First cruise which ship: Vision vs Adventure vs Enchantment

Thoenix

Debating between three different ships and itineraries in Feb of 2024 for a first time cruise.  We're three autistic adults who will be sharing a cabin.  We live and work independently.  Two of us are absolutely obsessed with ocean liners, cruise ships, and other large boats, the third wants to sit on a pool deck with a book.  None of us have children.  We might get the refreshment package, but two of us drink no alcohol and one of us drinks maybe 3 drinks in a week even on vacation.  We don't intend to use specialty restaurants.  We care less about specific ports because none of us have travelled the Caribbean so all of it would be new to us and we plan to just get off for an hour or two at each port and wander around near the docks, probably not do any excursions (we find the idea of most excursion options we've seen to be stressful and too busy for us).

If you were us, which would you pick of the following if the pricing was close enough to make that not a factor.  We'd love to just say 'the most possible days on a boat' but also we recognise that the different boats might be more of a factor.

8 nights on Vision leaving Baltimore 
7 nights on Enchantment out of Tampa 
6 nights on Adventure out of Port Canaveral

Edited by Thoenix

Just now, Missusdubbya said:

Vision and Enchantment are very similar, Adventure is much bigger. I would choose Enchantment or Adventure for the nicest weather in Feb.

Do you think that the Baltimore port would be less chaotic and/or that Vision would have fewer people on it?  Just trying to figure out what all factors I ought to be considering.  Decisions are so hard!!

Have you priced flights? That might enter into it for me.

Ship wise adventure is the newest though not that new. The other 2 are older ships and will have less to do and fewer choices to eat.

Personally I want at least a promenade. I was on radiance and grandeur, similar classes as the oldest 2 and I'm not a fan of pizza up in the solarium. I loved radiance and had the best service and food. Hot and great service. So vision maybe. But I'd prefer adventure

Of course no way im flying to a port for 6 days. Period. If I cant make it a b2b, it's not worth the cost of travelling to the port imo. Can you drive to any of those ports?

FYI add on feb you could run into a winter storm out of baltimore. Pre covid I remember a bad storm and a lot of people didnt fly in 2 or 3 days ahead, and 1 day ahead airport closed. They missed their cruise. Couldnt get to the port until roads were cleared, so get a hotel very very close to the port. There is a reason Baltimore cheaper in Feb.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

Debating between three different ships and itineraries in Feb of 2024 for a first time cruise.  We're three autistic adults who will be sharing a cabin.  We live and work independently.  Two of us are absolutely obsessed with ocean liners, cruise ships, and other large boats, the third wants to sit on a pool deck with a book.  None of us have children.  We might get the refreshment package, but two of us drink no alcohol and one of us drinks maybe 3 drinks in a week even on vacation.  We don't intend to use specialty restaurants.  We care less about specific ports because none of us have travelled the Caribbean so all of it would be new to us and we plan to just get off for an hour or two at each port and wander around near the docks, probably not do any excursions (we find the idea of most excursion options we've seen to be stressful and too busy for us).

If you were us, which would you pick of the following if the pricing was close enough to make that not a factor.  We'd love to just say 'the most possible days on a boat' but also we recognise that the different boats might be more of a factor.

Definitely Adventure of the Seas since it sails to Puerto Plata and Labadee.  Those are both good ports to get off and wander.  Not all ports are conducive and safe to just wandering.  Plus, the Adventure is newer than the other too.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Have you priced flights? That might enter into it for me.

Ship wise adventure is the newest though not that new. The other 2 are older ships and will have less to do and fewer choices to eat.

Personally I want at least a promenade. I was on radiance and grandeur, similar classes as the oldest 2 and I'm not a fan of pizza up in the solarium. I loved radiance and had the best service and food. Hot and great service. So vision maybe. But I'd prefer adventure

Of course no way im flying to a port for 6 days. Period. If I cant make it a b2b, it's not worth the cost of travelling to the port imo. Can you drive to any of those ports?

FYI add on feb you could run into a winter storm out of baltimore. Pre covid I remember a bad storm and a lot of people didnt fly in 2 or 3 days ahead, and 1 day ahead airport closed. They missed their cruise. Couldnt get to the port until roads were cleared, so get a hotel very very close to the port. There is a reason Baltimore cheaper in Feb.

Two of us live in the midwest and we're bringing our friend from the UK.  Baltimore is the cheapest flights for all three of us as well as the least flying for our friend from the UK.  We also have a friend who lives near Baltimore who can help us with lodging and driving to the dock, allowing us to arrive earlier for cheaper.  Tampa and Port Caraveral are about the same as one another costwise and would require a hotel for roughly two days before since there is no possible way that any of us can handle 'fly in the night before' kind of stress.  Driving to any of these would be 2+ days for those of us in the midwest.  With us living in the midwest, the possibility of weather cancelled/delayed flights exists no matter what port.

