Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

47 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I love porridge but with syrup or sugar , I know very bad in the eyes of the Scottish 😬 my husband is Scottish and he has salt in it !! The proper way he says but it’s awful like that 🤮

I have it with honey, walnuts and raisins. I'm sure they serve it like that in Scotland.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

I love porridge but with syrup or sugar , I know very bad in the eyes of the Scottish 😬 my husband is Scottish and he has salt in it !! The proper way he says but it’s awful like that 🤮

When I was a wee boy my gran always served porridge with salt on it, she insisted it was the only way to have porridge. I grew up liking it that way.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Plugtheleak said:

Selbourne as a matter of interest how many formal night are planned for your cruise. Last week N331 was 1 week and we expected 2 but only ended up with 1. Not sure if this was due to it being half term cruise with a huge amount of kids on board? Just wondered if the rest of the fleet might be reducing formal nights following in Iona?

Four over 2 weeks

• Thanks 1

DAY 1 (Continued) - After departure

After departure we just chilled in the cabin until dinner. Having had a few glasses of wine with lunch we didn’t feel like a pre-dinner drink. It was also surprisingly bumpy, even by the time that we were passing the Isle of Wight. 

As is often the case, we have a few maintenance issues with our cabin. I’m always at a loss as to why people don’t report these, as I have always found the ship’s maintenance teams to be absolutely brilliant. The basin isn’t draining well and there’s a slight smell. Also, even with both air con controls switched to the coldest setting the cabin still isn’t cool. Lady S usually complains when I start to move the control down much beyond half way, but even she admitted it could do with being cooler. I phoned reception and said that neither of the issues were urgent and they could wait until tomorrow, but just as we were leaving for dinner a plumber arrived. The sink’s still not draining too well but the smell has gone. 

Dinner in the Bay Tree MDR was very enjoyable, if a little bumpy. Our waiters (Alois and Khan) seem to be excellent. Very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. They even said that if we didn’t fancy anything on the menu they could get us other things. No idea what, as we were both happy with the menu. The supplementary (extra cost) menu was not offered. I’ll ask about that the first night that I don’t fancy anything. Also, they are not holding unfinished bottles of wine, even in Club dining. Odd how this varies by ship.  

I was a bit disappointed with my starter, simply because it was one of those dishes where what you end up with is completely different to what you expect. I had ordered Asparagus with devilled egg. I expected warm whole asparagus spears with a warm egg. What turned up was tiny slices of cold asparagus with a cold hard boiled egg. I had to laugh that one end of the egg had been sliced off so that it could be stood on the plate and wouldn’t roll off 😂 

We both had a roast for main - my wife had the pork and I had lamb. Both very good. My lamb was cooked more than I’d like, but I don’t expect it cooked to order in a mass dining MDR. Alois very kindly cut my wife’s pork up before serving it to her. For dessert my wife had cheese (well, 3 wafer thin pieces - which was fine for her) and I had the dark chocolate with olive oil marquise with orange sorbet. I don’t like dark chocolate or olive oil, so it it just goes to show that it’s always worth trying things as I really enjoyed it! I washed it all down with a couple of glasses of wine, which I didn’t really need but enjoyed none the less. I think we may struggle to spend our OBC on this cruise if we don’t indulge 😂 

The section of the MDR that we were in has 28 covers and only 13 were dining, so it was nice and quiet. One lady suddenly seemed to be a little unwell and an attentive restaurant manager appeared with a sick bag. At the risk of sounding completely unsympathetic, I was willing her to leave the restaurant if she was going to be sick, as I couldn’t stomach that whilst eating in a restaurant with rough seas. Lady S, who can read my thoughts, gave me one of her looks 😂 Thankfully the lady recovered without recourse to the sick bag. All in all a very successful and enjoyable first night in the MDR. Having not used Club dining for over 10 years we were reminded about the positive aspects of it. 

Neither of us particularly fancied the show (3 male singers) and my wife was tired having got up so early, so I took her back to the cabin and then I did a late night walk with a few laps of the promenade deck and a circuit of the (deserted) top deck. So, all in all, a very enjoyable and successful first day. 

