Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

On 10/26/2023 at 12:53 AM, ggo85 said:

Tomorrow, we’re in port.  I’m on an 11-hour ship’s tour, getting back to the ship at 7:30 pm. We don’t leave port until 11 pm. Dinner dress is informal. Seriously?  If it were casual, I could do a 15-minute freshen up and get to dinner before 8. Informal means completely different clothes, doing hair, makeup.  I don’t want to start dinner at 9 pm ever, let alone after a long, exhausting day of touring.  

Back to the original thread topic:  I'm currently on the Silver Moon.  As a result of the itinerary changes replacing the Egypt ports, we spent two days in Rhodes (Dec 27 & Dec 28).  The dress code published when we boarded indicated the 27th would be Casual & the 28th would be Informal.  When we received our 'Chronicles' for Dec 28th, the dress code had been changed to Casual.  (I was one of the VERY FEW people who noticed.)  

The Hotel Director stopped by to chat with our Solo Travelers group the evening of 12/28, and I asked about the change.  She said that she personally made the decision to change the dress code from Informal to Casual because of the two days in port and our late departure time (6pm).  I asked if she was planning on making the same the change for Jeddah, which has exactly the same schedule.  She said she would NOT be making changes (which doesn't make sense - so we shall see).  I mentioned there was a great deal of online discussion, debate (and controversy) over the dress code.  She said Silversea is very aware of the various opinions.  I think the message ggo85 was sending in this post has been received (at least by this Hotel Director).

My only issue is that I packed for 4 Casual and 8 Informal nights.  If two of the Informal nights are changed to Casual, I really wish I'd brought one more sweater and one less dress. 👗

• Like 2

16 hours ago, temerarious said:

Back to the original thread topic:  I'm currently on the Silver Moon.  As a result of the itinerary changes replacing the Egypt ports, we spent two days in Rhodes (Dec 27 & Dec 28).  The dress code published when we boarded indicated the 27th would be Casual & the 28th would be Informal.  When we received our 'Chronicles' for Dec 28th, the dress code had been changed to Casual.  (I was one of the VERY FEW people who noticed.)  

The Hotel Director stopped by to chat with our Solo Travelers group the evening of 12/28, and I asked about the change.  She said that she personally made the decision to change the dress code from Informal to Casual because of the two days in port and our late departure time (6pm).  I asked if she was planning on making the same the change for Jeddah, which has exactly the same schedule.  She said she would NOT be making changes (which doesn't make sense - so we shall see).  I mentioned there was a great deal of online discussion, debate (and controversy) over the dress code.  She said Silversea is very aware of the various opinions.  I think the message ggo85 was sending in this post has been received (at least by this Hotel Director).

My only issue is that I packed for 4 Casual and 8 Informal nights.  If two of the Informal nights are changed to Casual, I really wish I'd brought one more sweater and one less dress. 👗

No one cares what you are wearing-- it is nice.that you care.  My guess because you care you will look nice in whatever you wear--- even if you wear it a second time .

• Like 1

Lots of diverse opinions in this thread.  We typically sail Celebrity or Azamara and even though they have gone away from requiring formal attire even on formal nights, I still wear nice slacks, dress shoes and a button down shirt to dinner on formal nights.  I would say on those cruises less than half dress up.  I am glad those that want to dress up can and enjoy the night.  I also am glad that those who don't still wear nice clothes I would categorize as Business Casual (Not jeans or T-shirts) on formal night.

I booked this cruise on Silversea aware of the formal attire requirement on the Spirit.  It was the best cruise to see all of Iceland is why I selected it.    That was my criteria for the selection to ensure we got the best destination experience 

From what I understand, I can wear nice slacks, button down shirt and a light weight blazer and be in compliance.  I saw the recommendation for the Eddie Baur travel Blazer.

If they change the dress code then I will skip the blazer and wear what I do on Celebrity, if not I will wear the blazer and maybe pack a tie just in case.  For me formal nights only difference would be the blazer.  

I do prefer to be more comfortable and not wear a suit and tie.  I wore enough of those while working, but I will make sure I am compliant with the rules, just leaning towards minimally compliant for formal night  🙂  

I recognize everyone is different and I try and do what I want (in compliance) while trying to be considerate of others.

Edited by Dirk_Pitt
  • Like 3

On 12/27/2023 at 9:49 AM, Carolfay said:

Way back when, at my college commencement exercises, the requested dress code for women was listed as "heels and hose."  Some of us thought it might be interesting to show up wearing only those items.  We'd be complying, right?

At my undergraduate institution (women only) we had a tradition of the seniors getting their graduation robes in August, and wearing them to commencement.  Underneath, we all wore whatever our version of "lingerie" might be and then went down to the lake, doffed our robes, and jumped in the water in our unmentionables.  

