Optimum side for Balcony Room

Acorn27

Looking to book a round trip cruise from Vancouver to Whittier on the Royal Princess (Voyage of the Glaciers) ... if we choose a balcony room, is there a better side of the ship to get our room on?  Are there more viewing opportunities over the 14 days on one side of the ship versus the other or are they about the same?

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I'll disagree slightly.  On a northbound cruise, I generally recommend a starboard balcony.  

For the OP, let me explain further.  Princess Royal Class ships do not cruise the Inside Passage, so you'll be cruising outside of Vancouver Island.  Also, once north of Glacier Bay, all the way until you enter Prince William Sound, all the land will be off starboard, including amazing sights of Mt St Elias, and other huge peaks and coastal glaciers.

Sure, all this can be seen on top decks but since you asked the question, I'll maintain that starboard is best for your route.  

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

For the OP, let me explain further.  Princess Royal Class ships do not cruise the Inside Passage, so you'll be cruising outside of Vancouver Island.  Also, once north of Glacier Bay, all the way until you enter Prince William Sound, all the land will be off starboard, including amazing sights of Mt St Elias, and other huge peaks and coastal glaciers.

Sure, all this can be seen on top decks but since you asked the question, I'll maintain that starboard is best for your route.  

The OP is doing a round trip; I'd say the side of the ship doesn't much matter and I don't expect you'd advocate starboard side Nbound and port side Sbound.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The OP is doing a round trip; I'd say the side of the ship doesn't much matter and I don't expect you'd advocate starboard side Nbound and port side Sbound.

You are correct, and that was an oversight on my reading.  Whoops.  😉  For some reason, I read it and was thinking one-way.  

On 11/19/2023 at 7:00 PM, maggiev said:

I’m thinking just book an Aft view cabin & you’ll get the best views? (Being able to see both sides?)

As a hobby photographer, I sail only in aft-view staterooms to see both sides of the ship without having to leave my stateroom.