Embarkation MDR lunch

mrell345

10 hours ago, mevs904 said:

That’s another of the reasons that we don’t do a MDR lunch on embarkation day.  We’re just not interested in a heavier meal at that time of day.  We prefer to get something light like a sandwich or salad at the buffet or IC and then we’re ready for a multi-course dinner later on.

For me the 4-5 ravioli really are a light meal. Just nice to relax with a glass of wine and a small meal in boarding. I never eat every course at any meal

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mevs904 said:

That’s another of the reasons that we don’t do a MDR lunch on embarkation day.  We’re just not interested in a heavier meal at that time of day.  We prefer to get something light like a sandwich or salad at the buffet or IC and then we’re ready for a multi-course dinner later on.

We never eat breakfast on embarkation morning, so we’re hungry by lunch time and we don’t eat dinner until 7:30.  I just have salad with salmon and veggies and the soufflé.  A much bigger lunch is at the grill with burgers and fries so the MDR lunch is very light in comparison.  And, it’s a much nicer venue.  Lovely way to start your cruise.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Have you thought of just ordering soup & a salad & possibly something if you have a sweet tooth?  I like the idea of a sit down meal & not having to deal with the crowds in the buffet & traveling solo where do I put my carryon?

Just a thought. 

Tom😀

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Have you thought of just ordering soup & a salad & possibly something if you have a sweet tooth?  I like the idea of a sit down meal & not having to deal with the crowds in the buffet & traveling solo where do I put my carryon?

Just a thought. 

Tom😀

In your cabin, of course. 🙂

45 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

In your cabin, of course. 🙂

Many times the staterooms aren’t available until 1 pm so you have no place to safely put your bag. 

If anyone is aware of staterooms being available when you board the ship, I’m onboard as soon as the ship is open for boarding, please post that here. 

Tom🤔

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Many times the staterooms aren’t available until 1 pm so you have no place to safely put your bag. 

If anyone is aware of staterooms being available when you board the ship, I’m onboard as soon as the ship is open for boarding, please post that here. 

Tom🤔

I can’t remember the last time on a Princess cruise that our staterooms were available before 1 pm.  We would never just drop off our carryons in our open cabin and leave.

Thanks for your suggestions, Tom.  I thought about your concern about carry-on bags and realized that we don’t seem to have that problem because we usually have lunch after 1:00 when the cabins are open.  We do enjoy creating a nice salad at the buffet and sitting by the window or outside to watch the port activity.  We find the views and interesting food choices a pleasurable way to begin our cruise.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know we are in the minority, but it’s great to have different options for different tastes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mevs904 said:

Thanks for your suggestions, Tom.  I thought about your concern about carry-on bags and realized that we don’t seem to have that problem because we usually have lunch after 1:00 when the cabins are open.  We do enjoy creating a nice salad at the buffet and sitting by the window or outside to watch the port activity.  We find the views and interesting food choices a pleasurable way to begin our cruise.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know we are in the minority, but it’s great to have different options for different tastes.

Yes that’s a great idea. Guess that’s an advantage of coming after 1 pm. 

I’ve always arrived early as I would rather be on the ship as early as possible, & avoid any possibility of long checkin lines which I’ve seen here occasionally. 

I recently had a back injury & currently use a walker. Hopefully I won’t need one then but if I do perhaps they will let me into my stateroom early. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 10:49 AM, MustangGT said:

I don’t remember the entire menu because I always have:

Avocado Bay Shrimp starter

Salmon entree

Soufflé for dessert

My husband enjoys the Beef Medallions

I’m sure many more will chime in!

MDR embarkation lunch is my “We are cruising again!” moment!

My exact order, too🛳️🛳️

• Like 1

interesting to me that people consider the mdr embarkation lunch heavy, i've always found it to be pretty light and small portions perhaps it is just what i pick, and i don't think i always pick the same thing. *shrug* .  i've turned my folks onto it and now we always try and get on the ship early to get tor lunch. souflee, i wish they had the orange one again during the cruise, it is better than the chocolate ones, which are still delicious.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

Just a thought. 

Tom😀

The few times cabin was not available,  we were able to take carry-ons to MDR and staff showed us were to leave during lunch. 

No worries!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom🤔

Anytime there still working on our cabin we just eave our bags and let them finish.  They'll lock when done.  At least you won't have to carry them to lunch.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Anytime there still working on our cabin we just eave our bags and let them finish.  They'll lock when done.  At least you won't have to carry them to lunch.

I’ve seen before they had the fire doors blocking the hallway so perhaps they don’t do that evermore. 

Thanks for your reply’s. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I’ve seen before they had the fire doors blocking the hallway so perhaps they don’t do that evermore. 

Thanks for your reply’s. 

Tom😀

Not that we have a huge number of PCL cruises, but only seen fire doors closed once.  I think when a lot of B2B'ers, they need to leave passageways accessible so those folks can get to their cabins.  Never had an issue dropping off bags and leaving right away.  Door closed/locked.

8 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I can’t remember the last time on a Princess cruise that our staterooms were available before 1 pm.  We would never just drop off our carryons in our open cabin and leave.

On board the Grand this summer, we were told we could drop our bags off in our rooms when we boarded. It was around noon. Our steward was actually finished with them, and the doors were closed, but we didn't stay. We had just sat down to lunch at the buffet when they announced rooms were ready. It was about 12:30.

On board Carnival Glory earlier this month, we had "faster to the fun", which allowed us to drop our carry-ons in our room. The doors were still propped open, but we didn't feel unsafe leaving our carry-ons behind. Stuck them in the closet and headed to get some lunch. 

Edited by hapster85
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not that we have a huge number of PCL cruises, but only seen fire doors closed once.  I think when a lot of B2B'ers, they need to leave passageways accessible so those folks can get to their cabins.  Never had an issue dropping off bags and leaving right away.  Door closed/locked.

I've never seen the fire doors closed, but they're easy to open. 

They might leave them open lately since the B2B people have to get to their cabins and it caused to many complaints.

On 10/29/2023 at 5:20 PM, trbarton said:

I recently had a back injury & currently use a walker. Hopefully I won’t need one then but if I do perhaps they will let me into my stateroom early. 

Tom😀

Let into your cabin early because you use a walker?  They don't let me in with my scooter, so you have your answer.

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

It's not really a big deal. There's salmon, but you can get that every night at dinner. 

It’s actually not about the salmon or the soufflé, although we do enjoy them.  It’s about starting our vacation in a more elegant, peaceful way.  It’s just so lovely to sit with a glass of wine and a nice lunch and completely wind down from the hustle and bustle of travelling.  The buffet is very crowded, very noisy and so chaotic.  Not the way we want to start our cruise.  However, if it’s your thing, then by all means enjoy yourself.  Something for everyone when you cruise.

• Like 10

On 10/29/2023 at 6:24 PM, vampiress said:

interesting to me that people consider the mdr embarkation lunch heavy, i've always found it to be pretty light and small portions perhaps it is just what i pick, and i don't think i always pick the same thing.

Regardless of cruise line through out the entire cruise I find the portions on the light/small side

On 10/28/2023 at 9:55 PM, 1965 said:

We've managed to do it once. I was so stoked because I could finally order the orange souffle everyone raves about, & I'm told is only available for embarkation day lunch. Alas. It was only ok. Nothing like I anticipated. I was one disappointed lady. Lol. 

We eventually managed to get to the MDR on embarkation day after being firmly instructed to go to the buffet. So we ignored him and found the MDR. Lovely food for starters/mains etc - a great start to the cruise - but yikes that soufflé was barely mediocre. But the rest of the food on the menu was fabulous.

• Like 1