Edited by Thoenix
  • Like 1

I haven't been on any of those ships, so I can't offer insight on the ships.  I'll just offer some thoughts on the things you said you were planning on doing and looked forward to.  We just got off of Mariner (sister ship to Adventure) on a 6 day itinerary.  We enjoyed our cruise but it was too short and so very loud and crowded.  February will be spring break time and the smaller ships (Vision and Enchantment) will be less desirable for booking from that loud crowd.  I don't know your ports, but some are easier to just get off the ship and walk around than others.  Baltimore will be chilly for a few days for the person in your group that wants to hang out by the pool.  Since this is your first cruise you will enjoy a smaller ship even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.  It might actually be nice to experience an older, smaller ship before they don't exist anymore.  Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

Two of us live in the midwest and we're bringing our friend from the UK.  Baltimore is the cheapest flights for all three of us as well as the least flying for our friend from the UK.  We also have a friend who lives near Baltimore who can help us with lodging and driving to the dock, allowing us to arrive earlier for cheaper.  Tampa and Port Caraveral are about the same as one another costwise and would require a hotel for roughly two days before since there is no possible way that any of us can handle 'fly in the night before' kind of stress.  Driving to any of these would be 2+ days for those of us in the midwest.  With us living in the midwest, the possibility of weather cancelled/delayed flights exists no matter what port.

Just be prepared that Baltimore might have a winter storm delaying you getting out. Plus it will be cold onboard when you leave. The other 2 ports are in high season and the chances of a big storm hitting florida in feb would be less.

But if you are ok with the above and have a friend in Baltimore I'd pick that. He can help make it stress free. Enjoy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

It sounds like Baltimore has some very good positive points! Having someone available to take you to the port eliminates a lot of chaos.   

• Like 4

Just now, RoperDK said:

It sounds like Baltimore has some very good positive points! Having someone available to take you to the port eliminates a lot of chaos.   

Yeah, there are some positives that make me consider it where I would usually just consider the hot-weather ports for a winter sailing.  But even if the one who wants to read on deck can't do that for a couple of days, she'll be happy enough in the library or in a quiet corner reading until it gets warmer.  Or she'll just stubbornly bundle up in a big jacket and go read on the deck anyway.  But the warm weather ports also look very good because faster to warm and (hopefully!) sunshine. Why does this have to be so hard to decide!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thoenix said:

Yeah, there are some positives that make me consider it where I would usually just consider the hot-weather ports for a winter sailing.  But even if the one who wants to read on deck can't do that for a couple of days, she'll be happy enough in the library or in a quiet corner reading until it gets warmer.  Or she'll just stubbornly bundle up in a big jacket and go read on the deck anyway.  But the warm weather ports also look very good because faster to warm and (hopefully!) sunshine. Why does this have to be so hard to decide!

Lol, I insisted on spending most of my time outside during our Alaska cruise.  You can get in the sun and out of the wind and be just fine! We always spend some time at the beginning of the cruise discovering the ship anyway.  There will always be a quiet place next to a window to read and watch the sea.  Adventure has less views of the sea that will be quiet than the older ships that are more connected to the sea.  It is hard to choose when it is your first time.  In reality, you will have a great time whatever you decide.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Lol, I insisted on spending most of my time outside during our Alaska cruise.  You can get in the sun and out of the wind and be just fine! We always spend some time at the beginning of the cruise discovering the ship anyway.  There will always be a quiet place next to a window to read and watch the sea.  Adventure has less views of the sea that will be quiet than the older ships that are more connected to the sea.  It is hard to choose when it is your first time.  In reality, you will have a great time whatever you decide.   

I'm very sure we will have a wonderful time.  The two of us who are what we refer to as 'boat autistics' affectionately have been watching the build for Icon (I am very aware that she is a VERY VERY VERY different ship) with great longing and we're interested in comparing the older ships to what we've seen in the build videos.  Part of our reasoning for this cruise, longterm, is that we think Royal has the best ships of any of the lines out there in terms of innovation, size, and so on.  We'd like to become Royal loyalists and with the goal to sail on every boat in the fleet for compare/contrast interest.  Going with older boats before they retire seems smart to get this goal met but picking the first one is so hard!!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

I'm a reader and my favorite place is the bar up high in the aft. I think of as the Crows nest. It's all glassed in and you can see out the glass 3 directions. There is a bar on adventure like this

My other favorite is sitting in aft. I love watching the aft wake.

Or sit overlooking the promenade where you can see out at the ocean while music and stuff is going on. 

• Like 1

I vote for Vision!

Your mention of your obsession with ocean liners was the first thing that caught my eye (we are shipgeeks).  Vision, and Enchantment, are much more like traditional ocean liners; Adventure, with a promenade down the middle (ugh) is not.  We like the ocean views all over the ship, on promenade (outdoor) deck, big windows in public rooms, and from the wraparound Viking Crown Lounge, on deck 11.

