Looking for advice from experienced cruisers

CrossM2

I thought I had this figured out since I have cruised more than 5-6 times but I’m hearing times have changed so looking for a little more advice. Looking at the 7 port cruise 3/31 on the Viva or a 7 day on either the Apex or the Reflection. So as far as Celebrity I would prefer to try the Apex because it’s new and that sounds exciting but the veranda scares me. The itinerary is better on the Refkection and the gave a sunset balcony but older ship. So does anyone have experience with these two ships and the veranda or sunset balcony? I’ve cruised Princess and RC in the past always loved both but the itineraries aren’t lining up unless we go on old ships that we’ve been on. I am very interested in celebrity. This is also my 50th, however I don’t act it lol so I also don’t want a ship that doesn’t have fun activities either. So a NCL I am not a fan of but I’m thinking new ship amazing itinerary! Help! Are there any I’m missing ?

also looking at Seven Seas Splendor. Help!

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You’re all over the place here.  How about starting with the costs?

Oh I know! I’m pretty open for costs, it seems most of what I’ve looked at is around the $5000 range per stateroom. That doesn’t include airfare. I’m comfortable with that but would be willing to spend more for the right cruise as it is a milestone birthday.

9 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Point of order: if you mean "Infinite Veranda" on the Apex, it's not a veranda. It's a window that opens. Not sure if you find windows scary or not actually having a veranda scary.

It looks neat but I’m hearing a lot of complaints about it making the room hot.

34 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You’re all over the place here.  How about starting with the costs?

I should have also clarified I’m trying to find the best all in for that price, I know tips etc are extra but looking for some things included.

I've got no idea about the Viva. I don't even know what line it's on without Googling it.  Sounds like you aren't sure if you would enjoy the infinite verandah because it's impossible to regulate the A C with the window open. And that is a very valid concern. The reflection sunset balcony sounds wonderful, and you yourself said it had a better itinerary. It is an older ship, but that doesnt mean (in any way shape or form) that it is a shabby old rust bucket. Personally, I'd opt for Reflection.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mom says said:

I've got no idea about the Viva. I don't even know what line it's on without Googling it.  Sounds like you aren't sure if you would enjoy the infinite verandah because it's impossible to regulate the A C with the window open. And that is a very valid concern. The reflection sunset balcony sounds wonderful, and you yourself said it had a better itinerary. It is an older ship, but that doesnt mean (in any way shape or form) that it is a shabby old rust bucket. Personally, I'd opt for Reflection.

Viva is Norwegians new ship and it’s 7 days  with 7 ports. I think the veranda sounds lovely but it’s pretty warm in the Caribbean so do worry sleeping would be hard if it gets as hot as people say, was hoping to see some folks with experience with some of these things. Have you been on Refelction?

I'm someone who generally prefers Celebrity but we had a really great cruise on the Prima (Viva's sister).  You'll get a little better service on Celebrity because NCL really overworks its staff.  But the spaces on the Viva will be quite amazing.  I love their waterfront/promenade deck and the Indulge Food Hall concept.  Plus the Local is a 24 included great food option.  Loyal NCL fans generally don't seem to be a fan of NCL's newest class ship which I think says something about this class standing out and doing something different.  

We have not yet done an Edge class ship (like the Apex) but are booked for 2025 on the Ascot so I can't speak to the Apex.  The Reflection is an S class ship so will be a bit older than the other two (which are essentially brand new ships).  S class ships are a great balance between being not too large of a ship but still having a lot going on.  They also have the traditional balconies.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those ship choices.  There's just different pros and cons to each one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I'm someone who generally prefers Celebrity but we had a really great cruise on the Prima (Viva's sister).  You'll get a little better service on Celebrity because NCL really overworks its staff.  But the spaces on the Viva will be quite amazing.  I love their waterfront/promenade deck and the Indulge Food Hall concept.  Plus the Local is a 24 included great food option.  Loyal NCL fans generally don't seem to be a fan of NCL's newest class ship which I think says something about this class standing out and doing something different.  

We have not yet done an Edge class ship (like the Apex) but are booked for 2025 on the Ascot so I can't speak to the Apex.  The Reflection is an S class ship so will be a bit older than the other two (which are essentially brand new ships).  S class ships are a great balance between being not too large of a ship but still having a lot going on.  They also have the traditional balconies.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those ship choices.  There's just different pros and cons to each one.

Thanks for the response. Did you find any of the spaces too busy on Prima as I have heard that they are small. 

2 minutes ago, CrossM2 said:

Thanks for the response. Did you find any of the spaces too busy on Prima as I have heard that they are small. 

If you are a huge fan of the music at Syd Norman's Pour House, there are significant issues with crowds.  (We aren't so this wasn't an issue for us.)

The Indulge Food Hall can also get crowded although we solved that by just staking out a table at lunch before they opened.  

And the pool space is a bit more split up with some of it down on the promenade deck (both port and starboard side) and then a much smaller pool area high up where you normally expect a pool area so it may take a bit more effort to find the quieter spaces but they do exist.

Other than that, I found people spread out pretty well and there were lots of quiet spaces.  The ship is designed with more public spaces than typical although each individual space is a bit smaller.  So as long as everyone doesn't want to be in the same venue, there is no issue with space.

