clothing and shoes questions

Jetswdo

It's been 4 years since my husband and myself have been on a cruise- Last one was Celebrity Solstice- Alaska---

My husband wants to know if he is "stuck" having to pack his brown "good" shoes and black socks to wear at night in the restaurants, including Blu (we are in Aqua class) or can he just wear his nice white tennis shoes.  He wears  slacks at night and collared polo shirt.  I want to know if he should have a blazer  to wear at Murano's which I remember as being a bit dressier than the other restaurants. This is for a Mexico Thanksgiving cruise out of San Pedro. Anyway, I told him I will ask on Celebrity forum. Thanks, Anita

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

It's been 4 years since my husband and myself have been on a cruise- Last one was Celebrity Solstice- Alaska---

My husband wants to know if he is "stuck" having to pack his brown "good" shoes and black socks to wear at night in the restaurants, including Blu (we are in Aqua class) or can he just wear his nice white tennis shoes.  He wears  slacks at night and collared polo shirt.  I want to know if he should have a blazer  to wear at Murano's which I remember as being a bit dressier than the other restaurants. This is for a Mexico Thanksgiving cruise out of San Pedro. Anyway, I told him I will ask on Celebrity forum. Thanks, Anita

Personally, I would not wear tennis shoes to Murano.  I see Murano as a special night and would not wear sneakers to a real nice restaurant back home.  "Nice" shoes should not take up much space in the suitcase.

The polo shirt would be acceptable for evening dining both in the MDR and Murano.  No blazer needed in Murano.

• Like 2

My husband also would not wear tennis/athletic shoes while in Murano.  In the evening, on non evening chic nights, he wears a nice pair of black Sketchers slip-ons.  He has some issues with periodic plantar fasciitis and these work well for him.  On chic nights he wears a suit and dress shoes.

• Like 3

For  specialty night out...dh  (wide shoe size) brings comfy slip on dress shoes..loafer style(?) .dress socks. No suit, no tie... maybe Sports jacket or " fancy " Tommy Bahama..or  nice collared polo.. ..dress slacks.

He  wears dark New Balance athletic shoes at night with dark socks.. khaki or docker type pants...

.White New Balance  ones by day..with white socks

comfort is key!

I wear dark sneakers and khakis wherever, and whenever, on the ship in the evenings. Doesn’t matter the occasion. I refuse to pack dress shoes or a sport jacket for one or two evenings on a cruise when my suit case is packed for other additional days spent on vacation either before or after the cruise. 

• Like 3

Most guests dress up at least a bit for Murano so your husband would likely be in the minority in running shoes. That said, they’re everywhere with even suits these days. 

My husband hates wearing a suit and he wore a button down shirt with trousers in Murano last week. Some men wore jackets.  He does pack a blazer for every cruise just because it’s sometimes cool in the evening & it’s easy to wear a jacket on the plane when we travel to the ship.

1 hour ago, Jetswdo said:

They may have pants police but I've never seen the tennis shoe police....he should be fine. Have a great cruise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Be like some of the cruise directors.   No socks.     

There is no restriction on the color of the socks but there is on the dinner jacket.  😱🤗.  NOT 

I wouldn’t wear flip flops, sandals, or clogs.   

Basically dress the way you what.   The way you dress makes it the experience you want. 

If you want to make it feel special dress the way that you feel makes it that way.

If you want to feel like any other dining experience then dress that way.  It is what you make it 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

Sneakers at night… nah

Depends on your definition of sneakers. A nice black leather sneaker is a classic look with casual or dressy pants and button shirt or Polo type short sleeve. 

Screenshot_20231008-085834.png

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

makes it easy to spot American tourists in Europe!

If you made that statement 20 years ago I would have agreed with you, but not any longer. Sneakers are acceptable footwear the world over. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, hcat said:

makes it easy to spot American tourists in Europe!

Actually in Germany we noticed a lot of people wearing sneakers and suits together. It was quite surprising but when your running on your feet for 10 hours on concrete the smart women don’t wear heels. Keep in mind I was at a big textile and soft craft industry trade show. Big difference between high end leather sneakers and a pair of new balance trainers meant for the gym though. Actual athletic shoes are more of an American style for sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Even on Chic nights, you'll see folks in shorts and flip flops...If you don't see them, you're not looking hard enough 🙃

Or your in Alaska in September and only get to see “fancy flip flops”

• Haha 1