Report on Aurora Northern lights cruise Nov 2023

pete14

39 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I am not sure everybody is being serious in their remarks. Of course Santa will arrive in good time, dispensing good cheer, turkey and a fine stuffing to go with it. If the skies are clear for Stokiegolfer in Alta, Rudolph’s nose may be clearly visible alongside the green in the sky, that would make a good photo which I expect to see on here.

By the way, Stokiegolfer may appreciate the fact that the crockery on P&O is made by Dudson and that in Sindhu by a subsidiary of Churchill. You can always tell if somebody is from the fine city of Stoke on Trent, because whenever they have a plate put in front of them, they always look underneath it to see whether it is of sufficient quality to be made in the Potteries, or at least for a company based there. 

I always find that sea days towards the end of a cruise lack the anticipation and excitement of those at the beginning. Once you have drunk your way through the wine list, sampled everything off the breakfast menu, had your fill of singers and comedians etc, some of the magic dissipates. There has been a sense of that today, which we have tried to dispel. We had the Tiffin Box lunch in Sindhu which was excellent, highly recommended. I was actually allowed to sit where the Captain sits for breakfast which for sad minded people like me was quite a thrill. For the first time in living memory, we chose not to observe formal night (to give it it’s old name) and ate in the Glasshouse. What a good decision! As with all speciality restaurants we have tried, it was excellent in every respect. Service was brilliant, the food was superbly presented and tasted great, the extra cost, even bearing in mind we had already paid to eat in the MDR, was a bargain and, to the delight of some on here, I had a glass of Peller Ice as an aperitif. This drinks package is very handy. 

Pete junior has a bit of a penchant for nice watches. I committed a great error in allowing him to look at what the jeweller was selling (not that I could stop him as he is taller, more well built and of course younger than me). They actually had one he really likes which, even before Peninsular Club discount, was considerably cheaper than reputable dealers online were charging so he took the plunge and treated himself. I am sure they will be very happy together and I am pleased he seemed to get a bargain. 

There is currently a singer in the theatre who I don’t really have any great desire to listen to, so am writing this whilst she is thrilling the audience with her obvious vocal dexterity (or something similar). Then another chunk of the book I am reading about a Norwegian private investigator before an early night to catch up on my sleep. If Selbourne has any of his giant can of WD40 left, perhaps he can airlift it to us because, nice as though Aurora is, she doesn’t half creak with every breath of wind, especially if the sea is rougher than the average millpond, which it has been since last night. Motion Discomfort Receptacles are hanging from the banisters. 

I wish that I’d agreed a commission deal with Peller wines for the number of people I’ve persuaded to try their Ice Cuvée 😂 I hope that you enjoyed it?

Earlier today I stumbled cross a small travel sized can of WD40 in the cupboard. That’s going in the case for our long cruise on Aurora 😂 

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wish that I’d agreed a commission deal with Peller wines for the number of people I’ve persuaded to try their Ice Cuvée 😂 I hope that you enjoyed it?

Earlier today I stumbled cross a small travel sized can of WD40 in the cupboard. That’s going in the case for our long cruise on Aurora 😂 

I did enjoy it thanks. 

I don’t think a small travel sized can of WD 40 will be sufficient, lovely ship though she is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

I don’t think a small travel sized can of WD 40 will be sufficient, lovely ship though she is.

That’s true. The maintenance guy who sorted out our creaky cabin on Ventura had an industrial sized can of WD40. I’m guessing that they use it a lot 😂 

• Like 4

Thank you Pete for all your details on board I’m very interested in the Tiffin box in sindu and the glass house on Aurora, I have already booked the beach house for our cruise next week but obviously leaving sindu for when we get on board and possibly the glass house for lunch on boarding day if it is open, not sure when you get back but I’m currently packing for boarding on Friday when aurora goes to the canaries but really wished we were going to Norway and being in lots of snow, maybe I could be a stowaway on the one after us 😂 enjoy the rest of your cruise 

• Like 5

@pete14 Thanks Pete for your ever so helpful blog. I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts and musings whilst on board.  I last went on Aurora in 2017, with my granddaughter, before Aurora became an adults-only ship. We did a Christmas cruise with loads of snow and it was magic. We both loved Aurora.

Enjoy your last few days and I hope Pete Junior and his watch will be very happy together.

Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 7

11 hours ago, pete14 said:

You can always tell if somebody is from the fine city of Stoke on Trent, because whenever they have a plate put in front of them, they always look underneath it to see whether it is of sufficient quality to be made in the Potteries, or at least for a company based there. 

And you can always tell which are their table companions, because they’re all wearing oilskins!

