Jump to content

Final payment timing has changed


Cruisedreamer1
 Share

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Does this new policy also affect all the “placeholder” cruises people book while aboard ship to just cancel later after the find another new cruise? We bought Future Cruise Certificates in the past, never placeholders.

 

I'm pretty sure the standard cancellation policy applies to cruises booked on board as well. The only difference is that you are eligible to one change, applied to the new cruise (plus price guarantee till the sailing date). And I actually like the new policy, it will hopefully eliminate or reduce those “placeholder".

 

P.S. you got to love those posters who post inaccurate and misleading information and when asked to provide any evidence or proof, they just go silent.. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

 

I'm pretty sure the standard cancellation policy applies to cruises booked on board as well. The only difference is that you are eligible to one change, applied to the new cruise (plus price guarantee till the sailing date). And I actually like the new policy, it will hopefully eliminate or reduce those “placeholder".

 

P.S. you got to love those posters who post inaccurate and misleading information and when asked to provide any evidence or proof, they just go silent.. 

So the one time free move is still in place? Unfortunate. I believe that is the largest source of placeholders, thus blocking the cruises from others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So the one time free move is still in place? Unfortunate. I believe that is the largest source of placeholders, thus blocking the cruises from others.

 

Last time we booked on board was in May, so maybe this has changed. But I think this is an important benefit of booking on board, personally I wouldn't want it to change. I think percentage of on board bookings is not that high, but those who book at home will not do it anymore. Also remember that you need to change to O cruise, while many people were booking “placeholders" on several lines.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So the one time free move is still in place? Unfortunate. I believe that is the largest source of placeholders, thus blocking the cruises from others.

You have to wonder if O actually likes the placeholders.  It gives the appearance of a more desirable, exclusive product, restricts supply and if they don't book up early enough with serious customers, they just hold a sale, or another sale, or a secret sale until they do.

Edited by shepherd really
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

You have to wonder if O actually likes the placeholders.  It gives the appearance of a more desirable, exclusive product, restricts supply and if they don't book up early enough with serious customers, they just hold a sale, or another sale, or a secret sale until they do.

I don’t understand placeholders. You get all the benefits from a FCCert! If one wants to book a placeholder, they should face the same cancellation fees as any one else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t understand placeholders. You get all the benefits from a FCCert! If one wants to book a placeholder, they should face the same cancellation fees as any one else.

Some people can't decide what they want to order in a restaurant, much less where they want to cruise two years in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t understand placeholders. You get all the benefits from a FCCert! If one wants to book a placeholder, they should face the same cancellation fees as any one else.

In September the extra OBC onboard was $100 for an FCC and $300 for an actual booking. Both had the one-time move feature. The FCC was exactly the same as before (i.e., fully refundable) at least as explained to me when I asked, but I'll believe it if I see it (although I'll probably use the FCC). The onboard rep was very clear about the new $150 per person cancellation policy for booked cruises. So the differences between FCC and actually booking are a possible difference in OBC (which is irrelevant if you are likely to take advantage of sales which are likely to be non-combinable with the OBC perk and the onboard discount) and possibly the initial cancellation fee.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
I've seen OBC as high as $500 onboard (last June)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

In September the extra OBC onboard was $100 for an FCC and $300 for an actual booking. Both had the one-time move feature. The FCC was exactly the same as before (i.e., fully refundable) at least as explained to me when I asked, but I'll believe it if I see it (although I'll probably use the FCC). The onboard rep was very clear about the new $150 per person cancellation policy for booked cruises. So the differences between FCC and actually booking are a possible difference in OBC (which is irrelevant if you are likely to take advantage of sales which are likely to be non-combinable with the OBC perk and the onboard discount) and possibly the initial cancellation fee.

 

Is the one-time move feature applicable till the sailing or only till the penalty period starts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

 

Is the one-time move feature applicable till the sailing or only till the penalty period starts?

One of the pros will need to answer this and even they may not know (except one super-pro) since the deposit/cancellation-fee changes are so recent. The FCC T&Cs say, "Once applied to a voyage, guests may utilize their one-time change-of-sailing prior to the cancellation penalty period of the voyage selected." However, cancellation fees are now immediate, so do they mean the new 180 day deadline or ______?

