🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from SeaDog! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Sea Dog was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hello friends It’s time for another Sea Dog review and it's going to be live. This time we will be on Adventure of the Seas which has a special memory for Linda and I as it was our first Royal Caribbean ship and cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2017. We sailed from San Juan a week after Hurricane Maria. When we flew into the airport it had no air conditioning and was on emergency generators.

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.57f30acf834b79ac82f0f157a9af802f.JPG

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.21c3b375dc0aed681afeb8abc6939272.JPG

We celebrate our anniversary by always cruising in October around our date October 18th. 

IMG_2386.thumb.jpeg.4ea7469c3661d363b39d727471f5897c.jpeg

Note: Happy Anniversary to my dear wife today! This year the dates did not align as much as we wanted them to but boy the itinerary sure did. 

As with any Sea Dog review I love to tell stories and I love movies. So let's get this story started with a trailer. Let's hype this cruise up.

Our cruise is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean with one stop that I have been trying to book for over 5 years, Tortola. I had a cruise booked there in 2021 and you know what happened?…💥 boom…..a pandemic….all cruises cancelled. I was heartbroken. Fast forward and now I have this one booked. I have always wanted to visit the BVI with its beautiful islands, crystal clear water and white sandy beaches. While in Tortola what better way to see all these things than take an excursion to Jost Van Dyke and White Bay home of the famous beach bar The Soggy Dollar. More about that later as it it took a very unexpected turn.

IMG_1146.thumb.JPG.8d66d0e116a5d7e9c1b786f15be8d51c.JPG

So who’s with me? My lovely wife Linda, Mrs. Sea Dog and some dear Cruise Critic friends, some of which were on the infamous "Bella Cruise" that was so "EPIC," including @jmh2006, Jennifer and Dave, @Husky1987, Larry and Andi, @Momof3gurlz Deb and Andy and @Mo&Fran, Francis and his wife who are doing B2B2B and have already been on board for week, will be along for the fun. This is a great group and we enjoy being together for fun and cruising. We just turned Diamond on our last cruise in March so I will be excited to visit the Diamond Club for Happy Hour (** if we are now still allowed) and take advantage of some of the perks even though we always buy the drink package. We also purchased a 3 night dining package.

So permission is granted for you to come aboard. Join us and as always Cheers!

• Like 56
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Congrats on 20 years!  Enjoy!

Actually it's our 26th. Our 20th was back in 2017 on our first Royal Caribbean sailing on Adventure.

1 minute ago, jmh2006 said:

Happy Anniversary Greg and Linda!!!  WE cannot wait to be on board with you and the others!  Our 32nd anniversary is 10/26!

I think a celebratory glass of champagne and a toast will be on order when I see you onboard.

• Like 5

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Actually it's our 26th. Our 20th was back in 2017 on our first Royal Caribbean sailing on Adventure.

I think a celebratory glass of champagne and a toast will be on order when I see you onboard.

Sorry, I missed that.  Happy 26th!

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary Greg and Linda.  Great month for it, our 36th is next week doing a short land trip.  Will be following along as we have time.  Hoping your forecasted weather is better than they saying.  Safe travels!

• Like 3

I made a itinerary video of our travels. Take a look to see where we are going.

Itinerary consists of:

Adventure of the Seas leaving Fort Lauderdale 

Day 1 Sat. Ft. Lauderdale Departs 4pm

Day 2 Sun. Cruising

Day 3 Mon. Cruising

Day 4 Tues. St. Croix, USVI 8am-5pm  Excursion: Buccaneer Beach Resort Break   

Day 5 Wed. Tortola BVI 7am-3pm   Excursion: Escape to Jost Van Dyke

Day 6 Thurs. Cruising Day 7 Fri. Perfect Day 10am-5pm   Excursion: Coco Cay Beach Club 

Day 8 Sat. Ft. Lauderdale Arrive 7am

For me this is perfect. I love sea days. It combines the right amount of ports and cruising and makes for a very relaxing time. And I need to relax for what’s in store for me. Because right after I get back I’m to have another total knee replacement. 

IMG_7883.thumb.jpeg.fe1a5721f12b9bf8b05a8b9239831dd1.jpeg

IMG_7973.thumb.jpeg.a5bdd0c03f08778ed8e32b33b6547bf6.jpeg

I had my right knee done in 2021 it was not fun to say the least. I tried to kick the can down the road with injections on my left knee but a recent MRI showed, torn meniscus, torn ACL, severe arthritis, bone spurs and a baker’s cyst. The knee is toast. Hopefully after receiving a gel injection a month ago it will give me relief through this cruise. Fingers are crossed.

