Destination celebration??

roger b

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Just received an email  from AZ telling  me they have changed  the Amazing Evening  to a Destination Celebration ,what's  the difference!!.

I got the info also. The acts will be performing on the ship. Either in Cabaret Lounge or pool deck (that was my experiance in the past). I am sad about that - an event at night in the desert would be much more spectacular.

Would assume it will be on deck, weather permitting, as it said, "under African skies". Funny enough, it shows how difficult  for Azamara to "please all the people, all the time". I prefer the idea of staying "onboard" as have experienced African dust/sand storms, and they suddenly appear and ruin what you are doing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Salties said:

Would assume it will be on deck, weather permitting, as it said, "under African skies". Funny enough, it shows how difficult  for Azamara to "please all the people, all the time". I prefer the idea of staying "onboard" as have experienced African dust/sand storms, and they suddenly appear and ruin what you are doing.

This feels like a cost-cutting exercise to me ??? Let's hope that they are able to keep up the standard that they have built up.

22 minutes ago, The Salties said:

So with you on that one. Also recognise that if it’s onboard the ship can be in control of all “hygiene related issues”. Likewise the transport logistics can be a nightmare especially if there are insufficient safe buses. 

People always rave about an evening at Wadi Rum. We were at one of the earlier ones there. Yes beautiful setting but 40 minute bus ride with drivers racing to do double runs and the ships safety people doing their nut about so many things. (The final straw for the hotel director was the local guy cigarette in mouth handing ( yes literally handing) the bread out, drops some on the ground and picks it back onto the serving plate.) We did the same event 9 months later it was a little better but still rather unsafe hygiene wise.

Some countries just don’t have the infrastructure to cope with c700 people in one place safely. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roger b said:

This feels like a cost-cutting exercise to me ??? Let's hope that they are able to keep up the standard that they have built up.

Not sure you can deduce that it’s about a safe clean venue that there is appropriate transport for a quick move of 500+ people 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, uktog said:

So with you on that one. Also recognise that if it’s onboard the ship can be in control of all “hygiene related issues”. Likewise the transport logistics can be a nightmare especially if there are insufficient safe buses. 

People always rave about an evening at Wadi Rum. We were at one of the earlier ones there. Yes beautiful setting but 40 minute bus ride with drivers racing to do double runs and the ships safety people doing their nut about so many things. (The final straw for the hotel director was the local guy cigarette in mouth handing ( yes literally handing) the bread out, drops some on the ground and picks it back onto the serving plate.) We did the same event 9 ard to the cruise months later it was a little better but still rather unsafe hygiene wise.

Some countries just don’t have the infrastructure to cope with c700 people in one place safely. 

O.K I agree with your comments and understand the logistics would be challenging also the health issues , looking forward to our cruise you said 500+ people, I also feel this cruise will not be full. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger b said:

O.K I agree with your comments and understand the logistics would be challenging also the health issues , looking forward to our cruise you said 500+ people, I also feel this cruise will not be full. 

But they can’t know that the ship would not be full when planning the event months earlier, so that would not be a factor.

• Like 1

We've had 2 AzAmazing Evenings changed out of 3 on our B2B2B in November/December (Valencia and the one quoted above in Walvis Bay, Namibia). Since one of those would likely be fairly easy to arrange (Arts and Sciences Center in Valencia) and one more difficult (a desert venue in Walvis Bay) it may be a combination of both expense and logistics.  If you talk to anyone on the ship (especially the Shore Ex team who do much of the heavy lifting) it is a lot of very involved work.  

On our last 2 AzAmazing nights earlier this year (HCM City and Colombo) we remarked at both the huge amount of work to arrange, coordinate and bring to fruition it was PLUS the obviously huge expense.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, roger b said:

When you consider that this one is in Africa, where there often can be problems with weather, and you can pretty much count on problems with quality and safety of transport, especially after dark, and food hygiene issues, as uktog has pointed out, it makes sense to have this event on the ship. I’d prefer it that way, frankly. On our cruise from Cape Town to Lisbon last year, our Azamazing Evening was in the Canaries, I’m sure to avoid just such problems.

I attend these events to enjoy local culture, and have fun. I don’t think it would be useful for me to keep a tally of how much I think Azamara spent per person, for each event.

• Like 2

In our particular sailings, it just seems strange that the 2 evenings (in Valencia and Walvis Bay) that have been cancelled were literally been on the books for over 18 months, with specific notes on the venues, what would be seen there and bookable online a long time ago (prior to the migration, in fact). And then changed less than 60 days prior to departure. 

It will be interesting to see if the only AzAmazing night left, in Port Elizabeth, South Africa (again, with very detailed descriptions of where and what will occur) survives. 

18 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

https://www.azamara.com/static-assets/files/AzAmazing Celebrations.pdf

Are none of the remaining ones listed on their website going to take place?

I've not heard of any of the others in upcoming months being cancelled, but would have to hear from folks on those sailings.

• Thanks 1

On our Antartica cruise this coming December on the Quest, a bona fide Azamazing evening in Montevideo has been scheduled.  On our Hong Kong to Tokyo in March 2024, however, a destination celebration in Kagoshima is on the books.  For our B2B Japan Intensive following the latter, nothing has been a announced so far.  We've participated in both (celebrations onboard and evenings off of the ships).  Personally, I've found the Azamazing Evenings not just memorable, but a hallmark for Azamara.  Sure, it's a lot of work, especially in certain less-developed parts of the world, but for us the evenings have been exceptionally enjoyable.  Is it just me, or weren't the 'Destination Celebrations' intended to replace 'Azamazing Evenings' during the pandemic? Any insight is welcome.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cruiser Craig said:

weren't the 'Destination Celebrations' intended to replace 'Azamazing Evenings' during the pandemic? Any insight is welcome.

I suspect not all itineraries can accommodate offship events. My last trip in March was Canaries and entertainment was brought onboard. There was a statement made that there will be a mix of event types. Offship still appear to be the majority but a number of cruises do have Shipboard

31 minutes ago, Cruiser Craig said:

Is it just me, or weren't the 'Destination Celebrations' intended to replace 'Azamazing Evenings' during the pandemic? Any insight is welcome.

Yes, that was definitely the case and it made sense at the time. 

46 minutes ago, Scots Caz said:

I suspect not all itineraries can accommodate offship events. My last trip in March was Canaries and entertainment was brought onboard. There was a statement made that there will be a mix of event types. Offship still appear to be the majority but a number of cruises do have Shipboard

I completey understand, especially with respect to the African itineraries.  But Croatia?  Japan?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruiser Craig said:

I completey understand, especially with respect to the African itineraries.  But Croatia?  Japan?

There is a lingering aftereffect of the pandemic, which is that many people have left the tourism economy.  Therefore even if Azamara comes back to a port where they previously did an AzAmazing Evening, the vendors they used in the past may no longer exist or may no longer be able to accommodate the numbers required.

• Like 5