Flight check in with no wifi on ship

SRch

Just wondering if people without wifi package are able to check in for flights home on last day of cruise ( sea day) and if there are any options for printing boarding passes.  Can’t justify the $500 celebrity wants us to pay for wifi package. Also does the celebrity app work if you don’t have wifi. 

You can ask Guest Relations to print the boarding passes for you as I have done in the past.  Sometimes you will have complimentary wifi access too.  Check with Guest Relations on that.  You could also ask someone who has access to do it for you as a favorite.  

• Like 1

The Celebrity app works without purchasing a WiFi package. 

You can check in when your ship arrives at the port and you have cell coverage. Or you can check in at the airport. You don’t need to print a boarding pass, they can scan it from your phone. If you want a printed copy there are kiosks at the airport. 

• Like 3

On a recent cruise, we made friends…most happened to have ship wifi, on one of the last few days I asked if I could use their phone/wifi to check in for our flight.  We agreed to meet at the specific airline check in time (with all of our pertinent info).

If that hadn’t worked, we were going to ask about a 1 day wifi pass (which our last cruise with RC did have).

Otherwise we were planning to use the cruise port terminal free wifi when we arrived.

Unless you're on Southwest - or you book tickets that don't allow you to select your seat at the time of booking or there's another airline like Southwest that does cattle call boarding - there's no reason you HAVE to check in 24 hours in advance.

And even if you do fly Southwest, just spring for Early Bird. They do it for you.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

That works if you're in your home country and have a data plan, or are willing to pay for roaming data.

From their posting history they are Canadians flying out of Florida on American Airlines. I fly American all the time. Checking in ahead would be nice but is not necessary. They can use free WiFi at the airport or a check in kiosk or a counter.  Probably have bags too. So they can’t just walk to the gates anyway. If they want check in at sea they should talk to the Captains Club host. They might do it or guest relations. 

Edited by Charles4515

I’ll disagree with the posts about not having to check in prior. It’s a good idea to go through the check-in at the time you are allowed. Dont have to print passes, but I check in as soon as it is available. 

Why? If there is any issues with the reservation, the ticket or the flight, that is the time to fix it and to know.

In Oct, I booked through Viking for a flight to ATL then to Paris and onto Bordeaux. Prior, all looked just fine. The Sat afternoon, 24hrs prior to my Delta flt, I checked in but it would not allow me to finalize. Kept going ‘errror’ after completing everything. 

Called Delta and after 1+hr of working with the agent and being switched to a supervisor, was told to contact the booking agent. Called Viking Air and that was another hr and they switched me to Viking Emergency Air. They had to reticket my reservations and it took a while Again. Got it done but it took almost 3hrs on the phone.

If Id waited and done this at the desk prior to flight…..yeah, no way of making it. 

Realize this isnt common, but especially if you are flying and using Partner airlines (had Delta and Air France), and so on, there can be issues. 

So just as I check in as soon as I can for by cruise, I check in As Soon As Possible for my flights. 

This wasnt the first time…not common, but…….

den

Yes, the Computer Center allows us to use the computers for that specific need. You can also sign up and pay for a set amount of use time there. Been a while since I used them, but it was handy before. Its where they teach some of the tech classes.

Den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

That works if you're in your home country and have a data plan, or are willing to pay for roaming data.

I was surprised to see that I get free US roaming when my mobile plan switched from Shaw to Rogers. I didn’t pay a penny extra on our last trip to the US. Only sharing that because sometimes mobile plans meet what others are offering. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Yes we are Canadian but will try to get cell coverage for US. Normally I wouldn’t worry but this summer my sister in law who refuses to uses a computer was put on standby because she didn’t do online check in and waited until she got to airport. So just want to be proactive. It has been so long since we travelled that I am out of practice and stressing out more than normal.

29 minutes ago, SRch said:

Thanks everyone. Yes we are Canadian but will try to get cell coverage for US. Normally I wouldn’t worry but this summer my sister in law who refuses to uses a computer was put on standby because she didn’t do online check in and waited until she got to airport. So just want to be proactive. It has been so long since we travelled that I am out of practice and stressing out more than normal.

I think guest services or the person working in the ilounge computer center will be able to help you check in and print your boarding passes.

Hope you have a great flight and a wonderful cruise 🚢.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

If you have assigned seats, what’s the big deal of checking in at the airport? Unless you have Luggage Valet you have to drop your bags anyway, if you have to drop off bags.

saves time cecking in ahead for SW Air.. ( no assigned seats)

You have your boarding pass in hand!

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

saves time cecking in ahead for SW Air.. ( no assigned seats)

You have your boarding pass in hand!

