed potatoes , the vegetables or their Server forgot about their 3rd shrimp cocktail ----- What answer do you expect other than :

Thank you for your recent email and I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Your comments regarding  etc, etc etc are taken very seriously and will be forwarded to the appropriate Department Heads.

As you know, we, at Celebrity do everything possible to satisfy our guests and sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer you a Complimentary cruise in the Retreat as you requested.

Your truly,

XYZ

Customer Representative 

Some people could eat PB&J and be perfectly happy with the food on the cruise.  Others have higher standards.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Here are the entrees for Day 1 of our upcoming cruise on Reflection.

IMG_0423.png

IMG_0424.png

And? Look fine to me.

Edit: Sorry. Missed the earlier post.

Edited by markeb

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Didn’t know they eliminated shrimp cocktails or escargot ?   No appetizers now??

Yes the timeless options merged with regular appetizer section, those are usually available but anything else that’s not soup or salad is basically gone. Sorry for the confusion, I don’t exactly call the 4 shrimps an appetizer so I wasn’t thinking of it as such. But beyond those items there are no appetizers. 

Also, if your cruise still shows a timeless section in the app you probably haven’t been given the updated menu. 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tigervixxxen said:

Yes the timeless options merged with regular appetizer section, those are usually available but anything else that’s not soup or salad is basically gone. Sorry for the confusion, I don’t exactly call the 4 shrimps an appetizer so I wasn’t thinking of it as such. But beyond those items there are no appetizers. 

Also, if your cruise still shows a timeless section in the app you probably haven’t been given the updated menu. 

The number of shrimp was reduced on our last Silhouette cruise ( May 22) we just ordered 2, with soup to follow then the main. We top up the main with a Yorkshire pudding and a side dish of vegetables (not on the menu but always available). Are the Yorkshire Puds and side vegetables now not available?

• Like 2

I think I am on the same Reflection cruise, departing Sept 2nd with the menu above. Disappointed to read this thread about food on Celebrity. Our only previous Celebrity cruise was in 2019 with our teenage sons and everyone loved the food and portion sizes in MDR. We sailed on Royal this summer and we’re v disappointed with the MDR food, choice wasn’t bad but portions were tiny in some cases and steaks small and tough. 
For this cruise, day 10 is the only good menu, including Prime Rib, but it is a 9 night cruise!! Any hope that menus will change?

It will be 2 adults only this time so will go to speciality restaurants a few times I think which is what they want. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Here is when my ship leaves on my next Celebrity cruise:

Overnight,8 PM, 7 PM, Overnight, 4:30 PM, 10 PM, 9 PM.

Obviously plenty of time for dinner except for the 4:30 PM departure which is after an overnight.

Intriguing. Ship and itinerary please. Many thanks.

quality and portions can vary widely

On Beyond in Luminae  we were served a few very small mushy shrimp with a sauce that tasted like ketchup. It was overall vile.

We were much happier in BLU, same cruise..diff kitchen,  when they served fresh jumbo shrimp that were  firm and a tangy spicy sauce.  They also did not ration the bread in BLU!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

They are on my menu on the App.IMG_1453.thumb.png.549570d0b57a612a22ed910f82913131.png

IMG_1454.thumb.png.098aef8a5b3a560fcbeff83a7f4e7e66.png

IMG_1455.thumb.png.231d2ae57175078a93f44d77b1908f19.png

The 3rd attachment says Sides under Entrees and the only item that is at extra cost is Beef Filet Mignon & Surf & Turf which I was unable to capture on the screen shot.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, hcat said:

quality and portions can vary widely

On Beyond in Luminae  we were served a few very small mushy shrimp with a sauce that tasted like ketchup. It was overall vile.

We were much happier in BLU, same cruise..diff kitchen,  when they served fresh jumbo shrimp that were  firm and a tangy spicy sauce.  They also did not ration the bread in BLU!

Never seen bread rationed - just ask

• Like 1