Favorite Holland America desserts

MaiTaiMary

7 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I think the poster was responding to my (incorrect) naming of the giant cream puff.

Still not sure what it is called, but you can just point.

Bossche Bollen which my mother referred to as a Suzie.  She made the pastry with whipping cream in the middle and chocolate on the top.  

• Like 2

re: the bossche bollen, in my head I was thinking bocce ball because it’s the size of one - but I guess that would be Italian, not Dutch. It is something you MUST try at the Dutch cafe.  (no charge).  It’s really good!  I would suggest splitting it because even though I have a huge sweet tooth, it was too much for me (ok, I did force myself to finish it, though). 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RAS4331 said:

re: the bossche bollen, in my head I was thinking bocce ball because it’s the size of one - but I guess that would be Italian, not Dutch. It is something you MUST try at the Dutch cafe.  (no charge).  It’s really good!  I would suggest splitting it because even though I have a huge sweet tooth, it was too much for me (ok, I did force myself to finish it, though). 😁

Is this available at another location for the ships without the Dutch cafe?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:38 AM, sandiego1 said:

Here’s my list:

Favorites;

Chocolate delight (round chocolate on cracker, like fudge)

Chocolate cake with carmelized popcorn 

Chocolate soufflé 

Flourless chocolate cake

Double chocolate tart

Chocolate raspberry tart

Maybe:

Chocolate brownie stack

Chocolate Paris Brest (good choc mousse, bad crust)

I sense a pattern... 🍫🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2023 at 8:51 AM, OlsSalt said:

Back in the days when they had free after dinner chocolate candies in the Explorers Lounge when a classical ensemble was playing,  along with a variety of liquors available for fancy coffees drinks.  (Those were not free)`

Back in the days, they also had chocolate covered strawberries in the Explorers Lounge Cafe. And macaroons, too.  Nothing much there now.

• Like 1

I give my vote to the bread pudding.

In the Lido I also like to have a bowl of fresh cut fruit (melon etc) which I take to the ice cream station to add soft serve and sprinkles.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I haven't see it offered in years, but the best dessert I have ever had in my (long-ish) life was the Chocolate Purse that HAL served. 

Those were popular quite a few years back, it has been a few decades since they disappeared from menus.  There were yummy.  My father and I used to share one as an entree while others at a real meal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/22/2023 at 11:38 PM, syesmar said:

…I want to recall there being a similar-but-not-identical chocolate cake in the Lido that is only served once or twice per cruise? Does anyone know the name?…

On 10/25/2023 at 8:48 AM, SFO Peter said:

Sachertorte when they have it.   Sometimes they give it to you on your birthday.…

@SFO Peter Yes!!! That’s the name of the chocolate cake I was asking about earlier. So delicious!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, syesmar said:

@SFO Peter Yes!!! That’s the name of the chocolate cake I was asking about earlier. So delicious!!!

Long. long  time ago, Holiday Magazine had an article about the best  pastries in  Vienna - it was a draw between Demel and Hotel Cafe Sacher, featuring their Sacher Torte at that time. 

Demel: https://www.demel.com

Cafe Sacher: https://www.sacher.com/en/vienna/restaurants/

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3

HAL used to serve a large hot fudge sundae at lunch in the MDR on embarkation day with premium vanilla ice cream, rich whipped cream, and delectable hot fudge sauce. I think there were nuts sprinkled on top, too. It had a fancy wafer cookie. I looked forward to it.

Seems as though it was post-pandemic when the HFS appeared as a dinner desert with medium-sized chunks of marshmallows infiltrating the ice cream. (Not a good situation, IMHO.)

The latest version, served on Zaandam in September, had ditched the marshmallows but wasn’t quite up to the former standard. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

HAL used to serve a large hot fudge sundae at lunch in the MDR on embarkation day with premium vanilla ice cream, rich whipped cream, and delectable hot fudge sauce. I think there were nuts sprinkled on top, too. It had a fancy wafer cookie. I looked forward to it.

Seems as though it was post-pandemic when the HFS appeared as a dinner desert with medium-sized chunks of marshmallows infiltrating the ice cream. (Not a good situation, IMHO.)

The latest version, served on Zaandam in September, had ditched the marshmallows but wasn’t quite up to the former standard. 

The marshmallows put me off from ever ordering it.  I just tried it recently, sans  marshmallows, and it was pretty good. Whipped cream would be optimal. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 3:42 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Someone mentioned only served on Saturday, that is not true. It is only on Embarkation Day, my last 4 Embarkation Days were Sunday. But I have also embarked on Wednesday Volendam s verbal years ago and that was my first time to have the Peanut Butter Pie and the Hotel Manager told me that was only prepared for embarkation.

Recently disembarked a 3 week cruise where it was served every Saturday, none of which were embarkation day. As with many HAL idiosyncrasies, this clearly differs from ship to ship. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 12:21 PM, OlsSalt said:

…Long. long  time ago, Holiday Magazine had an article about the best  pastries in  Vienna - it was a draw between Demel and Hotel Cafe Sacher, featuring their Sacher Torte at that time…

@OlsSalt thank you for the info! Sounds delicious!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...