Here are the FCC T&Cs from September:

Terms & Conditions: Certificate is redeemable for up to one year from date of purchase towards deposit of
future voyage. Selected voyage may commence outside of one year. Certificate cancellations are fully refundable
up until expiration. If US$100 Shipboard Credit was given at the time this Certificate was purchased, this amount
will be withheld from the refund. After expiration date, the full value of the Certificate will be forfeited. If you need
to cancel after a voyage is selected, the standard booking terms and conditions will apply. Onboard Booking
Savings varies based on sailing date and stateroom/suite category selected, and is combinable with current
savings offers at time of voyage selection. Onboard Savings is applicable to Ocean View and higher categories.
Please note that not all promotions are combinable with Onboard Savings. Guests are encouraged to select their
preferred future sailing as early as possible to secure preferred pricing and stateroom availability.
Oceania/Vista/Owner’s Suites, Grand Voyages, combination (multiple segment) cruises, and guests from
Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Lichtenstein may require additional deposit, which will be due at the time your
voyage is selected. Certificate is exclusively available for purchase by onboard guests only and is
non-transferable. One Certificate maximum may be applied to a reservation. Once applied to a voyage, guests
may utilize their one-time change-of-sailing prior to the cancellation penalty period of the voyage selected.
Program is applicable to new bookings only and is not applicable to reservations booked prior to Future Cruise
Deposit certificate purchase. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any
and all fares, fees, promotions and surcharges at any time. Ships' Registry: Marshall Islands.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
Don't rely on memory...doh!
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t understand placeholders. You get all the benefits from a FCCert! If one wants to book a placeholder, they should face the same cancellation fees as any one else.

If you remember a few years ago there was a group of people, that were involved with a TA that was trying to manipulate the move up system and offer system by booking up desirable rooms and creating an environment where lucrative offers were made to some of those people. Eventually O caught on and some people were banned, all discussion of it was washed clean here on CC and Oceania revamped the move over, move up system. 

 

I might be a little off on some particulars, but that was the gist of it. You can thank people like that for the changes we've seen in final payment and penalties in the last 10 years or so. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ORV said:

If you remember a few years ago there was a group of people, that were involved with a TA that was trying to manipulate the move up system and offer system by booking up desirable rooms and creating an environment where lucrative offers were made to some of those people. Eventually O caught on and some people were banned, all discussion of it was washed clean here on CC and Oceania revamped the move over, move up system. 

 

I might be a little off on some particulars, but that was the gist of it. You can thank people like that for the changes we've seen in final payment and penalties in the last 10 years or so. 

Thanks ORV, I had forgotten about that. But it seems rather moot now since O slammed that door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2023 at 8:38 AM, pinotlover said:

I don’t understand placeholders...If one wants to book a placeholder, they should face the same cancellation fees as any one else.

 

On 11/18/2023 at 9:24 AM, shepherd really said:

Some people can't decide what they want to order in a restaurant, much less where they want to cruise two years in advance.

Speaking as a person who as canceled or changed a few bookings during our years with O, I don't understand pinotlover's lack of understanding.  Not everyone is being frivolous or unethical with their "placeholder" booking.  We book cruises we definitely want and intend to take; nothing to do with being unable to decide.  And because we always want a specific cabin category in a specific location, we need to book now even if the cruise is two years in advance.  I guess that makes us "placeholders."

 

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff happens between booking date and payment date.  In the past, cancelling or transferring the booking to a different cruise was free; now it isn't.  But the fees are not exorbitant (as long as the cancellation or switch is made before the 180-day mark) and we're willing to pay them just like anyone else.  What's not to understand?

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

 

Speaking as a person who as canceled or changed a few bookings during our years with O, I don't understand pinotlover's lack of understanding.  Not everyone is being frivolous or unethical with their "placeholder" booking.  We book cruises we definitely want and intend to take; nothing to do with being unable to decide.  And because we always want a specific cabin category in a specific location, we need to book now even if the cruise is two years in advance.  I guess that makes us "placeholders."

 

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff happens between booking date and payment date.  In the past, cancelling or transferring the booking to a different cruise was free; now it isn't.  But the fees are not exorbitant (as long as the cancellation or switch is made before the 180-day mark) and we're willing to pay them just like anyone else.  So, as Travis Bickle once said: "You talkin' to me?"

