Club Orange and Dinner

ChinaShrek

I have Club Orange booked for my cruise next summer on the Nieuw Statendam. How does dinner work? Do I have to eat in Club Orange every night or can I alternate one night there and the next night in the MDR? I am traveling solo but I want to sit with other people at dinner. If they offer to seat me alone, I may just go to the MDR where I know I can eat with a group. Conversely, I might eat in the MDR on the first night to see who my dinner mates would be for the week. If they're cool, I might eat with them all week and avoid Club Orange entirely. I guess I want a plan before I arrive on the ship. I have early fixed seating for dinner. What would you folks advise?

You can eat in any venue you want!  CO dining room, MDR, Lido, Pizza place, Rudy's, Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, Canaletto, Dive In, or Room service! 

Signing up for fixed dining in the MDR defeats the purpose of buying Club Orange on a Pinnacle ship in my opinion!  The big draw for most is that you can eat in the much quieter and more personal service CO dining room on the Nieuw Statendam!   I've read that sometimes people share tables at CO but I haven't experienced it myself since I didn't have CO on Rotterdam.

Has anyone here on CC shared a table at CO?

Added:  If you do go for the fixed MDR dining and decide to eat elsewhere on any night, please let your waiter/table mates know you won't show up so they don't wait for you.  If no one shows up to the table that day, they can give it to an anytime diner.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

5 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Signing up for fixed dining in the MDR defeats the purpose of buying Club Orange on a Pinnacle ship in my opinion!  The big draw for most is that you can eat in the much quieter and more personal service CO dining room on the Nieuw Statendam!   I've read that sometimes people share tables at CO but I haven't experienced it myself since I didn't have CO on Rotterdam.

~Nancy

The big draw for me was saving almost $1000 from an Obstructed Verandah Guarantee to an Unobstructed Verandah on Deck 8.

• Like 3

As someone who travels alone and prefers fixed dining, I think if you plan to dine elsewhere (including Club Orange) most nights, it is unfair to reserve a seat in fixed dining, too. 
People reserve in fixed so that they will have company every night, and get to know their tablemates over the course of the cruise. To come and go throws off the dynamic of the table and the ambiance of dining. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RuthC said:

As someone who travels alone and prefers fixed dining, I think if you plan to dine elsewhere (including Club Orange) most nights, it is unfair to reserve a seat in fixed dining, too. 
People reserve in fixed so that they will have company every night, and get to know their tablemates over the course of the cruise. To come and go throws off the dynamic of the table and the ambiance of dining. 

That's a good point and kind of why I posted my question. I will definitely choose one or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go to fixed dining the first night and meet your table mates.  If you enjoy their company I would stick with the MDR.  We’ve met some delightful people at shared tables in the MDR.  It is not as easy to find a shared table in Club Orange and the menu is the same except for one entree.  

2 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Go to fixed dining the first night and meet your table mates.  If you enjoy their company I would stick with the MDR.  We’ve met some delightful people at shared tables in the MDR.  It is not as easy to find a shared table in Club Orange and the menu is the same except for one entree.  

That's what I'll do. Thank you!

• Like 1

As a solo, frankly I would far rather eat in Club Orange on a Pinnacle Class ship than the loud, slower dining room.  CO service is much nicer, smoother and much quieter.  Simply let your CO Manager that you would like to be able to chat with people or possibly share a table.  I found people friendly most times and we would carry on a conversation.

If you wait a day or 2, I found the manager very adept at who I would be simpatico with on the Koningsdam.  I was sat with a lovely couple who invited me to join them anytime they were there while I was on the K.

On my most recent sailing on the Rotterdam, I had several roll call members with CO and Edgar would just ask if friends would be joining me.  I usually replied (unless I was sure of a time) I’m not sure.  So, he sat me next to an empty 2 top and keep it empty for a smidge.  I was usually joined by roll call members which was really nice 🙂  One of the many benefits of roll calls & Meet & Greets 🙂 

CO on a Pinnacle Class ship is far superior to the MDR, believe me.  I’ve tested the MDR on 2 of them.  

Based on my experience in the MDR, you would have a very hard time hearing your table mates if you are seated at a table for 6 or larger.

• Like 3

On the Rotterdam in February, my DH and I ate every breakfast and dinner (except 2 nights in specialty restaurants) in Club Orange.  We asked to be seated in the same section with the same waiter for every meal.  The service was outstanding.  The food (and drinks) were served promptly, were excellently prepared, often customized to our taste and always hot.  We frequently conversed with those seated next to us including several solo diners.