Note - I have just purchased 24 hours basic WiFi (for the first time ever), primarily as a trial for our 65 night cruise on Aurora - hence this being my first update since departure. I’ve already written day 2 but will post later once I’ve had chance to catch up on emails and messaging home etc. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

If you had roast lamb and roast pork, that's the identical menu that was on Aurora the first night.  OK if you like roasts!!!

Not surprised it's bumpy, there's another storm coming on Thursday.

Good job we both like roasts! Hoping we will be south of the next storm by then. It’s still extremely rough as I type, 48 hours in 🤢

• Like 6

I hope it starts to get smoother for you selbourne and like you we enjoy roast dinners and usually can’t wait to get home to have one because they didn’t have them too much before but now do , I remember being on Ventura the very first storm she experienced at gale force 10 and coffee machines falling of the surfaces and the gym ceiling falling in, not much fun for my 13 year old son who stayed in bed for 2 days . Hope it gets better soon for you all .

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Good job we both like roasts! Hoping we will be south of the next storm by then. It’s still extremely rough as I type, 48 hours in 🤢

Looks from the pressure charts that you should be out of it soon.  You are in the bottom bit of the nasty low that's been affecting us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

DAY 2 - Sunday 29th Oct (Sea Day)

We had a poor nights sleep due to the rough seas. Our cabin creaks and groans very loudly in multiple places. Usually I do a bit of investigating and find the source of the noise and stuff some toilet tissue in to suppress it, but this is way beyond that. There is extensive wooden coving around the tops of all the walls and this seems to creak loudly where it meets the metal ceilings and moves against it. I can’t imagine that the maintenance guys can do anything about it, so I fear we will have this racket until the sea calms down. 

I did a few laps of the promenade deck before breakfast and also went up to deck 16 as we have members of ORCA aboard doing whale and dolphin watches (as well as talks). We enjoyed that on our USA & Canada cruise (when several ORCA members were also on board). The lady reported that she’d seen some common dolphins but that it was far too rough to see anything else. 

The only MDR advertised as open for breakfast is Saffron, but we’d been given a hot tip that Bay Tree also opens and as it’s not advertised it’s much quieter. So that’s where we went. Unfortunately, as it’s an aft restaurant, there was considerable movement in there and within a short period my wife announced that she felt unwell, so I had to get her to the bathroom quickly. We returned to the table for breakfast (we had managed to get the table we have for dinner) but my wife ate just one mouthful and a dry slice of toast. 

After breakfast we did a lap of the promenade deck which was, shall we say, bracing 😂. It’s really nice being back on a ship with a proper covered promenade deck that you can use in all weathers. On our two previous P&O cruises this summer we either had no promenade deck at all (Britannia) or a completely exposed one (Iona). One thing that baffles me on Ventura (and seems illogical) is that in this rough weather the forward and midships exits to the port side of the promenade deck are closed, yet if you go out on the Starboard side you can walk all the way around (apart from the raised front section), including the full length of the the port side of the promenade deck 🤔

When we went back inside we decided to have a meander through the inside public areas on the lower decks. We first wandered into Havana, being unaware that a Sunday religious service was being held. Neither of us has a religious bone in our bodies, but a bit of me wished that we’d stayed, as there was a pianist present whose playing style was pure Les Dawson (for those old enough to remember). The bum notes were every bit as frequent and almost had the same comedic timing. Problem is I’d have had death stares from my wife,  as I would have lost it and it would not have been the time nor the place. I really hope that we come across this pianist again though, as he or she beats many of the comedians we’ve had on board previous cruises 😂 

