Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

9 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Exactly!

Some of the cruisers seem to think the way I dress impacts them for some bizarre reason :).

You find the differing visual sensitivities of others to be 'bizarre'.  I certainly don't find your position to be so, even though I don't react the same to the same visual stimulus.  I wouldn't be rude enough to call it that, even if that was how I felt.

The fact that you find it 'bizarre' rather emphasizes my original point.  For some others, it clearly is not, and that's the reason that these threads will go on forever. 

• Like 2

Clearly, we've reached the tantrum stage of "I don't  wanna do it, and you can't make me."  If I can recall that far back, this thread started with a valid comment about not wanting to get dolled up for dinner after a hot and sweaty shore excursion.  Sheesh.  Time to take a deep breath, maybe, and think about more consequential things ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

Clearly, we've reached the tantrum stage of "I don't  wanna do it, and you can't make me."  If I can recall that far back, this thread started with a valid comment about not wanting to get dolled up for dinner after a hot and sweaty shore excursion.  Sheesh.  Time to take a deep breath, maybe, and think about more consequential things ...

I beg to differ. The argument I’m making is simply: “I will meet the minimum required of dress code, as written.”

The counter argument is a pearl-clutching: “You offend me by being comfortable!”.

This whole thread is neither here nor there. All that Matters is the official policy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

(This is the official policy:

Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal.

On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate.
On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional).
On formal nights, appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress, gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrezza and choose to dress informally; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights.)

I would contend that that is somewhat meaningless - unless it is perfectly acceptable for a "gentleman" on an informal evening to just wear a jacket, and optionally a tie!

19 minutes ago, david63 said:

I would contend that that is somewhat meaningless - unless it is perfectly acceptable for a "gentleman" on an informal evening to just wear a jacket, and optionally a tie!

Bottomless options to adhere to the dress code. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, david63 said:

Good job the tie is optional as I’d imagine a polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt combo would like quite ridiculous, But whatever I guess! 😀

• Haha 1

Way back when, at my college commencement exercises, the requested dress code for women was listed as "heels and hose."  Some of us thought it might be interesting to show up wearing only those items.  We'd be complying, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

Way back when, at my college commencement exercises, the requested dress code for women was listed as "heels and hose."  Some of us thought it might be interesting to show up wearing only those items.  We'd be complying, right?

Perfect ensemble for a 'Bliss' cruise!  But I don't think SS accepts those charters. 😏

35 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

Yes, and I imagine there would have been plenty of gentlemen who would have agreed.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:58 PM, Lookingtocruise42 said:

I beg to differ. The argument I’m making is simply: “I will meet the minimum required of dress code, as written.”

The counter argument is a pearl-clutching: “You offend me by being comfortable!”.

This whole thread is neither here nor there. All that Matters is the official policy.

This is a great summary of the two “sides” of this coin

Been a good read this thread. I don't even pack socks, only sandals, I don't even own a tie, and I have not even brought long pants on my last 2 cruises. To each their own. I also don't even try to enter the Dining Room for evening meals, knowing better per rules. Your vacation, relax how you want, but rules are rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarlK said:

Been a good read this thread. I don't even pack socks, only sandals, I don't even own a tie, and I have not even brought long pants on my last 2 cruises. To each their own. I also don't even try to enter the Dining Room for evening meals, knowing better per rules. Your vacation, relax how you want, but rules are rules.

Hi, just curious really. Where do you dine in the evening?

1 hour ago, KarlK said:

Hope you try Sea Dream yacht Club. We just disembarked this morning and your dress preference is exactly their code - it was FABULOUS. Never treated as a second class citizen based on appearance. People in long dresses sitting next to someone in shorts. The conversation and scenery were the focal points. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

But please, never wear socks with sandals.  Not a good look.

We used to do it all the time. White open neck shirt, white shorts, white socks and sandals. Part of a tropical uniform. 🤭

Much more practical and comfortable when you consider black shoes as the only other option!

Edited by MBP&O2/O

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Hope you try Sea Dream yacht Club. We just disembarked this morning and your dress preference is exactly their code - it was FABULOUS. Never treated as a second class citizen based on appearance. People in long dresses sitting next to someone in shorts. The conversation and scenery were the focal points. 

A question about Sea Dream which was in Lisbon when I was there last month. The yacht didn't seem to have a lot of balcony space. Do all the suites have balconies?

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, just curious really. Where do you dine in the evening?

Where ever I find it, sometimes just a pizza. Rarely MDR. usually takes longer to get seated and wait for the waiter at the MDR than to grab a beer and a pizza

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We used to do it all the time. White open neck shirt, white shorts, white socks and sandals. Part of a tropical uniform. 🤭

Much more practical and comfortable when you consider black shoes as the only other option!

Black shoes and white socks -------------my eyes, my eyes!!!  Unless of course one is in Bermuda shorts or wearing a kilt.  I love a man in a kilt and don't care what they have on their feet.

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Please bear in mind that some people have problems with their feet and cannot wear any footwear without socks.

I understand and was just being silly.  If people wear socks with sandals, I really don't mind at all.  I'll just snicker and point............................not really, not really, just joking!

13 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

Black shoes and white socks -------------my eyes, my eyes!!!  Unless of course one is in Bermuda shorts or wearing a kilt.  I love a man in a kilt and don't care what they have on their feet.

Too busy imaging what they're not wearing under the kilt???  🤣