The port facility is one of the smallest, and easiest to navigate, with very helpful staff. The crew onboard are fantastic. The passengers are usually pleasant and friendly.  There are hotels between BWI airport and the port that provide shuttles and other amenities.

We sail out of Baltimore every winter. We usually board in a winter coat, but by the next day it is getting warmer, and the coat goes under the bed til the last day.

And being the longest of your choices, it makes the flights and other expenses feel better.  Those 8 days will be gone in a flash!

Please keep your thoughts coming, pro and con and otherwise.

• Like 3

Baltimore is a great port, and Vision is perfect for cruising from cooler to warmer climates due to the motorized glass roof of the Solarium. The Centrum is more open to the seas than the Promenande on Adventure. The ships sails under the Francis Scott Key Bridge, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and finally, through the gap “tunnel portion” of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. 

Upon debarkation, please indulge in a Maryland Jumbo Lump Crabcake, not to be confused with a “Maryland Style Crabcake”…those who know are nodding their heads right now.

• Like 3

I have sailed out of Baltimore several times in the winter without any problem. As already mentioned, the Baltimore port is smaller and much easier to navigate. The Vision is a smaller ship and very easy to find your way around. It will have fewer passengers and will not be as hectic as a larger ship. When the weather isn’t nice enough outside, the indoor pool is an option. Definitely take the longest cruise you can. It will be over before you know it. Enjoy. 

• Like 3

Vision is a nice small ship, and Baltimore is a relatively uncomplicated port. The one major drawback would be sailing in the Atlantic if you are not experienced cruisers and think that rougher seas might bother you. All things being equal, I'd jump on eight nights in a heartbeat. We'll be on Vision at the end of October and are hoping the sea gods will be kind to us on our way to Bermuda and the Bahamas, and back. 

Another advantage is that if you find you enjoyed your cruise, most other ships you might choose for the second one will be larger and may have more to offer. Sometimes people cruise on the biggest ship first and find anything after that a letdown. 

• Like 2

Thoenix, another thought while you are making the big decision of which ship....

Re drinks onboard: There is coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade, fruit juice, ice water available free. Beer and cocktails can be purchased individually, so that might be the best option for your group.

I like your idea of not doing specialty restaurants.  Dinner each evening in the dining room, especially if you are at a set time with the same waiters, can be a fun and very "traditional" element of cruising. The three of you could request your own table, or, if you'd like a bigger table with a few other passengers, that's a possibility, too.  For breakfast and lunch, there is dining room and buffet options.

4 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Thoenix, another thought while you are making the big decision of which ship....

Re drinks onboard: There is coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade, fruit juice, ice water available free. Beer and cocktails can be purchased individually, so that might be the best option for your group.

I like your idea of not doing specialty restaurants.  Dinner each evening in the dining room, especially if you are at a set time with the same waiters, can be a fun and very "traditional" element of cruising. The three of you could request your own table, or, if you'd like a bigger table with a few other passengers, that's a possibility, too.  For breakfast and lunch, there is dining room and buffet options.

We might do a refreshment or soda package. Two of us love a good mocktail and one drinks a fair bit of soda I think, but we'll see what we all decide. 

14 hours ago, Thoenix said:

For a first cruise, like others, I would choose Adventure.  It has the Royal Promenade which is basically like a street running through the ship with shops and cafes.  The Adventure also goes to Labadee and San Juan both great ports to walk about and find things to do right off the ship.  Whichever you choose, have a great trip. 

I have sailed on both Enchantment and Vision, both out of Baltimore. It sounds like leaving from Baltimore will be easier for you.  I would choose this.  Vision is a nice ship. It's not too crowded, which sounds like might be hard for some of you, and it will introduce you to cruising.  Everyone on the crew is very friendly.

As I recall, Enchantment has two outside pools, while Vision only has one.  It got very crowded at the pool on Vision and I didn't use the pools at all because of this.  Other than that, I preferred Vision.

Have fun!

2 hours ago, Thoenix said:

We might do a refreshment or soda package. Two of us love a good mocktail and one drinks a fair bit of soda I think, but we'll see what we all decide. 

Whatever cruise you select, you may want to buy your extras such as soda pkg or internet online when black Friday sales start in November.  

I personally would select Baltimore.   Very easy port and as you said you have a friend local to Baltimore to help get around.

We have cruised out of NJ and MD for many years during winter months and it is chilly for first day until the ship gets to the Carolinas or so.

Have fun planning.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who has booked my starter cruise and also for Feb 2024.   

People talk about small ships.  Think of it this way, it wasn't that long ago that each of those ships under consideration was the biggest and shiniest ship, or at least nearly the same size as the biggest.   

If I were in your place, I'd take the longer trip out of Baltimore.  

• Like 4