Well Silversea has a dress code a lot more sensible than some. The Inside Chess F

ed has fined a woman player for wea

sports shoes in an international chess tournament. She was wearing Burberry sneakers.

Unlike the SilverSea dress code that is truly nonsensical.

So when do you think SS will change the dress code of the rest of the fleet to that of the Silver Nova?

I say March 1

And it reminds me of when my Grandmother said to me "If I die".

It's going to happen eventually.

10 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

❤️

Agree... I don't own "a" little black dress... probably 10 of them... but point well taken! 

LOL.😃10? Thanks for making me smile this morning......my closets have 0 dresses......red, black,  pick a color.....I am not a "dress" gal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

LOL.😃10? Thanks for making me smile this morning......my closets have 0 dresses......red, black,  pick a color.....I am not a "dress" gal.

That made me laugh too.  Like you I wear trousers and possibly a long skirt on formal evenings though often trousers then too.

However I have just had my comeuppance.  My leg is much worse and cannot bear the pull of trousers on the side of my leg when sitting and my daughter went out yesterday and bought me three skirts.   I feel somewhat underdressed now.

The really bad news however, is that we have had to cancel our spring cruise on Spirit.

I think I started this topic again with my blue blazer comment. , it rears up every few months or so, I usually don't stick my 2 cents in but I will here.  I am very much in favor of the aspect of the dress code that requires men to wear a jacket in the main dining room.  One of the main reasons I travel SS is their ships seem so civilized and civilization is so lacking these days in most places. The same reason I don't travel Carnival or those other party barges.   SS is like a small fantasy world, elegant. I don't want it ruined by somebody in a sleeveless shirt and cargos shorts, sitting with a can of Bud being loud at the table next to me in the MDR.  

I go farther than that.  I like formal nights, they are one of the few times each year I get to play dress up, I go all the way with pleated shirt, stripped pants, patent leather shoes, studs, bow tie etc. One restriction to this was luggage space, but since I resolved 2 years ago never to fly economy again, the carriers are much more liberal with poundage so I can pack all in 2 bags even for 30+day cruises.  

I don' think there is a great divide, yet, among Silversea passengers, most of whom favor some sort of dress code, nor do I think there will be..  Let us hope, or we may reach to the point where SS is running spring break cruises out of Miami with 500 drunk college kids.   😃 

Edited by chrism23
typo
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

I think I started this topic again with my blue blazer comment. , it rears up every few months or so, I usually don't stick my 2 cents in but I will here.  I am very much in favor of the aspect of the dress code that requires men to wear a jacket in the main dining room.  One of the main reasons I travel SS is their ships seem so civilized and civilization is so lacking these days in most places. The same reason I don't travel Carnival or those other party barges.   SS is like a small fantasy world, elegant. I don't want it ruined by somebody in a sleeveless shirt and cargos shorts, sitting with a can of Bud being loud at the table next to me in the MDR.  

I go farther than that.  I like formal nights, they are one of the few times each year I get to play dress up, I go all the way with pleated shirt, stripped pants, patent leather shoes, studs, bow tie etc. One restriction to this was luggage space, but since I resolved 2 years ago never to fly economy again, the carriers are much more liberal with poundage so I can pack all in 2 bags even for 30+day cruises.  

I don' think there is a great divide, yet, among Silversea passengers, most of whom favor some sort of dress code, nor do I think there will be..  Let us hope, or we may reach to the point where SS is running spring break cruises out of Miami with 500 drunk college kids.   😃 

Couldn't agree more.. 👍🥂

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, canderson said:

Perfect ensemble for a 'Bliss' cruise!  But I don't think SS accepts those charters. 😏

Oh, I saw pictures on another site of a charter voyage on the Spirit last March with “interesting” passenger attire (example - jacket with epaulets, collar and bow tie - paired with no shirt and gold lame bathing suit bottom)…

1 hour ago, chrism23 said:

I don't want it ruined by somebody in a sleeveless shirt and cargos shorts, sitting with a can of Bud being loud at the table next to me in the MDR.  

You seem to be confusing attire and behavior. What someone wears does not guarantee behavior or class. 

SSea dress code on Nova allows for you to continue to dress to the nines while giving others the option to dress to their satisfaction as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

You seem to be confusing attire and behavior. What someone wears does not guarantee behavior or class. 

SSea dress code on Nova allows for you to continue to dress to the nines while giving others the option to dress to their satisfaction as well. 

Correct, and still look neat and presentable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Oh, I saw pictures on another site of a charter voyage on the Spirit last March with “interesting” passenger attire (example - jacket with epaulets, collar and bow tie - paired with no shirt and gold lame bathing suit bottom)…

Not many guesses needed to decide what type of charter that was.

31 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Not many guesses needed to decide what type of charter that was.

No guesses needed to discern what was beneath those gold thongs either! 😂

Edited by Dolcevita Diva