In the unlikely event I ever give Southwest a third chance (first chance was an awful delay caused by them electing to do something - but not allowing us to leave the airport in case they changed their minds; second (on the voucher from the first) was another ridiculous delay (longer than the first) again caused by something they elected to do that even the pilot admitted was not necessary), if I were flying them after a cruise I'd buy the early bird check-in. No way would I trust shippernet for that.

24 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

In the unlikely event I ever give Southwest a third chance (first chance was an awful delay caused by them electing to do something - but not allowing us to leave the airport in case they changed their minds; second (on the voucher from the first) was another ridiculous delay (longer than the first) again caused by something they elected to do that even the pilot admitted was not necessary), if I were flying them after a cruise I'd buy the early bird check-in. No way would I trust shippernet for that.

Where I live now and where I used to live Southwest and American were the main choices. I always do Early Bird. Also I have a Southwest Credit Card  That includes some Early Bird boardings. So the card pays for itself as they give points every year. Chase Reserve is transfer partner. If you pay with points and cancel all points are returned. No luggage fees. I have not paid cash for a Southwest Flight in 10 years. Points paid for all my flights. So the seating works out I always get the aisle seat which I prefer. Oh and on Southwest I don'have to book round trip. I can book one way. Even when I am doing a round trip I book each flight separately Ultimate flexibility. I can put up with the seating for that. In the last ten years I have not had any major delay. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Where I live now and where I used to live Southwest and American were the main choices. I always do Early Bird. Also I have a Southwest Credit Card  That includes some Early Bird boardings. So the card pays for itself as they give points every year. Chase Reserve is transfer partner. If you pay with points and cancel all points are returned. No luggage fees. I have not paid cash for a Southwest Flight in 10 years. Points paid for all my flights. So the seating works out I always get the aisle seat which I prefer. Oh and on Southwest I don'have to book round trip. I can book one way. Even when I am doing a round trip I book each flight separately Ultimate flexibility. I can put up with the seating for that. In the last ten years I have not had any major delay. 

You're very lucky.

First time was 5 hours stuck at the airport (when my parents live 10 minutes away and could have come to get me - but they kept saying "We could change things and start boarding any time.").

Second was 6.5 hours stuck.

Those are really bad tastes to get out of my mouth.

11 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I was surprised to see that I get free US roaming when my mobile plan switched from Shaw to Rogers. I didn’t pay a penny extra on our last trip to the US. Only sharing that because sometimes mobile plans meet what others are offering. 

We have T-Mobile (US) and we have unlimited data, text, and phone in Canada and Mexico, and unlimited text and data in 200+ countries plus $0.25/minute calls.

• Like 1

I strongly suggest buying the wifi for the day prior or for 24 hours.  In case there is an issue with your flight, check-in and to also keep track of incoming flight for any delay issues.  Reason I say this is it's happened to us a few times and luckily we were able to adjust as we had wifi.  Had our Vancouver to PHL flight moved to 7am in 2022, and other flights times adjusted.  Yes, it isn't often but it does happen.  Even though we have seats, occasionally some good ones will open up so why not try to snag them early?  We also have gotten upgraded this way once on a flight back from San Juan to first class because, again, we had wifi.

11 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Lately nothing seems reliable...so sad.

We have our bad expetiences with SW air but it has improved somewhat.

Our local airport ONLY has SW Air to the places in Florida we need to access. ..and we must change at Baltimore which we hate.  Involves a very long walk from 2 gates very far apart often with little time to spare.

Only plus is we are 10 min drive from the airport and get resident parking a short walk to the terminal. 

To get better flights means a car service to JFK or LaGuardia..Ugh!

Or flying to airports in Fl that are hours away from our destinstion.

good luck!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Lately nothing seems reliable...so sad.

We have our bad expetiences with SW air but it has improved somewhat.

Our local airport ONLY has SW Air to the places in Florida we need to access. ..and we must change at Baltimore which we hate.  Involves a very long walk from 2 gates very far apart often with little time to spare.

Only plus is we are 10 min drive from the airport and get resident parking a short walk to the terminal. 

To get better flights means a car service to JFK or LaGuardia..Ugh!

Or flying to airports in Fl that are hours away from our destinstion.

good luck!

Yeah...even it I were to consider SW again, it's a nope for anything to Florida because there are no non-stops even from LGA.

Sadly it's getting harder and harder to find non-stops - even on American most have a stop in Charlotte. So it's usually United or Delta...or maybe JetBlue, but that tends to be the most expensive. I hate connecting flights - way too much can go wrong.