Golden Lion

babs135

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

I noted on another thread here that the GL offers dinner on the Queen Elizabeth. What food is served and what are the chances of this being rolled out to at least her sister ship the Queen Victoria?

I wouldn’t have thought there was the need. If they hadn’t done it yet I think unlikely. 

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

So why did they do it on QE? Surely the same would apply?

Different market/ itinerary was my thinking. I have only been on QE once just before she went back to Australia and her normal itinerary and they didn’t have it then. Perhaps they will then it’s its popular. Lunches certainly are. I eat there most days unless I fancy the Britannia lunch offering. QM2 does have a reduced lunch choice compared to QV and what I remember from QE 

53 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So why did they do it on QE? Surely the same would apply?

It was originally introduced on Q.Vic some years ago ( well before 2020) as a trial , I remember visiting the GL one evening just to experience it. 

I believe it is more popular on the QE itineraries especially the Alaska cruises due to some of the Tours ashore often 'depart or return' late evening.  In 2018 on my Alaskan cruise the GL was serving evening meals then, I experienced it again after retuning back to the ship quite late around 9pm  from a Whale Watching tour    (never saw one -that's another story)  It is quite handy to pop into the GL for an informal meal ( in sort of outdoor wear) rather than returning back to the cabin first to smarten up .  

Edited to Add;  In 2018 there were no chargeable items other than alcohol  

Edited by Bell Boy

Just got off the QE on Tuesday. The GL is open in the evenings, same menu as lunch. No charge for food. Fish & Chips was awesome. While we were onboard they were serving pints of draft beer in the large pint and a half mugs, same price. For more on the GL please see my trip report in the thread above, LA to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal.

Jack

IMG_8963.thumb.jpg.5afa995ee30b51d7c2448614c839fb1f.jpgIMG_8964.thumb.JPG.9f84389797ecafa5c1fb21d097c18efd.JPG

• Like 4

I can confirm they are serving dinner in the Golden Lion. The food selection is slightly different to QE. 

One minor issue is they are still running the wipe out trivia at 7.30.

I had a cheese and onion  filled Yorkshire Pudding starter. Followed by a burger and bakewell tart. 

I didn't get back to the ship in time for first sitting so gave it a go. Better than the lido but will not rush back. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chryso said:

Is the food now chargeable?  That would be disappointing.

I was referring to what I read in another post.  Member Fourmile.Ranch posted a photo of a $10 supplement for Lobster Rolls, not too sure if these are still available now. 

Edited by Bell Boy

37 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I was referring to what I read in another post.  Member Fourmile.Ranch posted a photo of a $10 supplement for Lobster Rolls, not too sure if these are still available now. 

Could it be a regional item, like the McDonald's lobster roll [just had try try it...once] in New England outlets?

11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Could it be a regional item, like the McDonald's lobster roll [just had try try it...once] in New England outlets?

Lobster rolls at McDonalds in New England…Never! Thank goodness I know the real joints along the coast. 
But I guess I’ve eaten food in the UK that a native would question too. Eating pierogi in Cardiff is one prime example.  What was I thinking?!

Edited by NE John

14 minutes ago, NE John said:

Lobster rolls at McDonalds in New England…Never! Thank goodness I know the real joints along the coast. 
But I guess I’ve eaten food in the UK that a native would question too. Rating Pierogi in Cardiff is one prime example.  What was I thinking?!

When trailing youngsters around for whom a McD is a huge treat, we just had to try a lobster roll.

As I said, once! 😄

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, NE John said:

But I guess I’ve eaten food in the UK that a native would question too. Eating pierogi in Cardiff is one prime example.  What was I thinking?!

The UK has a large and wonderful Polish population, starting from the Battle of Britain, when we were pretty much saved by the addition of over 100 experienced Polish pilots. You might come across really good pierogi if you are lucky.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The UK has a large and wonderful Polish population, starting from the Battle of Britain, when we were pretty much saved by the addition of over 100 experienced Polish pilots. You might come across really good pierogi if you are lucky.

My Polish Uncle married a British wife from during WW2 in Bath and moved to the US.
Polish fighters also took a licking in Operation Market Garden. Brave soldiers. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2