AdvDec-88512-1561822290.jpg.5767d412313952a1977cdd442981a854.jpg

I’m sorry for anyone who wanted me to play basketball on the sports deck. I do my best dribbling out of the side of my mouth.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Happy Anniversary Greg and Linda.  Great month for it, our 36th is next week doing a short land trip.  Will be following along as we have time.  Hoping your forecasted weather is better than they saying.  Safe travels!

Who would of thought my title would have a double meaning? My title references the fact that when you go to the Soggy Dollar in White Bay, there is no dock and the boats drop you off into the water and you wade to shore, hence the "Soggy Dollar." 

VEJGTZZJTRBSPKMHATQGZU4SOE.thumb.png.5d76607e124e666616c5576e86f74c0c.png

Now we must look at "Invest 95-L. It looks like we will get wet. The models are showing more of a storm and rain event and not a hurricane. Hopefully it will move past us by the time we get down there.

Either way We will make the best of it. After all it is the Caribbean in October. I look at it this way, Well, isn't rain just nature's way of giving us an extra sprinkling of adventure on our vacation? Who needs sunshine all the time when you can have a dance in the rain instead? It's like a spontaneous water park, but without the lines! 

• Like 17

Off to the bank to get that much needed extra tip money. We always pay for prepaid gratuities but I do like to take care of my bartenders, cabin stewards and wait staff. Plus anyone else who goes above and beyond.

I'll check back in an hour. 

Cheers, more posts to come.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Can’t wait to join you onboard!  

For those who may have missed, on here a few months back we realized that Greg’s lovely wife and I were in the same law school class and graduated together in 1990. Can’t wait to share bourbon stories with Greg and law school horror stories with Linda!

Adventure has always been my favorite ship.  We love new islands and have never been to Tortola or St Croix. 

My much better half (I totally out kicked my coverage) and I got ready for this rock and roll Adventure by going to Guns N Roses last Saturday night.  We’ll be flying from Seattle into FLL Friday. Let’s get the party get started!

IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.fdb708f31ba277deb968b20e78a76144.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Hello friends It’s time for another Sea Dog review and it's going to be live. This time we will be on Adventure of the Seas which has a special memory for Linda and I as it was our first Royal Caribbean ship and cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2017. We sailed from San Juan a week after Hurricane Maria. When we flew into the airport it had no air conditioning and was on emergency generators.

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.57f30acf834b79ac82f0f157a9af802f.JPG

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.21c3b375dc0aed681afeb8abc6939272.JPG

We celebrate our anniversary by always cruising in October around our date October 18th. 

IMG_2386.thumb.jpeg.4ea7469c3661d363b39d727471f5897c.jpeg

Note: Happy Anniversary to my dear wife today! This year the dates did not align as much as we wanted them to but boy the itinerary sure did. 

As with any Sea Dog review I love to tell stories and I love movies. So let's get this story started with a trailer. Let's hype this cruise up.

Our cruise is a 7 night Eastern Caribbean with one stop that I have been trying to book for over 5 years, Tortola. I had a cruise booked there in 2021 and you know what happened?…💥 boom…..a pandemic….all cruises cancelled. I was heartbroken. Fast forward and now I have this one booked. I have always wanted to visit the BVI with its beautiful islands, crystal clear water and white sandy beaches. While in Tortola what better way to see all these things than take an excursion to Jost Van Dyke and White Bay home of the famous beach bar The Soggy Dollar. More about that later as it it took a very unexpected turn.

IMG_1146.thumb.JPG.8d66d0e116a5d7e9c1b786f15be8d51c.JPG

So who’s with me? My lovely wife Linda, Mrs. Sea Dog and some dear Cruise Critic friends, some of which were on the infamous "Bella Cruise" that was so "EPIC," including @jmh2006, Jennifer and Dave, @Husky1987, Larry and Andi, @Momof3gurlz Deb and Andy and @Mo&Fran, Francis and his wife who are doing B2B2B and have already been on board for week, will be along for the fun. This is a great group and we enjoy being together for fun and cruising. We just turned Diamond on our last cruise in March so I will be excited to visit the Diamond Club for Happy Hour (** if we are now still allowed) and take advantage of some of the perks even though we always buy the drink package. We also purchased a 3 night dining package.

So permission is granted for you to come aboard. Join us and as always Cheers!

Great stuff!  I can't wait to follow along.  

We're on Adventure in February.  It'll great to see a few pics in advance of that,

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2