old plus package is now minus package

jrblach

we are on Sky - boarded Aug 19, 2023. we bought cruise and  plus package August 2022. there have been many changes to the plus package and cruising. casual dining has been added where you $15 for Alfredos pizza. plus package includes 2 casual dining visits. BUT, NOT THE OLD PLUS PACKAGES. we were told we would have to pay for Alfredos. why dont they grandfather the benefits? instead, Princess want you to pay the difference between $ 60 per day and what you paid

UNFAIR

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jrblach said:

we are on Sky - boarded Aug 19, 2023. we bought cruise and  plus package August 2022. there have been many changes to the plus package and cruising. casual dining has been added where you $15 for Alfredos pizza. plus package includes 2 casual dining visits. BUT, NOT THE OLD PLUS PACKAGES. we were told we would have to pay for Alfredos. why dont they grandfather the benefits? instead, Princess want you to pay the difference between $ 60 per day and what you paid

UNFAIR

There are currently numerous threads discussing this very subject.  This is very old news and, yes, it’s unfair.

• Like 4

Guest Snaxmuppet

I think that is the key here... will the changes make any real difference to whether they sell out the ships? If not then it is the right business decision. But IMHO it is the wrong decision if they were considering the passengers at all. But then again, when did Princess ever consider their passengers?

They have rarely grandfathered benefits.  In the old days the drink package was unlimited alcohol which changed to 15 drinks a day. No notice no grandfather clause. Why would you think pizza would be different ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I too have the Plus-50 package but if I want pizza, I’ll either go to slice, or fork over $12.99 for a pizza.  Not going to upgrade for $120 just to get 2 pizzas, not worth it.  I don’t want the salad or the dessert, just pizza and a drink.  I don’t think I’ve ever gone out for pizza anywhere and ordered salad, pizza and dessert.  Nor have I ever seen my friends do that.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrblach said:

UNFAIR

You can upgrade old package to new and get the free ice cream for me it would be $500 each for us to get the fee icecream and pizza restraunt 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

They simply don't care what their passengers think as there are to many people sailing lately.

Soon, all will be forgotten and people will just accept the new pricing without hesitation. (just like the loss of coffee cards, internet minutes, loyalty credit, candies on the pillow, bars of soap, wine and flute glasses in the cabin when boarding, beef medallions, etc.)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

They simply don't care what their passengers think as there are to many people sailing lately.

Soon, all will be forgotten and people will just accept the new pricing without hesitation. (just like the loss of coffee cards, internet minutes, loyalty credit, candies on the pillow, bars of soap, wine and flute glasses in the cabin when boarding, beef medallions, etc.)

Pls stop, the memories are making me cry.  Lol

58 minutes ago, inspiration100 said:

In 2024, Princess plans to charge you every time you take a crap in the toilet.  Therefore, enjoy what you've got now.

I was thinking long and hard about switching to another cruise line as my favorite but after considering their price increases of the other cruise lines recently, I suppose I'll stick with Princess.

(and they sure know it).

I just keep tailoring my trips doing with a little less each cruise without having to spend extra in order to enjoy myself. 

What really gets me is their charging me $14.99 to use the Medallion to order their food !

Not that I can't get off my duff & get it myself, but there are items that can't be had unless you order them to be delivered. 😡

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I was thinking long and hard about switching to another cruise line as my favorite but after considering their price increases of the other cruise lines recently, I suppose I'll stick with Princess.

(and they sure know it).

I just keep tailoring my trips doing with a little less each cruise without having to spend extra in order to enjoy myself. 

What really gets me is their charging me $14.99 to use the Medallion to order their food !

Not that I can't get off my duff & get it myself, but there are items that can't be had unless you order them to be delivered. 😡

I understand.  I have no commitment to any cruise line as none of them have shown any commitment to me. I'll go with the one that has the best deals for the price for each cruise I select.   Princess just dropped a big level with this change in my view.  I'll always sail with whoever gives the best deal for me but I do factor these things into account.

• Like 5

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, inspiration100 said:

In 2024, Princess plans to charge you every time you take a crap in the toilet.  Therefore, enjoy what you've got now.

Like the way that budget airlines are going... race to the bottom (if you'll pardon the pun!).

2 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Like the way that budget airlines are going... race to the bottom (if you'll pardon the pun!).

And hotels!  Hilton brand in general has become a hot mess in the US and they are cutting everything.  Nightly social hour at Homewood Suites are gone except Wednesdays.  Other hilton hotel's Gold/Diamond member free breakfast is gone and replaced with a minimal food voucher.  The free hotel breakfasts are mostly nasty.  Room service daily?  Forget it.  This crap seems to be happening in general with the travel industry.  It means travel less for me if it's not enjoyable.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2023 at 10:36 AM, jrblach said:

UNFAIR

Thank you so much for this. I got the email and only skimmed through the threads that talked about this - thinking I understood everything - so didn't realize this until reading this thread.

