Credit Cards

25 minutes ago, fishtaco said:

We use AMEX almost exclusively and have only ever come across a few small shops and businesses who do not accept AMEX. The fees for paying for an Aussie cruise with AMEX are high though at 3.5% I used to use 28Degree for all my trips but since they changed the benefits of no foreign exchange fees are just as good with AMEX. 

28 Degrees hasn't changed the no foreign transaction fee thingy. We use it all the time and all the overseas charges on oyr current statement clearly state "Txn inc 0.00 International Transaction Fee".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

28 Degrees hasn't changed the no foreign transaction fee thingy. We use it all the time and all the overseas charges on oyr current statement clearly state "Txn inc 0.00 International Transaction Fee".

Just an account fee and a foreign ATM fee, but they are the only fees they have added over the years as far as I can recall. Definitely still one of the best traveller credit card options.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Just an account fee and a foreign ATM fee, but they are the only fees they have added over the years as far as I can recall. Definitely still one of the best traveller credit card options.

Yes, you do need to use a debit card for ATM withdrawals. The account fee is very small compared with other credit card annual fees.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Agreed apart from the data leaks and the fraud. We had to close our card (last April) due to that and we miss it. I may open a new account.

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, you do need to use a debit card for ATM withdrawals. The account fee is very small compared with other credit card annual fees.

We use a Citi bank card for ATM cash advances, although they have recently been bought by NAB, so I wonder if things will change.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We use a Citi bank card for ATM cash advances, although they have recently been bought by NAB, so I wonder if things will change.

Ditto! 

We also have a Citibank credit card and NAB have changed the travel insurance rules on that ... in our favour. Unfortunately it kicks in 1st November so I can't get existing conditions okayed until then. 

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

No annual account fee. We use ours to make purchases overseas. We used to make fee free withdrawals from overseas ATMs with our ING debit card, but they no longer rebate the overseas ATM fee. Not sure what we will use for cash in the future. We are ok for our next cruise to New Zealand because we still have some cash left after our cruise last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

No annual account fee. We use ours to make purchases overseas. We used to make fee free withdrawals from overseas ATMs with our ING debit card, but they no longer rebate the overseas ATM fee. Not sure what we will use for cash in the future. We are ok for our next cruise to New Zealand because we still have some cash left after our cruise last year.

I didn't mention an annual fee. There is a monthly processing fee ($0.95) which applies if you don't use direct debit or their facility to pay your account. I don't trust their facility, so pay via my bank's B-Pay, but I do pay it a couple of months worth of credit in advance so to incur that fee only every 2 or 3 months. While the card is dormant and in credit, say if you use it exclusively for travelling, there will be no processing charges.

For cash, the 3% cash advance fee is much like having a pretty average rate through currency exchange, as long as you draw what you need in one hit. Cash is just an emergency thing for us now, or tips when in the US. Both of the above used to be fee free when we signed-up for 28deg.

The other hidden fee is to make sure you are zeroing your card, as 27% isn't a cheap interest rate to be paying.

Hi guys, I know y'all be able to help with this question. We're in NZ in a smaller centre. My daughter went to H&M in Auckland last week (Aus store) and they had a sign up saying they no longer accepted cash. It's the first we've heard of it so it must be a new thing being rolled out.

They'll be going to the Gold Coast next month followed by a Queensland cruise and had been planning to bring cash to stock up on kids' things, and the kids will have cash for their spending - likely all the bigger stores.

Is no cash in stores in Aus a common thing or are Kiwis the guinea pigs?

Thanks 💰

33 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi guys, I know y'all be able to help with this question. We're in NZ in a smaller centre. My daughter went to H&M in Auckland last week (Aus store) and they had a sign up saying they no longer accepted cash. It's the first we've heard of it so it must be a new thing being rolled out.

They'll be going to the Gold Coast next month followed by a Queensland cruise and had been planning to bring cash to stock up on kids' things, and the kids will have cash for their spending - likely all the bigger stores.

Thanks 💰

Very few stores are no cash. There are a few KFC stores that hit the news this past week for no longer accepting cash, but we are still at the tip of the iceberg.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks 💰

Any business can refuse cash legally stating to maintain hygiene, ( blame Covid )I think you will find the big supermarkets such as Woolworths,Coles have said they have no plans to ban cash and I believe the big main stores will accept cash. The Gold Coast Council has stated it is now cashless for its council owned swimming pools and other payments. McDonalds.Hungry Jacks. Domino Pizzas are all ok for cash. Good Luck to your daughter and family.I hope they have a good time in the Gold Coast and have a great Cruise.

Cheers John.

Edited by JohnGc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That goes for any credit card.

Too true. I just mention that in context. By making an effort to choose a card that might save $100 of fees/commissions on an overseas trip, the savings have well and truly vanished if you can't zero it. My everyday Visa is 12%, and even though it has a 3% international conversion commission, it would be a much cheaper TCO if I was unable to zero it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Very few stores are no cash. There are a few KFC stores that hit the news this past week for no longer accepting cash, but we are still at the tip of the iceberg.

I understand that at the MCG (footy and cricket) they are not accepting cash.  Reports of Grandads giving kids $20 to go and get some chips and them needing a credit card. Difficulty as who wants to give a young kid a credit card and it gets lost!!   But that is how things are going but it may take a couple of years yet before it really happens widely.  

