Paper Boarding Pass

JTBCruiser

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

... If my 86 yr old mother can open her phone to her set sail pass, anyone can do it.

If you have that many issues with your phone, then it makes sense to use paper.

It's not that I can't use my phone; it's that I find a piece of paper tucked into my passport book easier.  

Why do you feel the need to insult people's abilities /choices?  

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The worst is those paper folks rummaging through their purse of carryon trying to find some rumpled piece of paper.  

In all fairness, some people rummage through their purses for their phones (or through their phones for the right spot) as well.  This one's kinda a half-and-half thing. 

1 hour ago, Rackham said:

The printed copies are like travel insurance. It's extraneous until you need it and don't have it. 

A good analogy. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It's not that I can't use my phone; it's that I find a piece of paper tucked into my passport book easier.  

Why do you feel the need to insult people's abilities /choices?

You listed a whole bunch of issues you could have if you used your phone, I agreed with you that paper makes more sense for you.  How is that insulting you if I am agreeing with you that paper is a good choice for you?

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You listed a whole bunch of issues you could have if you used your phone, I agreed with you that paper makes more sense for you.  How is that insulting you if I am agreeing with you that paper is a good choice for you?

The line about how if your elderly mother can do it, anyone can do it.  

The line about having "issues" with phone use.  

I always print everything out and keep in a folder but before we get in a line whether it is to board a cruise ship or enter an attraction I always take it out and give to everyone so are ready when it is our turn and do not hold anyone up behind us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CynBeth6 said:

I always print everything out and keep in a folder but before we get in a line whether it is to board a cruise ship or enter an attraction I always take it out and give to everyone so are ready when it is our turn and do not hold anyone up behind us.

I wish the guy ahead of us at Cape Liberty understood that concept.  We were in the suite holding area when they announced boarding was starting.  We were in the front row and got up and headed towards the door, as everyone else was doing.  This guy came flying by everyone, dragging a couple of kids and got to the door first.  He then turned around and asked everyone to move aside so the rest of his group could catch up.  Only about another 15 or so.  He then started to pull out set sail passes from a folder.  The second door then opened but the lady at the first door asked him to step aside to let those that were ready pass, he didn't move.  The person at the second door motioned for us to go over to her and many followed.  We showed our set sail passes on our iphones and off we went. 

• Like 1

OK, so I am a person who ALWAYS prints out my boarding pass...but on my upcoming Vision cruise (October 26) I am not able to access the Set Sail Pass on my computer..  I keep getting this:

CHECK IN NOW!

We’ve gone mobile! Check in on the app

Scan your passport, view your boarding pass, and save time on your sail day.

Won't have a mobile boarding pass? View check-in procedures chevron-right.svg

I did go ahead and check in on the app and I have the boarding pass in my "wallet" but I really, really want a "hard copy" boarding pass in my hand.  We are on a b2b so I also tried on that leg and I'm still not able to print my beloved hard copy boarding pass.  When I sailed this past May, I was still able to print a hard copy so I'm very frustrated and it looks like I'm the only one who is having an issue with this.

15 hours ago, orville99 said:

Worst place to ne at check in is behind someone who has their boarding pass on their phone and has to scroll through pages of photos to find it - just print the boarding pass directly from the app - 10X quicker

System currently is not linking to the Arrival Times page - neither the app nor the website do anything when you click on that link

When it works, it is a lot quicker to do it on the pp. Unfortunately, today it is not working at all.

Not if your boarding pass is in your wallet.

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were in the front row and got up and headed towards the door, as everyone else was doing.  This guy came flying by everyone, dragging a couple of kids and got to the door first.  He then turned around and asked everyone to move aside so the rest of his group could catch up.  Only about another 15 or so.  He then started to pull out set sail passes from a folder.  The second door then opened but the lady at the first door asked him to step aside to let those that were ready pass, he didn't move. 

Had something very similar happen during boarding in Ravenna last month.  Fortunately the staff firmly told the offender(s) to step aside and wait their turn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alex_drew said:

OK, so I am a person who ALWAYS prints out my boarding pass...but on my upcoming Vision cruise (October 26) I am not able to access the Set Sail Pass on my computer..  I keep getting this:

CHECK IN NOW!