I perfectly understand your situation. We had to cancel a cruise and switched over to another one once. Things happen. I just believe that represents a small portion of the 3 cruises booked for each cruise taken statistics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

 

Speaking as a person who as canceled or changed a few bookings during our years with O, I don't understand pinotlover's lack of understanding.  Not everyone is being frivolous or unethical with their "placeholder" booking.  We book cruises we definitely want and intend to take; nothing to do with being unable to decide.  And because we always want a specific cabin category in a specific location, we need to book now even if the cruise is two years in advance.  I guess that makes us "placeholders."

 

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff happens between booking date and payment date.  In the past, cancelling or transferring the booking to a different cruise was free; now it isn't.  But the fees are not exorbitant (as long as the cancellation or switch is made before the 180-day mark) and we're willing to pay them just like anyone else.  What's not to understand?


I think what he meant by placeholders is people who book several cruises for the same period knowing in advance that they will be cancelling most of them. This blocks other people from booking. We also book two years in advance, but we book only cruises we really intend to take. Obviously things can change and we might be forced to cancel, but this is different from booking 4 cruises and knowing in advance that you will cancel 3 of them.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

 

Speaking as a person who as canceled or changed a few bookings during our years with O, I don't understand pinotlover's lack of understanding.  Not everyone is being frivolous or unethical with their "placeholder" booking.  We book cruises we definitely want and intend to take; nothing to do with being unable to decide.  And because we always want a specific cabin category in a specific location, we need to book now even if the cruise is two years in advance.  I guess that makes us "placeholders."

 

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff happens between booking date and payment date.  In the past, cancelling or transferring the booking to a different cruise was free; now it isn't.  But the fees are not exorbitant (as long as the cancellation or switch is made before the 180-day mark) and we're willing to pay them just like anyone else.  What's not to understand?

 

12 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I perfectly understand your situation. We had to cancel a cruise and switched over to another one once. Things happen. I just believe that represents a small portion of the 3 cruises booked for each cruise taken statistics.

As someone who books as much as 2 years out, I think you are both correct.  What the actual breakdown between "lookers" and "bookers" is would be informative.  3-1 is not a great business model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

 

As someone who books as much as 2 years out, I think you are both correct.  What the actual breakdown between "lookers" and "bookers" is would be informative.  3-1 is not a great business model.

Then you throw in the “hookers”!  Oops….never mind, wrong site. 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think what he meant by placeholders is people who book several cruises for the same period knowing in advance that they will be cancelling most of them.

Aha!  Now I get it.  I was unaware of the 3-1 statistics referred to above.  

Yes, a chronic placeholder who cancels reservations as a matter of practice would certainly whine at the new fees.  Too bad; so sad.

As for the lookers, bookers and hookers: I only care that the cookers stay with us!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning, everyone ~ I've never cruised Oceania before but I have a good friend who just booked a 25th Anniversary cruise because I suggested she look at Oceania.  When she received her invoice, there was nothing about a deposit; it only said the final payment is due next week (181 days out).  She asked me about this and I did some research for her and the following deposit and final payment schedule is what is says on their website:

 

image.thumb.png.a61cb4cd2da0e146707f6e68b026af03.png

 

It's an 10-night Med cruise.  I volunteered to call Oceania for her and ask about this as she's a first time cruiser.  The agent said all bookings now require full payment 181 days out.  I've never seen anything like this before.  I've searched the Oceania website and can only find the policy listed above.

 

This final payment schedule has me very concerned about her booking with Oceania.  I don't know of any other cruise line requiring full payment 6 months out.  Is anyone else concerned about this?  I consider it a drastic change (I do read fine print) that isn't published on their website nor on the confirmation she received (she hasn't paid it yet).  I'm not sure I feel comfortable with her sticking with this cruise.  

 

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks..... THANKS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Good morning, everyone ~ I've never cruised Oceania before but I have a good friend who just booked a 25th Anniversary cruise because I suggested she look at Oceania.  When she received her invoice, there was nothing about a deposit; it only said the final payment is due next week (181 days out).  She asked me about this and I did some research for her and the following deposit and final payment schedule is what is says on their website:

 

image.thumb.png.a61cb4cd2da0e146707f6e68b026af03.png

 

It's an 10-night Med cruise.  I volunteered to call Oceania for her and ask about this as she's a first time cruiser.  The agent said all bookings now require full payment 181 days out.  I've never seen anything like this before.  I've searched the Oceania website and can only find the policy listed above.

