Joy riding our Idalia in Bermuda

NewPennCruiser

Given the fact that Bermuda has been under Tropical Storm Warnings for over 24 hours I was surprised to look at the Bermuda Port Webcam this morning and see the Joy was still in port.  Wave action coming out of the north in the dockyards is intense and crashing over the docks.  I'm wondering if anyone on board can report back as to what things are like on the ship at the moment.  It would not be safe to leave the ship and I imagine the Joy couldn't leave now if it wanted to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Another ship Oceania Insignia is docked in Hamilton. A tug boat is keeping the ship against the dock.

Idalia strenghtened overnight.

The Insignia was going to leave today (earlier departure from Bermuda than scheduled).  Sounds like that might not happen. 

Lots of Fujiwhara effect  dancing going on in the Atlantic.

Jose was absorbed by Franklin. Franklin now moving on beyond Bermuda.

Idalia and Gert  will be "eyeing" each other at some point.

Katia is is late to the party.

All in all, lots of big waves out there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Lots of Fujiwhara effect  dancing going on in the Atlantic.

Jose was absorbed by Franklin. Franklin now moving on beyond Bermuda.

Idalia and Gert  will be "eyeing" each other at some point.

Katia is is late to the party.

All in all, lots of big waves out there.

Made me look up Fujiwhara effect. Learn something new every day. We were on a ship in Bermuda during hurricane Wilma. I believe it was Jewel of the Seas. We could not go through the channel until the wind was below 30 mph. 

One of P&O’s cruise ships broke it’s mooring lines in Mallorca during the week, highly unusual for wave action to be that strong in the Mediterranean. That ship hit a nearby freighter but it seems they just dented it. That wasn’t even close to hurricane strength conditions. 

• Like 1

Over on that other social media site, a very unhappy guest aboard the Insignia reports that they are all stuck indoors on the ship, docked in Hamilton. They said a rickety gangway is preventing anyone from disembarking, but I suspect there’s more to the story than that. 

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

They said a rickety gangway is preventing anyone from disembarking, but I suspect there’s more to the story than that. 

Rickety gangway or not - I'm not sure I want to be traversing the gangway while the island and ship are being battered by a tropical storm/hurricane.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, hallux said:

Rickety gangway or not - I'm not sure I want to be traversing the gangway while the island and ship are being battered by a tropical storm/hurricane.

Good point. Apparently, though, according to this same guest, staff are walking on and off the ship, and the shops in Hamilton are open (at least from what they can see). 

Unfortunately, and as we all know, many cruise ship guests think they know better than the Captain when it comes to safety. 

• Like 1

Safety first, there's no way that ships currently anchored there are going to set sail before 9 am tomorrow, better yet to probably wait until midday 😕 based on forecasts & dynamic models, the storm will remain over the islands beyond sunrise with the back of tail end of the storm ... seas going to be rough & very choppy. 

Advice to those crossing the Atlantic ahead to/from Bermuda, start those motion sickness remedies 🫣 

Screenshot_20230902-143435.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Good point. Apparently, though, according to this same guest, staff are walking on and off the ship, and the shops in Hamilton are open (at least from what they can see). 

Unfortunately, and as we all know, many cruise ship guests think they know better than the Captain when it comes to safety. 

At least the passengers on Insignia should be able to salvage a little bit of their time in Bermuda since the ship isn't scheduled to depart until Monday morning and they'll probably be allowed off the ship tomorrow. They also should get back to NY on schedule so no need to worry about rescheduling transportation home.

The passengers on Joy will not be so fortunate. There's no way they'll get back to NY on schedule and of course the next cruise's passengers will be delayed too.

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Advice to those crossing the Atlantic ahead to/from Bermuda, start those motion sickness remedies 🫣 

We were supposed to be in Bermuda this week on Carnival Magic. We got rerouted to the Bahamas instead.

Coming up the coast to Norfolk was pretty bad. Not the roughest I have ever been in, but definitely the longest lasting, over 20 hours at least. We got back this morning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cyntil8ing said:

We were supposed to be in Bermuda this week on Carnival Magic. We got rerouted to the Bahamas instead.

Coming up the coast to Norfolk was pretty bad. Not the roughest I have ever been in, but definitely the longest lasting, over 20 hours at least. We got back this morning.

We were on that.  So disappointed to miss Bermuda.  We never got off the ship.  We’ve done those ports multiple times.  Yesterday was quite the adventure headed back North!  I have to say that I was not impressed with CCL, though.  The entire time I missed NCL.  😔.   Luckily I’ll be back “home” on the Encore next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Conditions will improve & better tomorrow, but further away from Bermuda, still going to be a rough ride to rush home as best as conditions permit. 

Excerpt from Bermuda's official weather service - maritime conditions: 

Tonight - 

Winds north-northeasterly 25 to 35 knots gusts to 45 knots, easing 20 to 30 knots during the night then tending northerly 20 to 25 knots towards dawn...  Patchy rain and isolated showers with fair to poor visibility. Peaking swells with possible rip currents... Seas inside the reef 3 to 6 ft... Outside the reef 14 to 18 ft, decreasing...  Sunset: 7:42 pm.

surprised they still went to bermuda based on weather forecasts.

would have thought going to new england instead would have been a no brainer.

i was on the joy cruise previous to this one.

we re-routed from bermuda to miami because of topical storm that MIGHT become a hurricane.

Forcasts for this week said Hurricane WILL be at Bermuda.

we got $200 obc per cabin for missing bermuda.

anyone know how much the 8/30 Joy pax are getting, if any?

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Lucky people! I wish that was me!!!! Extra sea day? YES PLEASE! Even if the sea are a 'rockin', I want that day.

For every lucky person, there is an unlucky one. We are supposed to be getting on the ship Monday morning! At least I am at home. We are about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from the port, and will use a shuttle service to get there. Will be contacting them in the morning to reschedule.

I feel so bad for the folks that have traveled to NYC for the Monday departure and are staying in hotels. They will need to make arrangements for another night.

I hope next time this happens to a trip of mine, I am on the end that gets the extra day. And I truly hope that the folks getting the extra day are having a great time.

Hope their sail home isn't too rough. 

• Like 7