Evaluating the port changes for Socrates & Sunshine on Vista October 30, 2024

kjbacon

We were notified by Oceania that our cruise itinerary for the titled cruise was modified. Of course, we understand and the lengthy notice is a plus but we just aren’t sure if the new itinerary is going to work for us. Three of the ports are called on twice, Kotor, Dubrovnik, and Valletta. The price seems high now that it is a Greek Isles and Med cruise instead of the Middle East. It’s always helpful to hear other’s thoughts and ideas so please chime in.

Although we have not received formal notice our September 2024 Cruise Athens to Istanbul on the Riviera has also been modified to include Kotor, Dubrovnik Corfu and Mykonos. All ports we have been to and loved but are not interested going back to at this time. We choose O for the itinerary, specifically so we could visit Egypt and Israel and at the time the price. We have traveled on Azamara several times but we got a better price from O and have always wanted to try it. If you have not been to Kotor, Dubrovnik and Valetta I suggest you visit. We love all of those ports and have enjoyed our visits. The sail into Kotor is spectacular and there is a store in town that sells local crafts. The Christmas ornaments ( among other items) are gorgeous. We are never at a loss for things to do in Dubrovnik definitely stop for lunch. If you are a desert lover try the apple strudel or gelato or both. Valetta has Knights Templar and WW II history to explore. Also another place to stop for fabulous food. Before you cancel check out similar cruises on other lines such as Celebrity, Azamara, Viking. I do trial bookings. I am finding out that prices are high everywhere. At this point we are canceling but may rebook for 2025 or pick another 2024 cruise with Ports we want to visit. 

Our 21 April cruise Valetta to Trieste should have gone to Istanbul and Kusadasi (both places I had been before) and now we visit Kotor, Heraklion and Santorini - all of which I have been to before.  I am not unhappy with this decision because I did want to see Heraklion and Santorini again.  I am sorry, very sorry, that we won't see Ephesus or Istanbul on this cruise but we can always fly there in a couple of hours and visit them (though I am not sure exactly how we would get to Kusadasi from Istanbul!).  I was hoping Turkey would not fall victim to what is happening in Israel and Gaza but it has.  A real shame.  But the new ports suit me just fine.  In fact if the ship were just to sail off and go around in circles for 10 days I would be fine with that too!!  Oceania (and Regent) are great companies to sail with...

• Like 5

If I understand the OP, part of their issue is that the addition of these new ports means that they will be called on TWICE in the same voyage...

If that is the case, I would not be very tempted. While all of the ports are worth a visit, I'm not sure they are worth TWO visits on the same cruise.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I understand the OP, part of their issue is that the addition of these new ports means that they will be called on TWICE in the same voyage...

If that is the case, I would not be very tempted. While all of the ports are worth a visit, I'm not sure they are worth TWO visits on the same cruise.

Yes, twice. We have about a dozen ports that are changed on this cruise and the 3 mentioned above will be called on twice, about a week apart. We’ve been to Dubrovnik and Kotor before but not Valetta.

7 hours ago, LWFM said:

Although we have not received formal notice our September 2024 Cruise Athens to Istanbul on the Riviera has also been modified to include Kotor, Dubrovnik Corfu and Mykonos. All ports we have been to and loved but are not interested going back to at this time. We choose O for the itinerary, specifically so we could visit Egypt and Israel and at the time the price. We have traveled on Azamara several times but we got a better price from O and have always wanted to try it. If you have not been to Kotor, Dubrovnik and Valetta I suggest you visit. We love all of those ports and have enjoyed our visits. The sail into Kotor is spectacular and there is a store in town that sells local crafts. The Christmas ornaments ( among other items) are gorgeous. We are never at a loss for things to do in Dubrovnik definitely stop for lunch. If you are a desert lover try the apple strudel or gelato or both. Valetta has Knights Templar and WW II history to explore. Also another place to stop for fabulous food. Before you cancel check out similar cruises on other lines such as Celebrity, Azamara, Viking. I do trial bookings. I am finding out that prices are high everywhere. At this point we are canceling but may rebook for 2025 or pick another 2024 cruise with Ports we want to visit. 

My husband is a total WWII buff so thank you for that helpful tip. What are the places you might recommend? When I skimmed over the shorex, I didn’t really see that featured.

Although we have enjoyed Azamara and Viking, we are most comfortable with Regent and Oceania.

28 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

My husband is a total WWII buff so thank you for that helpful tip. What are the places you might recommend? When I skimmed over the shorex, I didn’t really see that featured.

We found the underground British war rooms at Valetta very interesting. An unfamiliar part of WWII.

Edited by NYAS

11 hours ago, kjbacon said:

My husband is a total WWII buff so thank you for that helpful tip. 

Your husband should visit the National War Museum at Fort St. Elmo in Valletta.  On display is the George Cross awarded to the people of Malta by King Geoge VI for their heroism during the German seige that took place in the early part of the war.  There are many other interesting displays and the fortifications are impressive.  You both may also want to attend the firing of the noon gun at the saluting battery located on the ramparts of the Upper Barrakka Gardens.  If I remember correcty there is a small fee to go out and view the firing up close.  Regards, Paul

image.thumb.jpeg.a42915653fdb0b9a0eb7ca1642170797.jpeg

Thank you all so much for the WWII info; he will love it. When I looked just now for some of those places, I came across the fact that Malta has a HOHO bus so that will be perfect for our first stop in Malta. Perhaps a food and wine tour would be good on the second stop (if we do follow through with the cruise).

