Lavazza coffee on Princess ships- in the buffet too?

Alberta54

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

When I was on the Sapphire early July when they installed the first Lavazza containers/dispensers in the buffet, I saw one being refilled. There was a large funnel attachment they use above the container which I assume has ground coffee/filter and water flows down and eventually fills the dispenser/container picture, do you consider this ‘brewed’.

Thank you for the detailed description, very helpful. Yes I would consider this brewed.

I've had the Lavazza from urns on various Celebrity ships, and Lavazza espresso in their cafes. I don't think it's anything terribly special, having tried a dozen or so Lavazza varieties over the years, so I suspect they're using a cheaper bean, and a brand partnership usually means higher espresso drink prices for the non-Plus proletariat. You can usually find 2-lb bags of their coffee for good prices online, which are usually better than their American-styled brands sold in supermarkets, and I used to bring back bricks of their ground coffee from trips to Europe. I'm not much of a fan now, and prefer to try different types of fresh beans, freshly ground. A Ruby cruise last year brought to mind the three things I really dislike about some older Princess ships--syrup coffee, cattle-pen buffets with a single entrance, and an outside promenade deck where you have to climb stairs at the bow and then walk through a smoking area to do laps. 

22 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Hopefully not on the Sky as the current coffee  in buffet, dining room and International cafe is disgusting, weak and not drinkable anywhere.  Never experienced this quality on any of our cruises.  I am not alone in my experience.

Thankfully they have kettles in cabins.  Purchased instant coffee in port to make a half way decent cup.   

Definitely not on the Sky.  Walked past Princess Live as the barista was refilling the grinder.   A no-name Italian brand.   
Trying a decaf Americano in the IC, weak.  Ordered an Expresso, also weak.   

17 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

@ceilidh1  When you get a chance, would you please find out if the Lavazza is brewed, not from syrup?  I really appreciate it.

When they made the change to lavazza on the Ruby and we noticed it immediately - our waiter actually pulled out a bag of the lavazza they use to make the coffee.  Definitely no syrup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, AZjohn said:

Just curious, what type of Lavazza beans are they using in the buffet and IC?
I just looked up and read they have many different types of roast (there isn’t just one type of Lavazza):

I prefer the Crema La Gusto and then the Top Class and have tried alot of the blends.

I fell in love with the Lavaaza Coffee years ago on Celebrity and I bought their coffee/expresso/latte machine.  Drink it everyday and love the smell when it brews and the slight froth on the coffee is as good as it gets.   The Latte and Machiattos are reasonably good compared to the commercial machines,

Comes out to about 55 or 60 cents per cup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Knickearth said:

When they made the change to lavazza on the Ruby and we noticed it immediately - our waiter actually pulled out a bag of the lavazza they use to make the coffee.  Definitely no syrup.

That's definitely a great news and discovery! Thanks.

14 hours ago, JRG said:

I prefer the Crema La Gusto and then the Top Class and have tried alot of the blends.

I fell in love with the Lavaaza Coffee years ago on Celebrity and I bought their coffee/expresso/latte machine.  Drink it everyday and love the smell when it brews and the slight froth on the coffee is as good as it gets.   The Latte and Machiattos are reasonably good compared to the commercial machines,

Comes out to about 55 or 60 cents per cup.

JRG, I agree.  Lavaaza is first class coffee.  Lavazza super crema espresso whole bean is one of my all time, top five coffee beans.  Currently, I a, running Saigon #2, Dark Espresso thru my ECM Mechanica V Slim Espresso Machine.

On October 21st, my wife and I are on the Enchanted, starting a trip from Barcelona.

As others have mentioned, I sure hope the International Cafe is using Lavazza whole beans to pull shots on the espresso machines?

6 hours ago, MKAH said:

JRG, I agree.  Lavaaza is first class coffee.  Lavazza super crema espresso whole bean is one of my all time, top five coffee beans.  Currently, I a, running Saigon #2, Dark Espresso thru my ECM Mechanica V Slim Espresso Machine.

On October 21st, my wife and I are on the Enchanted, starting a trip from Barcelona.