We were unable to book CO on our October cruise on the Rotterdam because it is capacity controlled.  We had fixed seating for 2 in the MDR.  Our server always greeted us promptly and took our drink order.  Frequently, the drinks arrived after our appetizer.  Our waiter had far too many tables to provide us with outstanding service but I could tell he was doing his best.  Entrees were often served lukewarm.  It took some time for plates to be cleared.  Although he knew I had tea after dinner every evening, sometimes the wait was more than 10 minutes for it to arrive.  The staff was scurrying around but the level of service was not the same as CO.

Also, I believe it would be very difficult to have a conversation at a table with more than 4 people because of the noise level in the MDR.

• Like 2

So many people do the come when you wish dining that there are very few assigned tables where you would meet with same folks each evening.  As a solo traveller, I used to miss that camaraderie until they designed such noisy, crowded mdr’s.  So CO now a wonderful choice, and folks nearby often make s point of chatting with solo travelers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

On the Rotterdam in February, my DH and I ate every breakfast and dinner (except 2 nights in specialty restaurants) in Club Orange.  We asked to be seated in the same section with the same waiter for every meal.  The service was outstanding.  The food (and drinks) were served promptly, were excellently prepared, often customized to our taste and always hot.  We frequently conversed with those seated next to us including several solo diners.

We were unable to book CO on our October cruise on the Rotterdam because it is capacity controlled.  We had fixed seating for 2 in the MDR.  Our server always greeted us promptly and took our drink order.  Frequently, the drinks arrived after our appetizer.  Our waiter had far too many tables to provide us with outstanding service but I could tell he was doing his best.  Entrees were often served lukewarm.  It took some time for plates to be cleared.  Although he knew I had tea after dinner every evening, sometimes the wait was more than 10 minutes for it to arrive.  The staff was scurrying around but the level of service was not the same as CO.

Also, I believe it would be very difficult to have a conversation at a table with more than 4 people because of the noise level in the MDR.

You really make Club Orange sound inviting compared to the MDR.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

You really make Club Orange sound inviting compared to the MDR.

I suggested the MDR on the first night because you have fixed dining so would have the same table mates and the same table every evening.  I agree that it’s hard to have a conversation at a table in the MDR for more than 6.  At least you will know what the situation is if you check it out the first night.  You can always go to Club Orange for the rest of the cruise if you think it would be better.  Enjoy your cruise!  You have options. Some of the tables in the MDR have ocean views, Club Orange has a hallway between the dining room and the ocean views.  I’ve only had Club Orange on the newer ships and I do not travel alone.

40 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I suggested the MDR on the first night because you have fixed dining so would have the same table mates and the same table every evening.  I agree that it’s hard to have a conversation at a table in the MDR for more than 6.  At least you will know what the situation is if you check it out the first night.  You can always go to Club Orange for the rest of the cruise if you think it would be better.  Enjoy your cruise!  You have options. Some of the tables in the MDR have ocean views, Club Orange has a hallway between the dining room and the ocean views.  I’ve only had Club Orange on the newer ships and I do not travel alone.

I'm really torn but think checking the MDR out the first night would be worth it. 

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

For science? 😉

LOL - of course in the interest of CC 😂.

Facts - Friends invited me to a table for Gala night once and I said why not?  Ugh.  I was SO glad I had CO.

Solos lunch on the same ship - so glad I had CO for the service.

mariner lunch on the Rotterdam - I could barely hear the person speak.  Crazy loud.  Thank heavens for CO.  

All in the interest of science 🙂 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mafig said:

I've only seen photos of Club Orange.  We'll be on Rotterdam with CO.

If there's a line going into the dining room, do the folks waiting in line peer into CO as you're eating?

I really didn’t notice it.  The section to the left (closest to the dining room has more glass and is quieter than the more forward section.  That wood is open and I noticed a difference in case it is of help.

I ate mostly in the aft section as my preferred waiters were there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mafig said:

If there's a line going into the dining room, do the folks waiting in line peer into CO as you're eating?

We were on the Rotterdam in May, and there was never a line. Once we had to wait about five minutes for a table, but they gave us a buzzer to let us know when the table was available. We ate there most nights, and never noticed anyone looking in, as we never saw anyone standing around outside. Walking by maybe, but again it wasn't noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As a solo traveler, I enjoyed dining in Club Orange on Koningsdam. I thought I'd prefer dining solo and it was fine, but I also ended up having conversations with those around me and several times sat with others I had met.  The hosts were very accommodating and skilled at the social mix, and knew my preferences by day 2 of a 7 day sailing. CO ended up my favorite part of the whole cruise. I also enjoyed a much better view than I had expected through the frosted glass.

I had lunch in the MDR at embarkation and an anniversary brunch, and experienced what others have said, slow service, too busy for followup; woulda been nice to have some butter for my bread but waiter never came back and couldn't get anyone's attention. Busy and noisy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Sure. But, I think it's more curiosity than anything else. I'm used to the limelight, so no big deal. Just kidding. Wouldn't that be fun? Star of the ship in CO. Lol!