The funny thing is I was just telling my wife that Princess is so confusing with what you get and don't get with these packages. I'm not a newbie cruiser (but haven't cruised Princess yet) and I'm completely confused by desserts, fitness classes, prix fixed menus, etc. I can't keep track of it all.

Anyway, due to a price drop, I think we cancelled and rebooked in Feb of this year so *should* be good...but I'm not 100% sure, lol. Going to call Princess now to confirm what we have and don't have.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:44 AM, skynight said:

Agree. Princess did not really think this through. They just tried to get a small amount of money from their customers.

They thought it through and decided to hose customers who were already paying a premium for packages more.  It's pretty disgusting honestly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

budget airlines have their place - or they would be bankrupt.  what's not to like about booking the bare bones fare, they pick your seat/cabin, want to check a bag - $40 each way - still included in P fare as are carryons - priority boarding? - yep, $15 on plane - oh, you want to pick a seat/cabin - here's the add on price ...

book a basic flight - their limited schedule - backpack only, no add'l charge - I get from A to B just like you do on a major airline.

29 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Thank you so much for this. I got the email and only skimmed through the threads that talked about this - thinking I understood everything - so didn't realize this until reading this thread.

The funny thing is I was just telling my wife that Princess is so confusing with what you get and don't get with these packages. I'm not a newbie cruiser (but haven't cruised Princess yet) and I'm completely confused by desserts, fitness classes, prix fixed menus, etc. I can't keep track of it all.

Anyway, due to a price drop, I think we cancelled and rebooked in Feb of this year so *should* be good...but I'm not 100% sure, lol. Going to call Princess now to confirm what we have and don't have.

If you bought your package after Dec 14, 2022 - you have the new packages (basically, if you bought it at $60/$80 Plus/Premier) , you have all the newest inclusions, etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

If you bought your package after Dec 14, 2022 - you have the new packages (basically, if you bought it at $60/$80 Plus/Premier) , you have all the newest inclusions, etc. 

Yes, that is what I think but I'm still going to call to see exactly what I get. I'm honestly confused about the perks I have.

And I bought it included in the fare. Like I said, I had the cruise booked, there was a massive price drop so I canceled and rebooked (not sure why they couldn't refare).

Edited by alyssamma

33 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Yes, that is what I think but I'm still going to call to see exactly what I get. I'm honestly confused about the perks I have.

And I bought it included in the fare. Like I said, I had the cruise booked, there was a massive price drop so I canceled and rebooked (not sure why they couldn't refare).

It doesn’t matter what terminology you use. When you rebooked / refare the cruise you also refared the package 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

It doesn’t matter what terminology you use. When you rebooked / refare the cruise you also refared the package 

First, I thought I made it clear that with all of the changes I'm unsure what perks I have...this is my main reason for calling.

Second, there is a difference between rebooking and refaring. My point was I was unsure *why* I couldn't just refare and had to rebook - this is *independent* of the plus package.

Lastly, I'm very appreciative to the OP and others on different threads that have made this point clear about old vs. new packages, but that being said, to be *sure* of what I have, I'm calling Princess...not sure why that would confuse or perplex anyone. Again, happy for the reassurances here, but I want to hear it directly from Princess (and I know, reps are wrong all the time so that doesn't guarantee anything).

Guest Snaxmuppet
59 minutes ago, voljeep said:

budget airlines have their place - or they would be bankrupt.  what's not to like about booking the bare bones fare, they pick your seat/cabin, want to check a bag - $40 each way - still included in P fare as are carryons - priority boarding? - yep, $15 on plane - oh, you want to pick a seat/cabin - here's the add on price ...

book a basic flight - their limited schedule - backpack only, no add'l charge - I get from A to B just like you do on a major airline.

Well I am not so sure.

Recently in the UK a elderly couple bought a ticket on Ryanair, a European ultra-budget airline. They were not computer-savvy and printed their return ticket in error. At the airport they were forced to pay £110 to print their tickets at the airport instead of online.

I am all for lower fares but I think that it has now reached the limit of what is sensible and acceptable. No-one should be charged that much to print their ticket just because they got it wrong online.

Read about it here if you can (don't know if the BBC limits which countries can read their site so apologies if you cannot see it):

Couple 'horrified' at £110 Ryanair check-in fee

16 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Well I am not so sure.

Recently in the UK a elderly couple bought a ticket on Ryanair, a European ultra-budget airline. They were not computer-savvy and printed their return ticket in error. At the airport they were forced to pay £110 to print their tickets at the airport instead of online.

I am all for lower fares but I think that it has now reached the limit of what is sensible and acceptable. No-one should be charged that much to print their ticket just because they got it wrong online.

Read about it here if you can (don't know if the BBC limits which countries can read their site so apologies if you cannot see it):

Couple 'horrified' at £110 Ryanair check-in fee

sorry, I shouldn't have responded to a UK with a USA