After a bit of a hunt we discovered where the Britain Today papers are placed. Not at reception (like on Britannia), nor the coffee shop (like on Iona). On Ventura they are in the library. Forgot to say that we paid a visit to the Library yesterday. It’s very small and not well stocked. Ten times better than the pathetic effort on Iona but not a patch on the excellent library on Britannia. My wife was still feeling a bit out of sorts, so we went back to our cabin. Our steward was still working on it, but invited us in and we sat in the lounge area whilst he finished. Have to say he seems excellent. Very thorough, although he was struggling to do his job as the ship was moving around so much. I tried to watch the news but struggled to hear it over all the creaking noises in the cabin (yes it really is that bad - I have recorded a short clip of it which I shall post when I can so that you know I’m not exaggerating 😂)! I am feeling OK thanks to Stugeron. BTW many thanks for the advice of those on Saturday who advised me to buy some Avomine from reception, which I did whilst they still had some. I’ve never used it before but we only have enough Stugeron to last another couple of days and the sea seems to be getting even worse. I’m glad that our daughters and partners aren’t with us. Some of them thought that Iona was moving around when we couldn’t feel the slightest thing, but there’s no denying that we are in rough seas now.

Talking of Iona, I’m pleased to report that the lifts seem bigger on Ventura (in spite of having around half the passengers) and normal lift etiquette is adhered to on here, so we’ve had none of the lift issues that we experienced on Iona. Fingers crossed that continues. There are a lot more kids on board than we expected, considering that any school age kids will be skipping school for at least one of the two weeks. 

The first officer made the noon announcement and is clearly a well read fellow as we had countless Greek and Shakespearean quotes (all of which went above my head) but the gist of it was that we have just entered the Bay of Biscay and it is throwing it’s worst at us. We already knew that, but at least he was admitting that it was rough, as they often talk it down as being “a bit of movement” 😂 

As my wife hadn’t really eaten any breakfast we decided to go for lunch in Saffron. We were told that if we wanted a table for 2 we’d have to take a pager, which we did. I asked how long we could expect to wait and was told around 30 minutes. Annoyingly, there is nowhere to sit and wait near the MDR on deck 6 so we had to get a lift up to deck 7. We grabbed some seats and I ordered a glass of wine. The couple sat next to us said that they’d been on Ventura last year and the ship had been using virtual queueing back then, but that now appeared to have been ditched and it was back to pagers. Thankfully we were paged after 15 minutes. We were seated close to a well travelled couple of gents, one of whom works for Saga cruises, so it was interesting to chat to him about the differences, when I was telling him that we fancied Saga but were struggling to justify their high prices. 

There were only two things of even the remotest interest on today and, Sod’s law, both were scheduled for 2pm 🙄 It’s a bit like all the good TV programmes always being on at 9pm, but at least you can record those! One was a talk on whales and dolphins by ORCA and the other was a talk on art thefts. As it happened, we didn’t end up leaving lunch until 2.20pm and by then we couldn’t get a seat in the ORCA talk! We went back to the cabin and my wife had 40 winks whilst I did another circuit of the promenade deck. The waves and spray are something else now. Bumped in to Ray who we’d had the priority boarders lunch with the day before and enjoyed a natter, before I went to Tazine for a Mocha, where I’m writing this. Although busy, service was impressively quick again. 

Whilst our cabin is huge, apart from the loud creaking there is another thing that is a bit unfortunate. You cannot see out unless you are stood in front of the balcony doors! There is a wall between the bedroom area and living area (which completely blocks any view from the bed) and when you are sat on the sofa in the living room there is a wall panel between the balcony doors and a separate fixed window pane that completely obstructs your view out from that area. Shame, as we spend quite a bit of time in the cabin and love watching the world go by outside. I’m rather relieved that we don’t have this cabin for our 65 night cruise to the Caribbean. The cabins on Aurora are smaller and the sofas are more uncomfortable, but at least you can see out from both the bed and the sofa! Plus the balcony on Aurora is covered, which makes it more usable. For this cruise (creaking aside) it’s fine though. 