Thanks for all your reports, Pete. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pete14 said:

You can always tell if somebody is from the fine city of Stoke on Trent, because whenever they have a plate put in front of them, they always look underneath it to see whether it is of sufficient quality to be made in the Potteries, or at least for a company based there. 

I laughed out loud when I read this because it is so true 🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you Pete for all your details on board I’m very interested in the Tiffin box in sindu and the glass house on Aurora, I have already booked the beach house for our cruise next week but obviously leaving sindu for when we get on board and possibly the glass house for lunch on boarding day if it is open, not sure when you get back but I’m currently packing for boarding on Friday when aurora goes to the canaries but really wished we were going to Norway and being in lots of snow, maybe I could be a stowaway on the one after us 😂 enjoy the rest of your cruise 

The tiffin lunch is not every day, in fact I think yesterday was the only day it was scheduled. On Aurora, Sindhu is quite small so does get booked up quickly. Quality of the experience is excellent. We get back on Monday. Between then and your cruise, it is doing a short Amsterdam cruise. I think the glasshouse opens on boarding day but not at lunchtime. We had a very enjoyable meal in there last night. I am getting a bit disillusioned with the MDR evening meal which I may say more about later. Quality is fine but choice is poor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pete yes I always check who makes the tableware. First cruise on Ventura we went in the Epicurean and was disappointed to see it was Villeroy and Boch.  Having worked in the industry for 45 years - a company who supplied materials etc, it was interesting and very changeable. Glad to be retired now to enjoy the golf and cruising.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stokiegolfer said:

Hi Pete yes I always check who makes the tableware. First cruise on Ventura we went in the Epicurean and was disappointed to see it was Villeroy and Boch.  Having worked in the industry for 45 years - a company who supplied materials etc, it was interesting and very changeable. Glad to be retired now to enjoy the golf and cruising.

If you don’t mind me asking (shame there is not a pm facility on here), can you give me a clue where you play? Doesn’t matter if you don’t want to but just curious.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stokiegolfer said:

Hi Pete at the moment I am a member at porthmadog as we have a caravan there. I may look to join Trentham Park when we decide to get rid of the caravan.

As some / many on here know, we have caravan near Abergele. Have played there, in the shade of the ‘I’m a Celebrity’ castle a couple of times with mixed success.

Greetings from Whitebridge Wines from those of you who I know visit here and those we are tempting to join us some time for a CC meet up. An excellent wine tasting event ... just need to eat now and then sleep !!

Edited by Presto2
Wrong thead
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry put this on the wrong thread. Not sure of it can be moved over to the what's happening one?

Seems as though Whitebridge wine tasting was even better than we thought it might have been.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Seems as though Whitebridge wine tasting was even better than we thought it might have been.

I'd sobered up by then ..... I think. 

Last day today am guessing. Hope the force 8 isn't causing too much disruption.

Edited by Presto2

Sorry for no update yesterday, the internet was down again. As it was sold to us as new improved internet, I feel somewhat underwhelmed by it although most of the time it has been just about OK. For days when it isn’t working, and this was the second, so 20%, it seems as though you have to report it to reception in order to get the day refunded.

Not a great deal to report from yesterday. Haugesund was quite nice although the shopping streets seemed a bit run down. Made me a bit homesick really. About 3/4 of a mile walk into town. It transpired as though there were shuttle buses but not advertised in Horizon, and judging by the number walking into town, including those with mobility issues, not widely known about. Although the temperature was about 5 degrees, there were icy patches on the pavement so we didn’t see all the town has to offer for fear of breaking an ankle or something. 

We ate in the Glasshouse again in preference to the MDR which we have lost some faith in. Menu choices are very limited, the ability to tweak dishes to meet dietary requirements known about in advance is still lacking (why the need for a low fat diet means Christmas dinner came without stuffing and cranberry sauce defeats me) and only partially cooking potato products of various types is not really acceptable. Pheasant breast was on the menu again last night. I only hope it was more easily edible than a few nights ago. 

To end on some good and surprising news, even though we sailing between the South of Norwayish and the North of Scotladish, we were able to see patches of the Northern Lights, accentuated with the camera on my phone. Not as impressive as further North but a bit of a surprise. 

Anyway, next stop is Southampton tomorrow morning and the ship has that sort of feel about it. At least Pete junior’s watch is keeping good time.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I'd sobered up by then ..... I think. 

Last day today am guessing. Hope the force 8 isn't causing too much disruption.

Although we had a bit of a swell for a couple of days, it is currently calm with what I would call a stiff breeze, contrary to what I saw on the shipping forecast yesterday before the internet stopped. Hopefully, it will continue like this.

• Like 3