As others have mentioned, I sure hope the International Cafe is using Lavazza whole beans to pull shots on the espresso machines?

They should be.  I bet the officers will be thrilled! 😆

We met quite a few of them, on the Enchanted in line for their espressos!  

On 8/24/2023 at 9:48 PM, AZjohn said:

Just curious, what type of Lavazza beans are they using in the buffet and IC?
I just looked up and read they have many different types of roast (there isn’t just one type of Lavazza):

Lavazza Super Crema  
Lavazza Gran Crema  
Lavazza Gold Selection  
Lavazza Top Class  
Lavazza Qualita Rossa  
Lavazza Crema e Gusto  
Lavazza Gran Aroma  
Lavazza Pienaroma

Qualita Rossa and Crema e Gusto are the usual brands found in Italian homes in Italy. My relatives mix the two together for a superb blend.

• Like 1

Was last on the Enchanted Princess last November when they still had the coffee card and always got several coffees a day from the international cafe.  Now that they are installing this new coffee does that mean that this coffee is now free at the buffet and I C?

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Was last on the Enchanted Princess last November when they still had the coffee card and always got several coffees a day from the international cafe.  Now that they are installing this new coffee does that mean that this coffee is now free at the buffet and I C?

Princess has just ‘partnered’ with Lavazza to supply the ‘beans’. Coffee at the Buffett will now be dispensed from large Lavazza branded dispensers as shown in previous post #2.

IC coffee will still have a charge unless you have plus or premier pkg.

• Like 1

I haven't had "coffee" on a Princess ship since the restart (except for a Latte with Suite breakfast).  

This must be some good coffee with all the raves.  Is it on the Caribbean Princess yet?  Is it served in the MDR or only the buffet?

Oh, how I miss the coffee card.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Was last on the Enchanted Princess last November when they still had the coffee card and always got several coffees a day from the international cafe. 

Coffee card? Last November?

I though it was gone long before that period of time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’m sure the posters are referring to the new grounds coffee package.

Yea, it probably is but every time I hear about a "coffee card" I get my hopes up thinking they might still be accepting them on certain ships as a sign of good will. LOL 😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I haven't had "coffee" on a Princess ship since the restart (except for a Latte with Suite breakfast).  

This must be some good coffee with all the raves.  Is it on the Caribbean Princess yet?  Is it served in the MDR or only the buffet?

Huge benefit cut to elites. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Yes.  They still had it then.  They stopped issuing them this past February.

It was digital and called the New Grounds Coffee package.  We used to buy it under the beverage packages. 

The original paper punch coffee card was discontinued many years ago.

How we long for the coffee package back again! 😞

Not going to happen!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

It was digital and called the New Grounds Coffee package.  We used to buy it under the beverage packages. 

The original paper punch coffee card was discontinued many years ago.

How we long for the coffee package back again! 😞

Not going to happen!

Yes I know it was digital but we still referred to it as the coffee card.  It still cost around $36 with unlimited brewed coffee and 15 specialty coffees.  So now I was thinking at 3 cups a day times two people and $2 per cup it will cost around $168 for our next 14 day Enchanted cruise in November, 2024.  If it is free at the buffet we will certainly try to get it there.

On Dec 15, 2022, I bought what was once called a "coffee card" and it's listed on my Travel Summary as - New Grounds Coffee Package $36.58 for my upcoming 26 Sept cruise.  So far, haven't received any credit back on the credit card I used for the purchase.  So will find out when we board if my DH has extra OBC or that they will maybe honor 15 specialty coffees for him.  

On 8/28/2023 at 12:16 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

we are just off Caribbean Princess and the coffee was overall excellent.  Note that you can still get a bit of unpredictability: once or twice I got a cup in the way aft and it was a bit weak, but other urns not far away were stronger.  And sometimes in the afternoon it would be tepid, not keeping it hot like I would have expected.  Overall, I learned after day one to watch it closely going into the cup.  If it is looking super-strong, leave room to add around 1/2" of hot water.  I make a bold cup at home but it was often coming out beyond bold, like they were still trying to figure out the right coffee/water ratio.  But a bit of hot water would make it just right.  Easily the best free coffee I've had on a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2