My wife was continuing to feel sea

sick and decided that she would remain in the cabin for the remainder of the day. I decided to give Steve Terry, a comedian who also sings, a try in Havana. A few segments were moderately funny quick fire humour but the majority was quite old fashioned and predictable (the type when you guess the punchline before the comedian delivers it). As my wife didn’t want anything to eat I decided to see if I could get in to Epicurean, as if I was dining alone I might as well go there! Unfortunately, on the way there I had to navigate gingerly through a stretch of the corridor on our deck where somebody had vomited profusely on the carpet. The stench clung to my nostrils for some time afterwards 🤮

Epicurean was extremely quiet and I was given a warm welcome. As the restaurant is on deck 17 aft the movement is quite noticeable and on a couple of occasions  there was a sudden bang and lurch when my glass of wine nearly went over. I knew it was bad as there was a scream from the kitchen, and they are far more used to rough seas than we are 😂. Service was excellent. I didn’t like my starter at all (shredded duck leg meat with supposedly some form of caviar, which I didn’t notice at all - just a green foam). I had a sirloin steak which was OK and cooked perfectly, but wasn’t the leanest. The highlight was the crime brûlée with white chocolate spehere, which was my favourite pud on Britannia but is enhanced further in Ventura as it is prepared table side and is a work of art. 

The Headliners show had been cancelled due to the rough seas and as this is due to continue for another 24 hours, the captain has announced that Mondays Black Tie dinner has been put back to Tuesday. I hope that my wife copes better with it tomorrow and I continue to feel OK, if a little weary with the constant rocking, lunging and vibration.

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 24

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 2 - Sunday 29th Oct (Sea Day)

We had a poor nights sleep due to the rough seas. Our cabin creaks and groans very loudly in multiple places. Usually I do a bit of investigating and find the source of the noise and stuff some toilet tissue in to suppress it, but this is way beyond that. There is extensive wooden coving around the tops of all the walls and this seems to creak loudly where it meets the metal ceilings and moves against it. I can’t imagine that the maintenance guys can do anything about it, so I fear we will have this racket until the sea calms down. 

I did a few laps of the promenade deck before breakfast and also went up to deck 16 as we have members of ORCA aboard doing whale and dolphin watches (as well as talks). We enjoyed that on our USA & Canada cruise (when several ORCA members were also on board). The lady reported that she’d seen some common dolphins but that it was far too rough to see anything else. 

The only MDR advertised as open for breakfast is Saffron, but we’d been given a hot tip that Bay Tree also opens and as it’s not advertised it’s much quieter. So that’s where we went. Unfortunately, as it’s an aft restaurant, there was considerable movement in there and within a short period my wife announced that she felt unwell, so I had to get her to the bathroom quickly. We returned to the table for breakfast (we had managed to get the table we have for dinner) but my wife ate just one mouthful and a dry slice of toast. 

After breakfast we did a lap of the promenade deck which was, shall we say, bracing 😂. It’s really nice being back on a ship with a proper covered promenade deck that you can use in all weathers. On our two previous P&O cruises this summer we either had no promenade deck at all (Britannia) or a completely exposed one (Iona). One thing that baffles me on Ventura (and seems illogical) is that in this rough weather the forward and midships exits to the port side of the promenade deck are closed, yet if you go out on the Starboard side you can walk all the way around (apart from the raised front section), including the full length of the the port side of the promenade deck 🤔

When we went back inside we decided to have a meander through the inside public areas on the lower decks. We first wandered into Havana, being unaware that a Sunday religious service was being held. Neither of us has a religious bone in our bodies, but a bit of me wished that we’d stayed, as there was a pianist present whose playing style was pure Les Dawson (for those old enough to remember). The bum notes were every bit as frequent and almost had the same comedic timing. Problem is I’d have had death stares from my wife,  as I would have lost it and it would not have been the time nor the place. I really hope that we come across this pianist again though, as he or she beats many of the comedians we’ve had on board previous cruises 😂 

After a bit of a hunt we discovered where the Britain Today papers are placed. Not at reception (like on Britannia), nor the coffee shop (like on Iona). On Ventura they are in the library. Forgot to say that we paid a visit to the Library yesterday. It’s very small and not well stocked. Ten times better than the pathetic effort on Iona but not a patch on the excellent library on Britannia. My wife was still feeling a bit out of sorts, so we went back to our cabin. Our steward was still working on it, but invited us in and we sat in the lounge area whilst he finished. Have to say he seems excellent. Very thorough, although he was struggling to do his job as the ship was moving around so much. I tried to watch the news but struggled to hear it over all the creaking noises in the cabin (yes it really is that bad - I have recorded a short clip of it which I shall post when I can so that you know I’m not exaggerating 😂)! I am feeling OK thanks to Stugeron. BTW many thanks for the advice of those on Saturday who advised me to buy some Avomine from reception, which I did whilst they still had some. I’ve never used it before but we only have enough Stugeron to last another couple of days and the sea seems to be getting even worse. I’m glad that our daughters and partners aren’t with us. Some of them thought that Iona was moving around when we couldn’t feel the slightest thing, but there’s no denying that we are in rough seas now.

