Coffee in Main Dining Room

Smitheroo

I have read the criticism of the coffee in the main dining rooms.  I didnt understand, it seemed fine to me. However, on the recent cruise on the Encore I thought the coffee lacked any oomph and wondered if they were serving half reg/half decaf or even full decaf. It tasted okay but did nothing for me. So my travel partner suggested picking up a Starbucks to  compare Now that had some zip to it. I'm not a regular Starbucks drinker but I do drink it from time to time.  I wondered why there would need to be a Starbucks package on board.  Were people that addicted to their Starbucks?    My travel partner said they used to do that when he worked as a nurse- they would serve decaf to patients who requested coffee later in the evening, and not tell them.

First, don’t believe everything (criticisms) you read on the internet. Most is Fake News. 

The MDR coffee seems the same to me. They just dump a big bag of grounds in the commercial drip coffee maker and turn it on. 

There has always been a specialty coffee bar on NCL ships. Lately, Starbucks has been awarded contracts to operate the coffee bar on more ships. 

I just can’t see spending $9 for a cup of coffee that is free in the MDR and buffet. I don’t go to Starbucks on land either for the same reason. If I have to buy coffee, McD senior coffee or Wawa coffee is fine for me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I have read the criticism of the coffee in the main dining rooms.  I didnt understand, it seemed fine to me. However, on the recent cruise on the Encore I thought the coffee lacked any oomph and wondered if they were serving half reg/half decaf or even full decaf. It tasted okay but did nothing for me. So my travel partner suggested picking up a Starbucks to  compare Now that had some zip to it. I'm not a regular Starbucks drinker but I do drink it from time to time.  I wondered why there would need to be a Starbucks package on board.  Were people that addicted to their Starbucks?    My travel partner said they used to do that when he worked as a nurse- they would serve decaf to patients who requested coffee later in the evening, and not tell them.

It depends on what value you put on coffee, I’m not a Starbucks fan on land. Australia thankfully had very few Starbucks, however when on the ship and that’s the best they’ve got, I’m going to be getting it. The coffee in the buffet isn’t great to me so worth having a nice coffee. 

• Like 1

Coffee tastes are different often by where you come from. I much rather have a good European coffee than what is served in most places in the US. I’m not a fan of Starbucks drip coffee but give me a half sweet caramel macchiato with skim milk and I’m a happy woman. I’ll be drinking coffee in port on my upcoming cruise as we go through Europe and bringing my favorite tea to make cocoa chai’s on sea days. Add in the occasional Starbucks and I’ll survive the 15 night cruise no matter how bad the onboard coffee is. 

Edited by SoloAlaska

I am convinced that the CEOs of all the main cruise lines meet once per year in secret and renew their pact to serve horrible coffee on cruises.  In that way, all passengers must pay $9 per cup of premium coffee no matter what cruise line they go on.     By the way, this is illegal and should be reported to the S.E.C. (Securities and Exchange Coffee committee).

• Haha 5

I drink a lot of coffee but I'm not a coffee snob.  My taste buds adjust to whatever coffee is available.  I love having an early morning cup while sitting on a balcony watching the ocean roll by.  The only time I drink specialty coffee is when I'm on a cruise line that includes the coffee bar with their drink package.  I've never had an issue with coffee on any cruise ship.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

First, don’t believe everything (criticisms) you read on the internet. Most is Fake News. 

The MDR coffee seems the same to me. They just dump a big bag of grounds in the commercial drip coffee maker and turn it on. 

There has always been a specialty coffee bar on NCL ships. Lately, Starbucks has been awarded contracts to operate the coffee bar on more ships. 

I just can’t see spending $9 for a cup of coffee that is free in the MDR and buffet. I don’t go to Starbucks on land either for the same reason. If I have to buy coffee, McD senior coffee or Wawa coffee is fine for me. 

I'm said to see you put Mcd and Wawa in the same sentance.  Wawa is by far the coffee king!!!  :)

I also don't do Starbucks on land or sea

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Fewer and fewer people drink drip coffee anymore.  People have gotten used to what NCL would call "specialty" coffee.  On the ships, if you want an espresso,  latte,  Frappuccino,  etc you have to go to Starbucks.   

Despite a lot of unsubstantiated fake news, on the BA/BA+ ships, NCL serves around 15,000 cups of non-specialty coffee per day on each ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I drink a lot of coffee but I'm not a coffee snob.  My taste buds adjust to whatever coffee is available.  I love having an early morning cup while sitting on a balcony watching the ocean roll by.  The only time I drink specialty coffee is when I'm on a cruise line that includes the coffee bar with their drink package.  I've never had an issue with coffee on any cruise ship.

the taste was okay. It just was blah, no pizzazz  Starbucks had pizzazz.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Despite a lot of unsubstantiated fake news, on the BA/BA+ ships, NCL serves around 15,000 cups of non-specialty coffee per day on each ship. 

Just because they serve it doesn’t make it any good! If people do not want to pay for it then that’s all they have. 

Coffee culture has been evolving for years and seen the US and other countries change with independent coffee places and has really upped their game heaps over the years. Which is awesome to see. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

Just because they serve it doesn’t make it any good! If people do not want to pay for it then that’s all they have. 

Coffee culture has been evolving for years and seen the US and other countries change with independent coffee places and has really upped their game heaps over the years. Which is awesome to see. 

I was responding to someone who asserted that fewer people drink drip coffee. The facts differ from the assertion. We would never buy Starbucks or specialty coffees on land or at see. 

And just observation that there are not 4200 people in line at Starbucks each morning. Only the very very very few who have bought into the hype (and there are not many of them). 

Edited by BirdTravels

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I was responding to someone who asserted that fewer people drink drip coffee. The facts differ from the assertion. We would never buy Starbucks or specialty coffees on land or at see. 

And just observation that there are not 4200 people in line at Starbucks each morning. Only the very very very few who have bought into the hype (and there are not many of them). 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and their tastes.  Personally, I like good coffee.  If I’m not in the Haven I budget for two Starbucks a day,  usually a Vente drip in the morning and an iced espresso in the afternoon,  I’m not “buying into the hype”.  The drip coffee on the ship is almost undrinkable - at least for me.  Adding a shot of Kailua or Baileys makes it tolerable, but I’m usually not ready for that early in the morning,  😂. That $8 a day is worth every penny - for me.  Not saying it would be worth it for everyone,  (Starbucks is not $8 a cup as I believe you stated in an earlier post,). 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Oh please. Your facts have zero credibility.

So from what what you’re saying is that because YOU don’t see the whole cruise lining up at Starbucks that the same amount of people still drink drip coffee! 

The fact that Starbucks annual revenue is just under $36B and the coffee industry increasing year on year is facts enough that people are buying and drink more coffee than ever before. 

So your facts aren’t actually facts, as you love to say, it’s fake news 😄😄 

• Like 3

Just now, RedRover96 said:

Kind of off topic, for those of us who are diabetic, etc., what non-sugar sweeteners are offered @ Starbucks or dining rooms?

The usual genetics, yellow, pink, and blue packets .  I use Splenda, so yellow packet for me