Eileen

• Like 2

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. You'll be pleased to hear that money burns a hole in my daughter's pockets and her kids, especially the 14 year old, have the same trait. So look out for an upcoming boost to the Aus economy 🤣

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. You'll be pleased to hear that money burns a hole in my daughter's pockets and her kids, especially the 14 year old, have the same trait. So look out for an upcoming boost to the Aus economy 🤣

Send them my way, I could do with  bonus

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

I understand that at the MCG (footy and cricket) they are not accepting cash.  Reports of Grandads giving kids $20 to go and get some chips and them needing a credit card. Difficulty as who wants to give a young kid a credit card and it gets lost!!   But that is how things are going but it may take a couple of years yet before it really happens widely.  

Eileen

No, the MCG and also Marvel Stadium have been cashless for some time. It actually started at Marvel prior to Covid. There are signs on all the food/drink outlets stating they don't take cash. It is also on their websites. You just have to be prepared these days. We have a couple of stores in our local shopping centre that only take cash which is quite frustrating as I rarely have cash on me. 

You don't need a credit card, just a debit/eftpos card that you can tap. My grandsons who are both teenagers have their own cards and are able to go to both stadiums and buy food and drink easily. My ten year old granddaughter easily pays with her father's card at the MCG. 

• Like 1

I don't have a credit card these days, just an ANZ Debit Card, so the only money I can spend is my own. I am not good on the finances. My late wife a one time CBA bank person was the financial director.

Never had a problem paying for things with my debit card, inc local travel and cruise last year.  But I always like to have a couple of hundred dollars in my wallet, after all, cash is King. 

Some of the Chinese and Pizza type eateries I visit on my country road trips only take cash.  Dodging the tax man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

No, the MCG and also Marvel Stadium have been cashless for some time. It actually started at Marvel prior to Covid. There are signs on all the food/drink outlets stating they don't take cash. It is also on their websites. You just have to be prepared these days. We have a couple of stores in our local shopping centre that only take cash which is quite frustrating as I rarely have cash on me. 

You don't need a credit card, just a debit/eftpos card that you can tap. My grandsons who are both teenagers have their own cards and are able to go to both stadiums and buy food and drink easily. My ten year old granddaughter easily pays with her father's card at the MCG. 

I guess it is a choice thing for parents if you are willing to let your young kids have cards.     

my grandkids all have there own cards.

i am a member of a Probus club and some of our members still do not have credit or debit cards,    We are trying to get change on how we collect our fees but it is not easy.   When we have people paying fees means our treasurer has large amounts of cash to take to the bank…not very safe in this day and age.   She says the churches are having the same trouble going to the bank as some local banks are not taking cash any longer so they have to travel to find a bank.   She used to be a bank manager and says we have only a few years left for cash and cheques.

Eileen

3 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

I guess it is a choice thing for parents if you are willing to let your young kids have cards.     

my grandkids all have there own cards.

i am a member of a Probus club and some of our members still do not have credit or debit cards,    We are trying to get change on how we collect our fees but it is not easy.   When we have people paying fees means our treasurer has large amounts of cash to take to the bank…not very safe in this day and age.   She says the churches are having the same trouble going to the bank as some local banks are not taking cash any longer so they have to travel to find a bank.   She used to be a bank manager and says we have only a few years left for cash and cheques.

Eileen

There is a problem with people even being able to do their banking at a bank branch. All the bank branches have closed in our suburb and neighbouring ones except for one CBA ten minutes away. The last time I was in a branch was a few years ago when I picked up a bank cheque for my new car. That branch has now also closed. I know that many post offices act as bank branches.

My father who is 93 uses a card to pay for almost everything now although still occasionally uses cheques. Dad and Mum decided some years ago that they had to have cards to get by, that it wasn't always going to be easy to get cash.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

Very few stores are no cash. There are a few KFC stores that hit the news this past week for no longer accepting cash, but we are still at the tip of the iceberg

So funny being in one of these cashless venues when the internet goes down though 🤣 Have had the pleasure of being in a cashless store when they had the internet go down and were unable to process any EFT transactions.

The amount of angry people holding phones at the register was hilarious, even funnier was the pile of unwanted goods left as customers walked off. They still wouldn't accept the good old folding stuff I had though so my stuff was added to the pile at the checkout.

Cashless society ftw.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/1/2023 at 9:20 AM, Jean C said:

Thanks 💰

I use cash for most of my purchases.  The only place I visit at the GC with no cash is the HOTA, Home of the Arts.  I have noticed an increasing number of shops now have a surcharge for credit cards.  On Monday, a public holiday, some Sydney shops charged 15% extra for public holiday, plus a charge for using a credit card. 

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I use cash for most of my purchases.  The only place I visit at the GC with no cash is the HOTA, Home of the Arts.  I have noticed an increasing number of shops now have a surcharge for credit cards.  On Monday, a public holiday, some Sydney shops charged 15% extra for public holiday, plus a charge for using a credit card. 

Thank you. We too have an increasing number of outlets adding surcharges for credit card use and also the 15% extra on public holidays - mostly cafes and restaurants, although you occasionally find ones have a "no surcharge on public holidays" sign. 

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The surcharge is not a card charge but to help pay the public holiday rates for staff.