Talking of Iona, I’m pleased to report that the lifts seem bigger on Ventura (in spite of having around half the passengers) and normal lift etiquette is adhered to on here, so we’ve had none of the lift issues that we experienced on Iona. Fingers crossed that continues. There are a lot more kids on board than we expected, considering that any school age kids will be skipping school for at least one of the two weeks. 

The first officer made the noon announcement and is clearly a well read fellow as we had countless Greek and Shakespearean quotes (all of which went above my head) but the gist of it was that we have just entered the Bay of Biscay and it is throwing it’s worst at us. We already knew that, but at least he was admitting that it was rough, as they often talk it down as being “a bit of movement” 😂 

As my wife hadn’t really eaten any breakfast we decided to go for lunch in Saffron. We were told that if we wanted a table for 2 we’d have to take a pager, which we did. I asked how long we could expect to wait and was told around 30 minutes. Annoyingly, there is nowhere to sit and wait near the MDR on deck 6 so we had to get a lift up to deck 7. We grabbed some seats and I ordered a glass of wine. The couple sat next to us said that they’d been on Ventura last year and the ship had been using virtual queueing back then, but that now appeared to have been ditched and it was back to pagers. Thankfully we were paged after 15 minutes. We were seated close to a well travelled couple of gents, one of whom works for Saga cruises, so it was interesting to chat to him about the differences, when I was telling him that we fancied Saga but were struggling to justify their high prices. 

There were only two things of even the remotest interest on today and, Sod’s law, both were scheduled for 2pm 🙄 It’s a bit like all the good TV programmes always being on at 9pm, but at least you can record those! One was a talk on whales and dolphins by ORCA and the other was a talk on art thefts. As it happened, we didn’t end up leaving lunch until 2.20pm and by then we couldn’t get a seat in the ORCA talk! We went back to the cabin and my wife had 40 winks whilst I did another circuit of the promenade deck. The waves and spray are something else now. Bumped in to Ray who we’d had the priority boarders lunch with the day before and enjoyed a natter, before I went to Tazine for a Mocha, where I’m writing this. Although busy, service was impressively quick again. 

Whilst our cabin is huge, apart from the loud creaking there is another thing that is a bit unfortunate. You cannot see out unless you are stood in front of the balcony doors! There is a wall between the bedroom area and living area (which completely blocks any view from the bed) and when you are sat on the sofa in the living room there is a wall panel between the balcony doors and a separate fixed window pane that completely obstructs your view out from that area. Shame, as we spend quite a bit of time in the cabin and love watching the world go by outside. I’m rather relieved that we don’t have this cabin for our 65 night cruise to the Caribbean. The cabins on Aurora are smaller and the sofas are more uncomfortable, but at least you can see out from both the bed and the sofa! Plus the balcony on Aurora is covered, which makes it more usable. For this cruise (creaking aside) it’s fine though. 

My wife was continuing to feel sea

sick and decided that she would remain

in the cabin for the remainder of the day. I decided to give Steve Terry, a comedian who also sings, a try in Havana. A few segments were moderately funny quick fire humour but the majority was quite old fashioned and predictable (the type when you guess the punchline before the comedian delivers it). As my wife didn’t want anything to eat I decided to see if I could get in to Epicurean, as if I was dining alone I might as well go there! Unfortunately, on the way there I had to navigate gingerly through a stretch of the corridor on our deck where somebody had vomited profusely on the carpet. The stench clung to my nostrils for some time afterwards 🤮

