Anthem, Captain announcement at 4.30am

dollydosh

This might be a good place to ask this question:  Will we hear announcements such as this in our stateroom?

It frustrates my husband and I when we are in our stateroom and announcements are being made and we hear in the hallway but not in our stateroom.

We are always concerned that we missed an important announcement, and I fiddle with that button on the wall.  It never changes anything.

8 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

7 this week 6 last week

Its the norm these days 

We only changed course once and left two ports 6 and 7hrs respectively 

After 6 days of hitting 22 knots and above - our horses are knackered 😉

Yes all on Wonder, not sure who was making a big deal about it, no one started a thread, it didn’t even make local news 

I think it might have been mentioned on a  Roll call by a certain 🐾 Veteran 

Ok I'm watching people on wonder on social media. I saw after I reposted that you said 7 not 9. They heard more than you did, but I left what I posted .. either is a lot. There is a wonder group posting about it and i know i told some girl quit worrying. She was posting she wanted to cancel over it. There are other places posting about the emergencies. Someone posted 8 were medical, 1 not medical. Not the alpha alpha alpha, one was different. But i did see you posted there were fewer than the other place was saying. Sorry. I didnt see what you posted until later .. that you said only 7. Too late for me to change above. 

As far as the OP here personally if there is a emergency during the night I'm ok with the captain on the loudspeaker saying something. My carnival breeze cruise we had to do a rescue at sea as we came into Galveston and didnt dock unto 10 am. Bummer but I'd still rather know than not know even if during the night. Newbies on the other social place were nervous even when people said it happens dont let it worry you. Cant say where I saw it. Sorry and hope it didnt affect your cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruiseorcamp said:

This might be a good place to ask this question:  Will we hear announcements such as this in our stateroom?

It frustrates my husband and I when we are in our stateroom and announcements are being made and we hear in the hallway but not in our stateroom.

We are always concerned that we missed an important announcement, and I fiddle with that button on the wall.  It never changes anything.

Idk about newer ships, but on liberty I found a switch above the desk, next to the outlet. I could turn announcements on and off in my cabin. It was making a buzzing sound all the time so I turned it off. Usually dont both. 

Idk if other ships have a switch to turn this on and off. .. just that liberty I could turn off announcements in my cabin. 

The volume controls in the cabins were deactivated years ago. The only announcements that are piped into the cabins are really important ones-emergency, missing kids/teenagers very occasionally and changes to ports sometimes particularly the day of.  Many times when we're in our cabin, we rush to the door and hold it open in order to hear them.  Also, don't expect to hear them well in public spaces.  Too many people think what they are saying to each other is way more important than what the Captain or CD have to say.  They will then complain they didn't know about a port change or the weather/waves because "no one told them".

Edited by BND

It was funny. I woke up to pee around 5:00 AM, and there were red flashing lights outside our room. I turned the lights on and DH made his wha-wha confused noise. ☺️ He said Oh, a plane,. 

And then he rolled over and said oh wait! we are at sea. By then I had opened the curtains and there was a rescue helicopter hovering right next to our stateroom. I turned the lights off then, and we just watched it from the balcony and bridge cam on TV. Absolutely amazing. 

The captain did not make an announcement, and it was only the next morning that people learned that we had diverted to San Juan, and our next port would be cut short with delayed arrival. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bocker3 said:

It would NEVER, EVER take 1-2 days to get blood tests back for a blood transfusion - if that were true people would die on operating tables and in ERs in large numbers.

This is off topic so apologies but I'm a bit shocked by that, things must be different in the UK.

It's two days to fully test and screen the blood sample here and then after final checks the blood transfusion that was taken and then stored is issued for use by day three. 

I'm amazed that its been mentioned on this thread that a Captain would be on the PA asking for people of a certain blood group to come forward on a sailing so it can go out of one and straight into another but I'm not a medical man so I guess its ok.

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's hit or miss. They worked on Adventure last month

They've never worked on any ship we've been on since I think about 2010.  I remember the first few years we cruised (Carnival, Princess and Royal) they did work. I also remember reading that they had been disabled because too many complained about announcements in their cabins.  As in, they couldn't figure out how to turn them down lol.  All those stupid bingo and art auction announcements.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bocker3 said:

I would guess that they would do some sort of quick crossmatch test before giving any blood.  It would have to be a dire emergency to risk giving blood without at least a basic mixing of the donor's cells with the recipient's plasma -- think battlefield situations.

Reminds me of an episode of the original Magnum PI where Higgins gave Rick a blood transfusion after he was shot. They used a piece of bamboo for the transfer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

This is off topic so apologies but I'm a bit shocked by that, things must be different in the UK.

It's two days to fully test and screen the blood sample here and then after final checks the blood transfusion that was taken and then stored is issued for use by day three. 

I'm amazed that its been mentioned on this thread that a Captain would be on the PA asking for people of a certain blood group to come forward on a sailing so it can go out of one and straight into another but I'm not a medical man so I guess its ok.

Oh -- if you are talking about the process for collecting, testing and storing units of blood that are donated -- that might take a bit longer than I mentioned.  Not sure that it HAS to take 2 days -- but for ROUTINE testing of donated blood, 1-2 days is reasonable.

I was referring to the testing that is done between the donated blood and the recipient's blood - to ensure that it is "compatible".

Again though, in an emergency situation, i.e. life and death, one might forgo the extensive screening done for routinely donated blood and just do a quick "mixing of the donor and recipient blood on a microscope slide to see if they are compatible."

Anyway -- back to the topic at hand.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

They've never worked on any ship we've been on since I think about 2010.  I remember the first few years we cruised (Carnival, Princess and Royal) they did work. I also remember reading that they had been disabled because too many complained about announcements in their cabins.  As in, they couldn't figure out how to turn them down lol.  All those stupid bingo and art auction announcements.

If I remember in the early days, if you kept the volume there was music play, other than announcements.

14 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Actually not - not my cup of tea 🤣

But being from UK, being tired out and knackered come hand in hand 😉

LOL, I didn't know you were from the UK.  The term knackered made me smile. I've only heard my British friends or Downton Abbey fans use the term. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:29 AM, nelblu said:

We had a situation on our Anthem August 2019 where a passenger required a blood transfusion.  The CD kept asking over the loudspeaker if passengers had the needed blood type to donate.  They were not successful and sometime in the afternoon off the coast of Connecticut came a coast guard helicopter.  The copter did not land and made a couple of forays and at one time hovered over the ship.  No further announcements made and assume that the blood type was delivered as after some time we began sailing again. 
Dont know why it did not land. 

IMG_0183.jpeg

They can not land - the pad is for winch only!

On 9/8/2023 at 1:53 PM, GimmeOcean said:

I'd probably want to go watch. How often does one get to see a helicopter land on the ship?

If you back that up to "hover over the ship"  I've been on relatively few cruises compared to a lot of people here, and my answer would be three times.  Although one was technically while I was asleep (no announcement) and I only saw bits of the other two.  But more common than you would think. 

On 9/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, vwlmember said:

I agree with the decision to broadcast the news, but it should have happened before the arrival of the helicopter. 

It likely did, but OP wasn't awakened by that first one.