The problem with Starlink….

Wonky

Is that some people can’t seem to go without having a loud phone or video call!

Now I’m quite a heavy internet user so Starlink has been great for us but surely people would have the common sense to  have their calls away from relaxing areas?

Perhaps cruise lines need to follow airlines and say as a courtesy to fellow passengers no calls?

Rant over!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wonky said:

That has nothing to do with being on a cruise ship - those people have to have their loud phone conversations wherever they happen to be - especially in the supermarket. I have absolutely no interest in what "little Johnny" had for his dinner last night when I am trying to do my shopping.

And I don't really think that you can blame it on Starlink

• Like 2

I had a Zoom work meeting while on my September cruise and the WiFi reception in our Britannia room was awful so ended up in a quiet corner in the Commodore Club which didn't stay quiet for long. Jane was policing me and apologising to the people who came and sat by me - I would have used the Admirals Lounge, but the cruise director films their piece for the morning in there in the afternoon.

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

Now I’m quite a heavy internet user so Starlink has been great for us but surely people would have the common sense to  have their calls away from relaxing areas?

Perhaps cruise lines need to follow airlines and say as a courtesy to fellow passengers no calls?

Rant over!

I believe your rant is worthwhile as the lines between work and relaxing are even more blurred with better technology via Starlink. There is a nice feeling of being disconnected once onboard. 
We all need to disciple ourselves not have the urge to be online all the time. Me included!!

• Like 2

Being completely offline is one of the great draws of a TA for us. I know some people must be in occasional touch with work, and I am sorry for that. But the atmosphere will be ruined for us once we can’t get away from cell phone conversations everywhere. I hope it doesn’t come to that!

• Like 2

Does Cunard allow casual bookings by passengers of the Connexions conference rooms for an hour or two?  (On QE/QV, located off the grand lobby on deck 1, on QM2 forward on deck 2)  I think the WiFi might be good in these rooms, and someone needing to make a video call could do so in privacy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Having a "zoom" business "meeting" in a public room?  I might suggest the problem with Starlink is that it even faciliates such a thing in the first place. 

Irrespective of the fact a public zoom business meeting is potentially disturbing to others, it's hardly good practise to conduct business in public.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Irrespective of the fact a public zoom business meeting is potentially disturbing to others, it's hardly good practise to conduct business in public.

Surely you aren’t suggesting that such an enterprise might have things they would wish to keep hidden?

Just now, exlondoner said:

Surely you aren’t suggesting that such an enterprise might have things they would wish to keep hidden?

Not a clue. However, having overheard conversations on the train where names were named and  actions going forward discussed, if it had been an employee of the company my husband was with, they would have faced the sack or at the very least, disciplinary action.

Do not discuss business in  a public setting.

The lack of communication with the outside world was THE reason we started our cruise life. Once the company found out how expensive it was to phone the ship, they soon left us alone.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Not a clue. However, having overheard conversations on the train where names were named and  actions going forward discussed, if it had been an employee of the company my husband was with, they would have faced the sack or at the very least, disciplinary action.

Do not discuss business in  a public setting.

The lack of communication with the outside world was THE reason we started our cruise life. Once the company found out how expensive it was to phone the ship, they soon left us alone.

Sorry, my comment was intended as ironic. But now I think about it, it was unclear what it was aimed at. I was implying both the idea that corporations may occasionally behave nefariously, and the idea that organisations are not good at keeping confidentiality where they should. So it was pretty stupid really.

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry, my comment was intended as ironic. But now I think about it, it was unclear what it was aimed at. I was implying both the idea that corporations may occasionally behave nefariously, and the idea that organisations are not good at keeping confidentiality where they should. So it was pretty stupid really.

I guess it depends on the organisation. They don't all leak like a sieve.

Talking about loud conversations reminded me of the time I was on a train and the lady in the seat behind me was in full panic mode.  She was a lawyer on her way to London for a case and had forgotten her files/notes!!!!!  I often wonder what happened to her client.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

You ironic? You need to explain that!

• Haha 3

Really were never bothered by other passenger conversations in the past.

Don't know if Starlink encourages more conversations in the open with a better connection.

When my DW conducted business on board, I would remind her of others around and step away for her privacy also.