The new itinerary also swaps out several ports in Greece and Cyprus … very disappointing and not as understandable. We have about a dozen port changes so it’s not an easy decision. Still, a very privileged problem to have!

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

Thank you all so much for the WWII info; he will love it. When I looked just now for some of those places, I came across the fact that Malta has a HOHO bus so that will be perfect for our first stop in Malta. Perhaps a food and wine tour would be good on the second stop (if we do follow through with the cruise).

The new itinerary also swaps out several ports in Greece and Cyprus … very disappointing and not as understandable. We have about a dozen port changes so it’s not an easy decision. Still, a very privileged problem to have!

I’d do some research on the HOHO bus.  I recall seeing earlier on here of some who have had bad experiences with it there. Was not reliable and took you way out of the main city center and caused you to not have much time to explore the city center area. See Post #25 from the Live From Riviera thread. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

I’d do some research on the HOHO bus.  I recall seeing earlier on here of some who have had bad experiences with it there. Was not reliable and took you way out of the main city center and caused you to not have much time to explore the city center area. See Post #25 from the Live From Riviera thread. 

If Joan Sheridan is available, you will have the best tour ever- she is a history buff and knows the best places to go.  In St John's Cathedral she just bypassed out the people with electronic devices to do the tour and led us right to the Caravaggio paintings and gave us a wonderful history. In Mdina, she knew everyone and introduced us to the Mayor.

https://www.maltatourguide.com/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

If Joan Sheridan is available, you will have the best tour ever- she is a history buff and knows the best places to go.  In St John's Cathedral she just bypassed out the people with electronic devices to do the tour and led us right to the Caravaggio paintings and gave us a wonderful history. In Mdina, she knew everyone and introduced us to the Mayor.

Thank you. Just bookmarked her site.

We spent about 9 days in Malta back in 2006 and a port day in 2009 and still haven't seen all that Malta has to offer.   Abaolutely wonderful - you will surely have a great time.  Just too bad you won't get there 3 times 😄.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thank you! I have reached out to her. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:28 AM, kjbacon said:

We were notified by Oceania that our cruise itinerary for the titled cruise was modified. Of course, we understand and the lengthy notice is a plus but we just aren’t sure if the new itinerary is going to work for us. Three of the ports are called on twice, Kotor, Dubrovnik, and Valletta. The price seems high now that it is a Greek Isles and Med cruise instead of the Middle East. It’s always helpful to hear other’s thoughts and ideas so please chime in.

If you are not happy with the changes  cancel & look for something you like

You are  a year away  & anything can happen

On 11/5/2023 at 3:54 AM, kjbacon said:

We walked out to the transportation circle where busses and taxis are. We took a taxi to the main gate of Mdina,  which is not to be missed IMO. If you do a little research I think you will want to spend part of your day there. We left the ship early, and as it was a late port stay, and spent time until after lunch. We then took a taxi back to Valletta until evening. There is so much to see and do. Cathedrals in both cities are over the top. War cannons firing are a site to see. Mdina glass is beautiful, food delicious. The small archeological museum in Valletta was also well worth the time and has artifacts dating back before the pyramids. Definitely a great stop - - but I think their HoHo system may not serve you the best from what I read. 

We would go back again without hesitation.

Also agree with all the comments about Kotor and Dubrovnik   - thankfully Dubrovnik has capacity control in place, unlike Santorini. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Hambagahle said:

Our 21 April cruise Valetta to Trieste should have gone to Istanbul and Kusadasi (both places I had been before) and now we visit Kotor, Heraklion and Santorini - all of which I have been to before.  I am not unhappy with this decision because I did want to see Heraklion and Santorini again.  I am sorry, very sorry, that we won't see Ephesus or Istanbul on this cruise but we can always fly there in a couple of hours and visit them (though I am not sure exactly how we would get to Kusadasi from Istanbul!).  I was hoping Turkey would not fall victim to what is happening in Israel and Gaza but it has.  A real shame.  But the new ports suit me just fine.  In fact if the ship were just to sail off and go around in circles for 10 days I would be fine with that too!!  Oceania (and Regent) are great companies to sail with...

You are right that both Regent and Oceania are great companies to sail with.

Many of the changes don’t make sense to me though. For example, you say you had Heraklion added to your changed itinerary and yet we had Heraklion removed from our changed itinerary (a port we were very excited to call on).

We are probably going to cancel, given the 14 or so port changes and the multiple duplicated ports. Neither of us would have ever considered a 36 night Med cruise. 

On 11/4/2023 at 3:01 PM, Hambagahle said:

We were in Kusadasi in September but there had been rain and Ephesus was deemed unsafe because of the road surfaces. So you can never be sure of visiting certain places even if the ship does dock! Land trip might be surer.

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

We were in Kusadasi in September but there had been rain and Ephesus was deemed unsafe because of the road surfaces. So you can never be sure of visiting certain places even if the ship does dock! Land trip might be surer.

Very likely and perhaps we will do that...  however I have a question for you.  Your screen name has a familiar "ring" to me because I am a Valaisanne.   Any possible connection ?

29 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Very likely and perhaps we will do that...  however I have a question for you.  Your screen name has a familiar "ring" to me because I am a Valaisanne.   Any possible connection ?

No we had a place in a Valle San Lorenzo … hence the name!