Bring own 1 cup coffee maker onboard?

KKB

I'm GUESSING I can't but figured I'll ask...

I have a lightweight coffee maker I take to Vegas...was wondering if they will let me bring that onboard or will it be confiscated?

Since I won't have the drink package this time, I'm looking for ways to get some decent coffee...

1 hour ago, KKB said:

I have a lightweight coffee maker I take to Vegas...was wondering if they will let me bring that onboard or will it be confiscated?

Since I won't have the drink package this time, I'm looking for ways to get some decent coffee...

I've seen french press brought on, but who wants the mess.

Electric is what is prohibited. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It will get confiscated, but you can bring creamers to make the coffee better.

I use them in my cabin 1 leaked during flight so they had to be rinsed off) 20230917_074455.thumb.jpg.42374632bcc5612beb2e22f0120e58ab.jpgand take them to MDR and Lido.20230925_070130.thumb.jpg.d89b413c455e20a7569688fd1b855e1e.jpg 

I figured...worth an ask!

Yep I bring those.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KKB said:

Bring coffee pods and use them like tea bags.  I like  Melitta Medium Roast Soft Pods.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KKB said:

I am bringing my coffee press with me. It is not electric and it is a 1 cup serving size. Take it to buffet and pour hot water over it. Good Luck. I am a coffee snob.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Mostly correct but there are a few things with heating elements that have an exemption and are allowed. (hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons)

Which is detailed on Carnival's FAQ page. No sense in us duplicating Carnival's effort.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

On our cruise last week, one of our friends was telling someone they bring a one cup Keurig machine on the cruise.  Based on the above statements I am surprised it didn't get confiscated.

They got lucky - one day their luck will run out.

• Like 2

Just now, mz-s said:

They got lucky - one day their luck will run out.

I have been on 4 cruises with them since the restart and evidently they have done this on every cruise.  I had no idea.  I will definitely let them know it may get confiscated on our next cruise.

1 minute ago, dallasdan said:

I have been on 4 cruises with them since the restart and evidently they have done this on every cruise.  I had no idea.  I will definitely let them know it may get confiscated on our next cruise.

My guess is that small Keurig has such a small heating element it isn't really triggering anything in the machine, so they don't notice what it is and just wave the bag through. I wouldn't want their machine to get confiscated so yes definitely let them know!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

My guess is that small Keurig has such a small heating element it isn't really triggering anything in the machine, so they don't notice what it is and just wave the bag through. I wouldn't want their machine to get confiscated so yes definitely let them know!

If (and I don't know!) the heating element in a (forbidden) one cup Keurig is the same size as a curling iron or flat iron (allowed) how is that fair to those of us are more interested in a decent cup of coffee than our hairdo? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

If (and I don't know!) the heating element in a (forbidden) one cup Keurig is the same size as a curling iron or flat iron (allowed) how is that fair to those of us are more interested in a decent cup of coffee than our hairdo? 

listen lady, I don’t make the rules 🤪

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, e150club said:

A one cup coffee pot uses a lot less wattage then a blow dryer or flat iron. 

I don't think it is wattage that directly concerns them, it is the opportunity to start a fire if left unattended.  Hair dryers are obvious things that make noise when powered so usually don't have a cutoff timer, but I'm hoping (!) most curling irons and hair straighteners have a cutoff timer.

Coffee pots are all over the place on this.

It could also be the propensity to make a mess increases with coffee pots, so Carnival bans them for that reason too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I don't think it is wattage that directly concerns them, it is the opportunity to start a fire if left unattended.  Hair dryers are obvious things that make noise when powered so usually don't have a cutoff timer, but I'm hoping (!) most curling irons and hair straighteners have a cutoff timer.

Coffee pots are all over the place on this.

It could also be the propensity to make a mess increases with coffee pots, so Carnival bans them for that reason too.

Good point well taken. 

On 11/16/2023 at 4:38 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They are allowed , but Hair dryers, flat irons and curling irons all make nasty tasting coffee🤪

True, but at least the flat iron makes a great grilled cheese....

I always grind some of my preferred the night before I leave home and pack a one cup Melita kit. I "borrow" a carafe from the first day room service, which I fill with hot water at the lido. This has always served me well on other lines, but on the Miracle the water was never hot enough to make a good brew when I got back to my room. Might be the plastic carafe, or perhaps the ship keeps the temps down to "insure the safety and well-being" of the pax.

It's still better than the bilge water served on board. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:40 AM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

You can make any arrangements you want for why you should be allowed to bring your own coffee maker, but it all comes down to 'Their boat, their rules'🙄

Not making any "arrangements" (or arguments, lol) it was just a point of curiosity since flat irons and curling irons seem at least as dangerous.

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Not making any "arrangements" (or arguments, lol) it was just a point of curiosity since flat irons and curling irons seem at least as dangerous.

Most (all?) flat irons, curling irons, etc, have auto-off built in so they don't start fires (anymore). Coffee pots generally don't.