Won't know till our sailing in 2025

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the Nov 19th TA, in the late afternoon of embarkation day, I was relaxing in the Commodore Club; it was relatively full and people were walking through who were exploring the ship.  Two British ladies were sitting next to me and the next thing I know one of them is Facetiming her husband with a running commentary of her embarkation, the CC lounge and she stood up to provide a panoramic shot of the CC; while she started off in a quiet voice, his volume was quite loud and as she described their afternoon, her voice got louder and louder.  I walked over and asked her if she would do that outside the lounge; she was astounded and said "I'm saying goodbye to my husband and showing him the ship"; I said "I understand but this is a sophisticated, quiet space and you're quite loud"; I went back to my seat and she said to husband (who said "who's that") "some stupid woman".  Fine, I can handle that.  The couple on the other side of she & her friend got up and moved to seats on the other side of me and said "thank you - I wanted to say something" as they re-settled.  The friend was silent and the women lowered her voice and disconnected quickly.  

As an aside, I noticed she and her friend remove their stateroom bottle of Pol Acker from their hand bag and open it; then realized they had brought the glass flutes from their cabin and glasses of cranberry juice from the Kings Court with them - that is so tacky!  I have no problem with people bringing their favorite beverage on board to drink in their cabin but to bring it to a lounge - along with glasses and mixers - is unacceptable.  They were happy to accept the crisps the bar server provided and he will have to clean up their stuff.  To my thinking, if you can afford to be on a cruise, you can afford to buy a drink in the lounge.  I have this seen this low-life approach on more mass market lines, but not on Cunard.  To finish this, i saw them later that evening as I was exiting the side elevator (that goes from Deck 8-11) and they were looking for the Deck 11 outside viewing area, so I said "it's just to the left" and as I walked through the door, one of them said "that's her, that's the one".  Too funny.  Then, on the day before we reached Brooklyn, I was waiting for an elevator and they got off one and said "that's her, that's her" and as they stopped on the stair landing to stare at me; I was so amused that I stared back and waved at them - no wave or smile back, just turned away.  And these women were 50+ years old but acting like children.  I wonder if they'll be back on Cunard...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I believe staff will have to be trained to remind pax that there are other pax who do not want to hear work Zoom calls, running video commentaries, and loud conversations with those onshore. Fellow passengers should not be the ones to feel responsible to remind others of proper etiquette and behavior in a public space. 
Hopefully more people will use more discreet texting than broadcasting their journey for all to hear. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

I believe staff will have to be trained to remind pax that there are other pax who do not want to hear work Zoom calls, running video commentaries, and loud conversations with those onshore. Fellow passengers should not be the ones to feel responsible to remind others of proper etiquette and behavior in a public space. 
Hopefully more people will use more discreet texting than broadcasting their journey for all to hear. 

Anyway I thought this wondrous new system was supposed to work brilliantly from cabins, so no need to use public places.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NE John said:

proper etiquette and behavior in a public space

There are some who would argue that using a mobile phone in a public space is, in this day and age, perfectly correct behaviour and it is those who object that are out of step. (For the record I am not one of those!)

I was in the supermarket this morning and there was a woman having an in depth conversation on her phone totally oblivious that there were other people around!

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

There are some who would argue that using a mobile phone in a public space is, in this day and age, perfectly correct behaviour and it is those who object that are out of step. (For the record I am not one of those!)

I was in the supermarket this morning and there was a woman having an in depth conversation on her phone totally oblivious that there were other people around!

Commuter trains when people are taking highly detailed business deals and that info should really be kept in the boardroom. Dumb and rude. 

My whole point is that passengers need to escalate abuse of technology in public places so Cunard knows the extend of the complaints, trains the crew to respond to complaints, and keeps us from being the sheriff of the Commodore Club etc.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Anyway I thought this wondrous new system was supposed to work brilliantly from cabins, so no need to use public places.

There are enough Hyacinth Buckets around that feel the need to share their time onboard with everyone in their orbit, all to the detriment of us just wanting to chill out in a public venue. Those Hyacinth’s can’t do that from their cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NE John said:

There are enough Hyacinth Buckets around that feel the need to share their time onboard with everyone in their orbit, all to the detriment of us just wanting to chill out in a public venue. Those Hyacinth’s can’t do that from their cabin. 

Indeed you the same happens on the train to Waterloo. 🙂 Some people seem to talk so loudly that they appear to be trying to banish the need for a phone.

• Haha 1

On QE last week at dinner  a man at the next table in the restaurant took a phone call which lasted around 15 minutes.  His companion was left staring into space.  The Head Waiter was not impressed and informed us he would have a word when he had finished.

As soon as the call ended the man left the restaurant.  Why did he not do so when he initially took the call.