Looking for Soda clarification

wannagonow123

Am I incorrect reading that I am no longer allowed to bring a 12 pack of canned soda aboard? I only drink diet, non- caffeinated  sodas. I do not drink any alcoholic beverages, so the "Have it all package" is out. My husband and I drink 1 coffee a day, then sodas, so The quench package make no sense. So it appears I am going to be required to purchase the soda package and hope the ship has caffeine free coke or Sprite Zero?? This is my first trip back on Holland since the shutdown, and I am getting frustrated at all their changes. Even the "each" person in the stateroom must purchase rule is frustrating.

Before the shutdown, we had a 10 day cruise where they had ZERO diet sodas, caffeinated or not. They ran out the prior cruise and it was not replenished prior to us leaving Ft. Lauderdale. I had purchased a soda package at the time, and had a hard time getting it refunded, as regular soda were available. I had to drink iced tea until we got to a port where I could purchase and bring some on. 

10 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

Am I incorrect reading that I am no longer allowed to bring a 12 pack of canned soda aboard? I only drink diet, non- caffeinated  sodas. I do not drink any alcoholic beverages, so the "Have it all package" is out. My husband and I drink 1 coffee a day, then sodas, so The quench package make no sense. So it appears I am going to be required to purchase the soda package and hope the ship has caffeine free coke or Sprite Zero?? This is my first trip back on Holland since the shutdown, and I am getting frustrated at all their changes. Even the "each" person in the stateroom must purchase rule is frustrating.

Before the shutdown, we had a 10 day cruise where they had ZERO diet sodas, caffeinated or not. They ran out the prior cruise and it was not replenished prior to us leaving Ft. Lauderdale. I had purchased a soda package at the time, and had a hard time getting it refunded, as regular soda were available. I had to drink iced tea until we got to a port where I could purchase and bring some on. 

No sodas may be brought onboard.

From the Room Service Menu:  Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, ginger ale,
orange soda.  This is a minimum selection as bars have water and club soda in addition.

16 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

So it appears I am going to be required to purchase the soda package and hope the ship has caffeine free coke or Sprite Zero??

Even the "each" person in the stateroom must purchase rule is frustrating.

You do not have to purchase a soda package, you can purchase single drinks if that works out to be less expensive for you. I have been able to have Sprite Zero at all meals or from any bar. Sometimes I need to call it Diet Sprite for waiters to understand though. Have taken 5 cruises since the restart.

HAL had the "non-sharing of packages" and "each person in stateroom must purchase" terms in place before the shutdown.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

So it appears I am going to be required to purchase the soda package and hope the ship has caffeine free coke or Sprite Zero??

Of course you can just pay as you go without the soda package.  We are not big alcohol drinkers...maybe one drink per day...so a package makes no sense for us.  So I just budget that we are going to spend $300 (or whatever based on the length of the cruise) on alcoholic beverages for the entire cruise, and I know that every time I have drink I am saving money compared to if we had purchased a beverage package.  Of course you will have to do the math yourself based on how many sodas you think you will drink everyday. 

Something to consider:  I don't know which ship you are on, but the Pinnacle ships (Kongingsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam) all have the Coke Freestyle machines.  They are usually working, and usually have several options for you like Sprite Zero, CF Diet Coke, Barq's Diet Root beer (which I believe is Caffeine Free, and some flavored waters that are usually sugar free.

You would need to get the Coke package (not the quench package), but it could be an option for you!

Unfortunately it is sometimes ship specific as to whether or not there is a large selection available.  When we were on the Koningsdam in Vancouver I asked for a gin with Sprite Zero.  They didn't have any Sprite Zero, but then I could hear the provisions being loaded onto the ship.  One option could be to wait until you board to purchase the soda card to ensure that the ship has what you want.  Just don't do like I did and wait for the ship to be provisioned before you ask.  

7 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

Am I incorrect reading that I am no longer allowed to bring a 12 pack of canned soda aboard? I only drink diet, non- caffeinated  sodas.

That's my dilemma, also.  I drink caffeine-free Coke (NOT diet, regular coke).  We always brought a 12 pack on of that for me to drink.  I hate (yes, I'm saying "hate") that HAL has changed that policy. 

Yes, you cannot bring sodas onboard now.  Although I've seen reports that people have be able to do so in a port stop, but not on embarkation.  

Soda cannot be brought aboard on embarkation in any form -- e.g., cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles?  What's the rationale for the new policy?  Is it only to enhance profit or is there some sort of safety-related concern?

10 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

No. The "zero" refers to sugar, not caffeine.

Thank you, I don't really take note of the differences. I just noticed what was available. I rarely drink pop (Canadian for sugary fizzy drinks) and when I do it is the original. I would much rather have water then diet pop. My wife is diabetic so she does ask for no sugar varieties when available.

50 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

Soda cannot be brought aboard on embarkation in any form -- e.g., cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles?  What's the rationale for the new policy?  Is it only to enhance profit or is there some sort of safety-related concern?

God forbid they seek to make a profit...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. . . .  However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom." 

Is carbonated/sparkling water considered "soda" (disallowed) or "water" (partly allowed)?

I'm pretty sure that if they don't want you bringing a $2.75 can of soda aboard they probably won't be at all interested in you bringing a $3.75 bottle of sparkling water aboard. Really by the time you hump all this stuff aboard have you saved what $5.00 total?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Really by the time you hump all this stuff aboard have you saved what $5.00 total?

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

God forbid they seek to make a profit...

Thanks for your replies.  But my concern is related to health, not financial, concerns:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pfas-chemicals-in-sparkling-water-polar-topo-chico-study/

I think the soda policy was put into effect in June, 2021. DH and I have sailed on the Rotterdam (4 times), the N. Statendam (2 times), and the N. Amsterdam (1 time) since 2021 and we have brought a carton of Coke in our carry on each time and never had it confiscated or even questioned when it went through the x-ray machines. We have seen people carrying cartons of soda on their person when boarding that was not confiscated.

I don't get it. I know what the policy says now so why haven't they confiscated our soda? We have a 12-day on the Rotterdam in a few days and plan to bring a carton of Coke in our carry on again. We'll see what happens. Push comes to shove if it confiscated we'll have our room steward load our mini-bar with Coke and take them from there - we are 4* Mariners and we get a 50% discount on mini-bar purchases. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pjwaz said:

I wonder why the soda display for the quench package on our cruise web page has a bottle of Heineken in it. My husband will be happy!

The Quench Package includes non-alcoholic beverages. That picture is of Heineken 0.0.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 6:48 AM, wannagonow123 said:

On the Koningsdam there was a beverage dispenser for the soda package. There were lots of choices from the Coca Cola company including Zero and caffein free. It comes with a special insulated cup and you can refill every hour. we did not find we used it as much as we thought. I found the $100 beverage card was just about the perfect amount for alcohol and specialty coffees on our 18 day cruise.