Morimoto at Sea- a review

lupaglupa

16 hours ago, kazu said:

No, it is not an option under the HIA.  None of the higher priced or special dining moments are.

It, Sel de Mer, any potential Cellar Master, pop ups are not eligible in the HIA package.

HIA is restricted to Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind (if the ship has a Tamarind).

Thanks for the info! We're not new to cruising, but we are new to HAL so I'm still sorting things out. 😃

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m on the Niewstatendam for the April 7 transatlantic cruise. Morimoto appears to be a popup on the 14th as, while it’s listed as an extra cost restaurant, you can only make a reservation for the 14th. The supplement is $64.50. 

Edited by EvadKnat
  • Like 1

I’m on the May 11th TA on Zuiderdam. Morimoto is a pop up one night in the PG. on the app it just shows as unable to book PG that night.   website you can book it though as Morimoto. 

• Like 1

With reference to the photo of the lobster tail from PG, on another thread  a contributor proclaimed adamantly (and authoritatively, so far as I could tell) that, contrary to its billing, it was in no way a Maine lobster. IIRC, the Maine lobster and the spiny lobster caught in warm-weather locales are not even the same species.

Judging from the photographic evidence, the Morimoto lobster is way superior to the PG's.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

With reference to the photo of the lobster tail from PG, on another thread  a contributor proclaimed adamantly (and authoritatively, so far as I could tell) that, contrary to its billing, it was in no way a Maine lobster. IIRC, the Maine lobster and the spiny lobster caught in warm-weather locales are not even the same species.

Judging from the photographic evidence, the Morimoto lobster is way superior to the PG's.

It might depend on what the ship can get.  I’m a Maritimer and I know lobster.  the lobster served in Sel de Mer and PG was indeed Maritime lobster on the Rotterdam.  Same with the surcharge lobster (the more expensive one) offered in the MDR on the Koningsdam.   (lobster is found on the East Coast in both Maine and Canada so I call it Maritime lobster.) 

• Like 3

My experience with lobster-gate is that HAL has only substituted the large (12 ounce) tails with the inferior warm water tail, not the smaller 5 ounce ones. The smaller ones are always cold water tails. 

The “substitution” has happened to me on multiple ships in both the PG and Tamarind. The PG menu always calls it Maine but they could have easily revised the menu. Tamarind doesn’t say it is Maine but the original recipe for the wok seared lobster called for the same 12 ounce Maine lobster tail served in PG. HAL substitutes the inferior warm water lobster whenever they feel like it. It’s convenient to say it is a supply chain issue when it’s also clearly a much cheaper option. 

• Like 1

…also, on our last Zaandam cruise the server insisted the lobster tail was a Maine tail but also said that lots of customers had complained about it being tough so offered me three of the 5 ounce tails instead. They were fine. I never actually saw what they were serving as the 12 ounce tail but if it was “tough” it was either improperly prepared or was a warm water tail (that was improperly prepared). Overcooking lobster will make it tough. The best way is to have it steamed and not broiled and only cooked to medium done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I believe on our 51 days at sea on Rotterdam, I had 7 Morimoto lobsters and 4 Morimoto halibut.

20240113_175251.thumb.jpg.d2fc4c5d6221b65fb30b577d2738f041.jpg

We had multiple meals at Pinnacle. I normally chose halibut, but one night ordered lobster and check the difference!

20240108_170454.thumb.jpg.c2c1a99fdbfb39251289ccbc7dfed22d.jpg

Looking at the 2 pictures above the top picture is the Atlantic (Americans like to call "Maine") lobster. The bottom photo is Spiny (Rock) Lobster, note the large white spot on the shell.

I don't think the bottom lobster has been anywhere near a broiler.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Well, I  can eat Asian food till the cows come home, but it would be nice to see some French cuisine onboard. Or German. If it's an addition to Tamarind, that's duplicitous.

Would a Greek taverna be too much to hope for?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Looking at the 2 pictures above the top picture is the Atlantic (Americans like to call "Maine") lobster. The bottom photo is Spiny (Rock) Lobster, note the large white spot on the shell.

I don't think the bottom lobster has been anywhere near a broiler.

Had lobster in Canelletto as well. I don't know the lobster names.. the only one I was not crazy about was the weird looking one in PG.

20231129_174316.jpg

20231214_180402.jpg

20231223_173612.jpg

20231230_175549.jpg

20231220_174810.jpg

20231208_181126.jpg

20231217_180822.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While the Mariner’s program says:”Does not apply to already discounted dining packages, special events, theme dinners and all “Pop-Up” Restaurants.” I can say that in the past certain “special events” we have attended had the 5* discount applied. The most recent being a New Years Day brunch in Pinnacle on Zaandam. Another HAL inconsistency. 

So, while I don’t expect them to give the discount at our upcoming Morimoto dinner on Eurodam I would not be shocked if they did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding booking the Morimoto "pop up", we were able to book on the HAL web site for both an April cruise on the Koningsdam and one for a June Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam last week.

We always enjoy any "pop-ups", mystery nights, chef's Table dinners and such. Oner eally needs to eyeball announcements, the daily newsletter and chatting with the dining room managers and waiters regarding any upcoming special meals that have yet to be formally announced in order to get in 'on the action' and before the dinners get sold out.

The menu looks great. Thanks for posting. Enjoy!

Safe Travels and Be Well!

Bob

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding the Morimoto menu in this post. The one pictured is from Tamarind (referenced as the menu on our upcoming cruise aboard the Nieuw Statendam). I am sailing next week and booked the Morimoto pop-up. We also booked Tamarind. I am hoping that the menu for Morimoto isn't the same as Tamarind.  Is there an accurate menu somewhere for Morimoto? Did HAL make a mistake posting the menu for Tamarind?

Thanks. Suzi

Edited by Sailfish

Morimoto pop up menu for the Tamarind on Rotterdam in early April 2024. Note that this menu is different from the standalone Morimoto restaurant on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

morimoto-by-sea(1)_00000_updated.thumb.png.738dc5a9d56fb8003c2cffa42f9da4c3.png

morimoto-by-sea(1)_00001_updated.thumb.png.2a0c10d54fccfb74eae15f056588ac36.png

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 1

On K'dam this New Years, the paper I signed and the TV/Navigator statement reflected my Mariner discount for New Years brunch. A few days later, that was credited and a full price charge showed up (all 3 entries were visible - the original Mariner price, the credit of original charge and new higher charge). When I questioned it, I was told the discount was given in error and per the policy, specials do not qualify for Mariner discount (quoted by @Real NHDOC  post #41) my statement was being adjusted to reflect the full price. So if you gt a discount, congrats and enjoy,  but shouldn't expect one.

• Like 1