The main MDR (Hudson's) is huge and absolutely amazing with wrap around aft views.  I have yet to find a better MDR venue on any ship.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

I have been on the reflection twice when she did two week cruises in the Caribbean, I loved that ship. Had a sunset veranda nice large balcony. All celebrity cabins are very nice on their ships. 

5 minutes ago, prmssk said:

If you are a huge fan of the music at Syd Norman's Pour House, there are significant issues with crowds.  (We aren't so this wasn't an issue for us.)

The Indulge Food Hall can also get crowded although we solved that by just staking out a table at lunch before they opened.  

And the pool space is a bit more split up with some of it down on the promenade deck (both port and starboard side) and then a much smaller pool area high up where you normally expect a pool area so it may take a bit more effort to find the quieter spaces but they do exist.

Other than that, I found people spread out pretty well and there were lots of quiet spaces.  The ship is designed with more public spaces than typical although each individual space is a bit smaller.  So as long as everyone doesn't want to be in the same venue, there is no issue with space.

The main MDR (Hudson's) is huge and absolutely amazing with wrap around aft views.  I have yet to find a better MDR venue on any ship.  

Thank you so much this is helpful!

I look at aft view and itinerary first if price is similar.  I love the aft view because it's incredible watching the wake while you sail or in port if you're docked in the right direction.  The personal choice is yours.  But you have to take into account what is important to you on the cruise.  If you're a foodie, you may be disappointed.  Otherwise some other people seem to think the food is good.  So the choice really depends upon your interests and likes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I look at aft view and itinerary first if price is similar.  I love the aft view because it's incredible watching the wake while you sail or in port if you're docked in the right direction.  The personal choice is yours.  But you have to take into account what is important to you on the cruise.  If you're a foodie, you may be disappointed.  Otherwise some other people seem to think the food is good.  So the choice really depends upon your interests and likes.

Which one are you referring to with the food? I think the aft view looks amazing. I’m tryinto find the right one for our group and that’s what is difficult. Also navigating cruise lines I’m not familiar with. 

Have been on over 50 cruises.  Went on the Apex last January and did a b/2/b.  The ship was wonderful.  If you are not interested in a infinite veranda- do an aft veranda.  I would try to upgrade to a sky suite-  They are the best and the suite lounge and restaurant are fabulous.

Enjoy.

11 hours ago, CrossM2 said:

It looks neat but I’m hearing a lot of complaints about it making the room hot.

I will be sailing on the Ascent, an Edge class Celebrity ship, in February. We have a sunset Veranda. I selected this cabin because I wanted someone special as it's my birthday cruise also. I read about the "window Verandas" like you did also. From what I read, the impact on temperature was mainly about the AC not being on if you have the window/door open or not locked. Other than that, I had not read that the rooms are hot in general. 

Can someone who has sailed in a Veranda room clarify this? Just hoping to help the OP with more info about the room temperature in those cabins since she says she can't find any sunset rooms available for that Apex sailing. 

Edited by blueslily

10 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Have been on over 50 cruises.  Went on the Apex last January and did a b/2/b.  The ship was wonderful.  If you are not interested in a infinite veranda- do an aft veranda.  I would try to upgrade to a sky suite-  They are the best and the suite lounge and restaurant are fabulous.

Enjoy.

Thank you for the great info! I was considering upgrades like that but we have a group going with us nd I know they won’t want to upgrade.

3 minutes ago, blueslily said:

I will be sailing on the Ascent, an Edge class Celebrity ship, in February. We have a sunset Veranda. I selected this cabin because I wanted someone special as it's my birthday cruise also. I read about the "window Verandas" like you did also. From what I read, the impact on temperature was mainly about the AC not being on if you have the window/door open or not locked. Other than that, I had not read that the rooms are hot in general. 

Can someone who has sailed in a Veranda room clarify this? Just hoping to help the OP with more info about the room temperature in those cabins since she says she can't find any sunset rooms available for that Apex sailing. 

Yes that is what I heard as well, when you open the window the AC shuts off. Also I am shorter and I’m assuming that sitting on the balcony my vision is right where the window opens too but I guess it’s not much different than a regular balcony railing.

1 hour ago, CrossM2 said:

Which one are you referring to with the food? I think the aft view looks amazing. I’m tryinto find the right one for our group and that’s what is difficult. Also navigating cruise lines I’m not familiar with. 

I was thinking about the last couple of times I sailed Celebrity. Since then I've been on Regent where the food by and large was excellent. 

11 hours ago, CrossM2 said:

I was curious as we  never sail NCL.

I looked up Viva..It's a very big ship with alot going on there...maybe too much...not sure it would fit our more relaxed style that we enjoy on X.

On Celeb E Class,   we have no issues with the Inf Balc but it is  cleatly NOT a balcony..more like a sun room with an operable  window.. We keep the bi fold doors open  between the cabin and inf veranda area; and place  the chairs and table  facing inward to enlarge the cabin space which is narrow.  We open the window to look out at times or for photos. We would find the inf veranda area very confining with bifolds closed

Sunset Verandas have real aft balcs and larger staterooms,   but book up quickly..we enjoy them.