I did go ahead and check in on the app and I have the boarding pass in my "wallet" but I really, really want a "hard copy" boarding pass in my hand.  We are on a b2b so I also tried on that leg and I'm still not able to print my beloved hard copy boarding pass.  When I sailed this past May, I was still able to print a hard copy so I'm very frustrated and it looks like I'm the only one who is having an issue with this.

Take a screen shot, then send it to your printer.

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Opening the wallet on an iPhone is literally two clicks of the power button. I promise you I can do it faster than you can open a book.

Then you would not present a problem to those behind you. Unfortunately, others aren't as conscious of where they are and what they are doing.

8 hours ago, alex_drew said:

CHECK IN NOW!

Just click on "view boarding pass" on your computer and then click on the "print this page" link. 

Capture.JPG

Wow, I didn't expect this much discussion but back to my question.  My DW and I are checked in but both on the computer and RCI phone app, it still says it's too early to request boarding time.  I know the last 2 sailings on Norwegian and Carnival, I was unable to get a boarding time until 72 hours before embarkation.  Wondering if RCI is now doing the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

Wow, I didn't expect this much discussion but back to my question.  My DW and I are checked in but both on the computer and RCI phone app, it still says it's too early to request boarding time.  I know the last 2 sailings on Norwegian and Carnival, I was unable to get a boarding time until 72 hours before embarkation.  Wondering if RCI is now doing the same thing. 

We are still having the same issue with two of our cruises. We get to the cruise contract screen, but once we hit continue (which should take us to the select boarding time page), we get:

Capture.JPG

with no way to exit the page.

Since we can't get past this page, the boarding pass never populates in the system, so there is nothing available to print.

Edited by orville99

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We are still having the same issue with two of our cruises. We get to the cruise contract screen, but once we hit continue (which should take us to the select boarding time page), we get:

Capture.JPG

with no way to exit the page.

Since we can't get past this page, the boarding pass never populates in the system, so there is nothing available to print.

Exactly, same here.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Just click on "view boarding pass" on your computer and then click on the "print this page" link. 

Capture.JPG

Orville, I have been doing this for years...what I'm saying is that I no longer get this option to print this page.  For my October cruise it says they have gone digital and if you do not have a cell phone, you have the option to print a sheet that simply has your name and reservation # on it with no other info and it tells you that you will have to take just that information to check in and be prepared to stand in line.  Maybe they are just trying this in Baltimore?  We are on Vision October 26th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Take a screen shot, then send it to your printer.

Thank you, Wineaux...this worked.  HAHA, I had tried e-mailing it to myself but couldn't open it on my regular computer.  I had to look up how to take a screenshot on my iphone (something I had never done)...and now I have both my husband's and my passes printed from my phone.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Then you would not present a problem to those behind you. Unfortunately, others aren't as conscious of where they are and what they are doing.

As are many paper users.  The reality is life is going paperless.  The sooner those who are uncomfortable with tech get comfortable the better.  

1 hour ago, alex_drew said:

Orville, I have been doing this for years...what I'm saying is that I no longer get this option to print this page.  For my October cruise it says they have gone digital and if you do not have a cell phone, you have the option to print a sheet that simply has your name and reservation # on it with no other info and it tells you that you will have to take just that information to check in and be prepared to stand in line.  Maybe they are just trying this in Baltimore?  We are on Vision October 26th.

Are you using the app or are you logging in to your C&A account on a computer? The screen I grabbed only shows up if you are going into their website to log in to your C&A Account and log in from this screen:

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

As are many paper users.  The reality is life is going paperless.  The sooner those who are uncomfortable with tech get comfortable the better.  

Luddites will only adopt tech when the rest of the planet has moved on to whatever comes next - and age is not a factor.

A good number of years ago, after airlines had started issuing electronic boarding passes, I started a thread pondering when cruise lines would follow suit. Wow, talk about being flamed! The majority of posters were adamantly opposed to the idea and didn't hold back expressing their opinion.

With this current thread, there remain a number of people who continue to prefer paper boarding passes, but there appears to have been a huge shift in favour of electronic passes. Good to see the progress.

• Like 1