🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

13 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

That looked like a nice place in St. Critic.  Was the pizza any good it looked pretty decent.

Thanks

The pizza was excellent. Alfredo sauce with shrimp and crab meat. My 3 favorite things. I felt bad I couldn’t finish the whole thing.

IMG_2956.thumb.jpeg.7e5591524be0d23e7f43bc1003aac870.jpeg

IMG_2951.thumb.jpeg.48cafd6295c268dc81eee5a9cdc6c6de.jpeg

• Like 9

History of the Painkiller

Painkillers.thumb.jpeg.e2b8959ee8c74d05a940d53c88761ff7.jpeg

it's not just that it's de' best ... but there's only one place to get the original Painkiller!  Here's the real talk: the Painkiller was invented at the Soggy Dollar's Sandcastle Hotel in 1970 by George and Marie Myrick (founded and built Sandcastle on Jost Van Dyke).  Read the excerpt from George's book:

"By some delightful experimenting Marie and I came up with a very tasty rum drink. Our mix consisted of orange juice, pineapple juice and coconut cream. We added the coconut cream slowly until we said, “Wow, this is it!”  We sloshed it over some measured ounces of rum - Mount Gay or Cruzan Gold - dealer’s choice. Last, but not least, ground nutmeg was sprinkled on top. This, we decided, was a terrific house drink.  Marie named the drink the Painkiller after a local bush growing near the Gusset House (a noni plant).

Today, I’m told, you’re hard-pressed to find a bar in the Virgin Islands not offering some version of the Painkiller.  But it originated in the early seventies at Sandcastle by Marie."

From the “Incredible Virgin Island Adventure”  A True Story, by George F. Myrick

Page 129

More coming up. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

REWIND……

IMG_3055.thumb.jpeg.ca6f84d6dbea48432f25b65c9b109a89.jpeg

I forgot to review our dinner at Chops last night.

First if I made a mistake. I ate a pizza for lunch and then appetizers in the Diamond Lounge. Don’t do that if you are going to Chops in the evening.

I had heard mixed reviews about Chops on Adventure but this experience did not disappoint .

IMG_3054.thumb.jpeg.930d5b6655bc5f3c5238fe112104557c.jpeg

Chops feels like a New York Steakhouse so I had to have a Manhattan made with Templeton Rye.

IMG_3003.thumb.jpeg.6357d16d757294076fdad3b1dc61903a.jpeg

Appetizer was the Crab Cake served nice and hot

IMG_3004.thumb.jpeg.fff1ecc965cea57fbef0dd2ca17777c7.jpeg

Best salad on a Royal Caribbean ship. The crispy fried Goat Cheese Salad. Goat cheese was hot and I love the dressing.

IMG_3057.thumb.jpeg.22770bd39cf89db5bc486e5b299924d1.jpeg

IMG_3056.thumb.jpeg.c60f9173dd2e7eec7246e8b91c5976f0.jpeg

Ordered the 9 oz. Filet and it was perfectly cooked to my liking medium rare. Unfortunately I couldn’t finish it all because it was too big and I needed to leave room for dessert.

IMG_3059.thumb.jpeg.d643ae8361d71101882117d4d644adcd.jpeg

The only downside to Chops are their lackluster sides. We had asparagus, mashed potatoes and their cheese tater tots. They were all ok just nothing to write home about even though I am writing about them here. Mashed potatoes need to be garlic mashed. The Gruyère Tots just didn’t seem to do it for me. Maybe needed a different cheese.

IMG_3058.thumb.jpeg.9e66a326a958a98abf7083925e0c1113.jpeg

Warm molten Chocolate cake. Next to “The World” in Wonderland, “Hazelnut Chocolate Cake” second in Giovanni’s, this third place finish is still really good.

All in all a great meal I just wish I did not full so fast. I was tired, stuffed and ready to go to bed after a long day. I knew Soggy Day would be an early one. I finished a few edits and off to sleep I went or tried as you read above.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 19

Did you get any sleep last night Greg?  Seems like you were posting through most of the night.  I can't wait to read about your Soggy Dollar adventure.  Although expensive, I bet that the private boat ride will make the trip that much better.  I've got the webcam loaded up just waiting to see you guys arrive.  Have a great day!  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Did you get any sleep last night Greg?  Seems like you were posting through most of the night.  I can't wait to read about your Soggy Dollar adventure.  Although expensive, I bet that the private boat ride will make the trip that much better.  I've got the webcam loaded up just waiting to see you guys arrive.  Have a great day!  

I googled the Webcam but I don't get live pictures from anything I tried. Can you post the link?

• Like 2

@Sea Dog are you gonna shake off all that water after you swim ashore?  I can’t wait for Greg and crew to jump in.

For those that know, you know.  Jost is an amazing experience, no matter where you stop to enjoy. It's like being in a Kenny Chesney song.  

You have to try to get there once.  Once you go, you will want to go back.

IMG_2321_Original.thumb.jpg.15a9dc359aa908dc6c43663787a03ddf.jpg

IMG_2312_Original.thumb.jpg.f1d5050bb65318f6bd77c995cc3459dc.jpg

IMG_2314_Original.thumb.jpg.8e4e25a6133382ce464b6d274d7fcff7.jpg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 25

Ocean Boy to answer your question on Diamond lounge having the door at the back open so you can use the patio it has been locked on the last few cruises.  It used to be so windy in Diamond lounge when that door opened.

Seadog re the loosing the Diamond lounge we Diamond plus a few years ago lost the Concierge lounge and on the Quantum series of ships this lounge was beautiful.

All cruise lines are cutting and changing perks.

with Princess we lost our 250 minutes free internet

Our $100.00 OBC that came with our level

and now the pizza restaurant cost is $15.00 per pizza unless you have the drinking package

Sue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. That was what I had tried bit I wasn't getting the live feed before.🤔

It's "live" right now, but the embedded clock in the video says 7:45 when the EDT time here is 9:30.  I think it's an hour ahead of EDT, but things still don't line up to be truly live. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I did a very similar boat charter from St Thomas over to the BVIs and Jost van dyke back in 2017. Still the best excursion I have ever done and I need to get back there again! I managed to get some plastic cups from the soggy dollar back home but unfortunately they aren’t very durable and they cracked eventually. Just means I need to go back! Enjoy 😎

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

For those that know, you know.  Jost is an amazing experience, no matter where you stop to enjoy. It's like being in a Kenny Chesney song.  

Or a Zac Brown Band song...🎵 got my toes in the water, a$$ in the sand 🎵.  Life is definitely good today.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

Looks like the gang is enjoying some refreshments in the water.  I'm getting way too much vicarious enjoyment watching the webcam.  This must be what stalkers feel like. 🫣

I'm doing the same.  Looks like a gorgeous sunny day.

@Sea Dog Greg and friends, I hope Soggy Dollar meets or exceeds your expectations.

• Like 8