Epicurean was extremely quiet and I was given a warm welcome. As the restaurant is on deck 17 aft the movement is quite noticeable and on a couple of occasions  there was a sudden bang and lurch when my glass of wine nearly went over. I knew it was bad as there was a scream from the kitchen, and they are far more used to rough seas than we are 😂. Service was excellent. I didn’t like my starter at all (shredded duck leg meat with supposedly some form of caviar, which I didn’t notice at all - just a green foam). I had a sirloin steak which was OK and cooked perfectly, but wasn’t the leanest. The highlight was the crime brûlée with white chocolate spehere, which was my favourite pud on Britannia but is enhanced further in Ventura as it is prepared table side and is a work of art. 

The Headliners show had been cancelled due to the rough seas and as this is due to continue for another 24 hours, the captain has announced that Mondays Black Tie dinner has been put back to Tuesday. I hope that my wife copes better with it tomorrow and I continue to feel OK, if a little weary with the constant rocking, lunging and vibration.

Regarding the creaking on Ventura we have always found it is very noisy in the forward lift lobbies, with some floors noisier than others.  Have you noticed any of Ventura's notorious listing, especially when there are crosswinds. Apparently they added a ducks arse to Azura which makes her more stable and less prone to listing.

• Like 1

Interesting to note the creaking.  We have had cabins like that before, but in our Force 10 on Aurora, Inside cabin deck 8, we didn't hear a thing.  I also had the steak one night, mainly because there was nothing else for me on the menu and it was just about OK, but tough.

Hope you will be out of this low tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hopefully the conditions improve soon.  I see you have Iona and Sky Princess not so far behind you.  Glad the MDR is working out for you.

If you get a chance could you let me know what if anything benefits for onboard booking they may be offering, please?  After you mentioned booking my Norway cruise later I thought I might hold off and book onboard Britannia in January, meantime watching prices and availability.

I hope Lady S recovers from her sickness very soon and you can both start to get out together again.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Regarding the creaking on Ventura we have always found it is very noisy in the forward lift lobbies, with some floors noisier than others.  Have you noticed any of Ventura's notorious listing, especially when there are crosswinds. Apparently they added a ducks arse to Azura which makes her more stable and less prone to listing.

Funnily enough I was saying the other day that Ventura is the one ship we have been on where she never felt stable and seemed to lean. We were D114 prot side at the front so not high up. I sometimes felt that we were walking up hilll to get to the door from the balcony. I thought it was me ! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We are very near the forward lift lobby on deck 9 and yes it’s still creaking! I filmed a clip of the noise in our cabin but as I’ve only bought the basic WiFi I can’t post it. 

I’ve noticed a list once or twice but we are going every which way at the moment, plus a lot of juddering. My wife feels fine today. It’s still very rough but yesterday we had the corkscrewing that made so many people feel sick. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t know if that last clip will play, but if it does put it on full volume and that’s what we had all night the first night. Still doing it today but not as prolonged. 

I have had terrible cabin noise on Aurora in near the bow of the ship and recently on Sky Princess in bad weather but that cleared up when the sea calmed down. Let’s hope your noise reduces as your cruise continues. 

• Like 2

I've only ever experienced bad creaking on a ferry back from  Ireland overnight

Not sure whether it was an old ship or bad weather or a combination of both

But I do remember it was impossible to sleep through the noise

Hopefully that improves for you

Is this a Canaries cruise?

My parents and their friend are doing saga from UK to Canaries and back etc mid November

Should I warn them to take sea sickness tables with them?

If so what do you guys recommend?

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've only ever experienced bad creaking on a ferry back from  Ireland overnight

Not sure whether it was an old ship or bad weather or a combination of both

But I do remember it was impossible to sleep through the noise

Hopefully that improves for you

Is this a Canaries cruise?

My parents and their friend are doing saga from UK to Canaries and back etc mid November

Should I warn them to take sea sickness tables with them?

If so what do you guys recommend?

Yes Canaries. I swear by Stugeron and that has kept me feeling OK, but it hasn’t saved my wife this time. She’s now on Avomine and feels fine today. 48 hours of this is enough now though thanks 😂 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1