 

This final payment schedule has me very concerned about her booking with Oceania.  I don't know of any other cruise line requiring full payment 6 months out.  Is anyone else concerned about this?  I consider it a drastic change (I do read fine print) that isn't published on their website nor on the confirmation she received (she hasn't paid it yet).  I'm not sure I feel comfortable with her sticking with this cruise.  

 

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks..... THANKS


The terms above say that for cruises less than 15 days final payment is due 90 days prior to sailing.

There is now a penalty of $150 pp if you cancel after booking but that penalty increases after 181 days before sailing. These terms are still current on the Oceania website.

Can’t understand why your friend is being asked to pay in full 181 days before. 
Is she using a TA? If so could be them rather than Oceania asking for payment.

We have a cruise booked for mid May and the Oceania due date for final payment is mid February.

Double check the  Oceania invoice and ‘manage my booking’ on the website.

Edited by Vallesan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Vallesan said:


The terms above say that for cruises less than 15 days final payment is due 90 days prior to sailing.

There is now a penalty of $150 pp if you cancel after booking but that penalty increases after 181 days before sailing. These terms are still current on the Oceania website.

Can’t understand why your friend is being asked to pay in full 181 days before. 
Is she using a TA? If so could be them rather than Oceania asking for payment.

We have a cruise booked for mid May and the Oceania due date for final payment is mid February.

Double check the  Oceania invoice and ‘manage my booking’ on the website.

 

Thanks for the quick response.  She booked on the Oceania website so it's not a TA requirement.  The Oceania agent I spoke with said this was a recent change to deposit/final payment requirements.  I referenced the information above and was told that the information on the website is out of date and she'd put in a request for it to be updated.  She said her invoice was correct and that final payments are now due 181 days out for all cruises.  I didn't ask when this "new" policy went into affect because it appears that this is what they are requiring now.  

 

Requiring full payment six months out is very concerning to me.  I don't want to steer my friend wrong.  This is a big investment for her and I don't want to see her have issues.  

 

THANKS again for your response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2023 at 2:48 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

One of the pros will need to answer this and even they may not know (except one super-pro) since the deposit/cancellation-fee changes are so recent. The FCC T&Cs say, "Once applied to a voyage, guests may utilize their one-time change-of-sailing prior to the cancellation penalty period of the voyage selected." However, cancellation fees are now immediate, so do they mean the new 180 day deadline or ______?

Here are the FCC T&Cs from September:

Terms & Conditions: Certificate is redeemable for up to one year from date of purchase towards deposit of
future voyage. Selected voyage may commence outside of one year. Certificate cancellations are fully refundable
up until expiration. If US$100 Shipboard Credit was given at the time this Certificate was purchased, this amount
will be withheld from the refund. After expiration date, the full value of the Certificate will be forfeited. If you need
to cancel after a voyage is selected, the standard booking terms and conditions will apply. Onboard Booking
Savings varies based on sailing date and stateroom/suite category selected, and is combinable with current
savings offers at time of voyage selection. Onboard Savings is applicable to Ocean View and higher categories.
Please note that not all promotions are combinable with Onboard Savings. Guests are encouraged to select their
preferred future sailing as early as possible to secure preferred pricing and stateroom availability.
Oceania/Vista/Owner’s Suites, Grand Voyages, combination (multiple segment) cruises, and guests from
Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Lichtenstein may require additional deposit, which will be due at the time your
voyage is selected. Certificate is exclusively available for purchase by onboard guests only and is
non-transferable. One Certificate maximum may be applied to a reservation. Once applied to a voyage, guests
may utilize their one-time change-of-sailing prior to the cancellation penalty period of the voyage selected.
Program is applicable to new bookings only and is not applicable to reservations booked prior to Future Cruise
Deposit certificate purchase. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any
and all fares, fees, promotions and surcharges at any time. Ships' Registry: Marshall Islands.

Also purchased a FCC Deposit onboard our September cruise.

 

Terms say combinable with current savings offers.  Then not  combinable with all promotions.

 

Go figure that out !

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

 

Thanks for the quick response.  She booked on the Oceania website so it's not a TA requirement.  The Oceania agent I spoke with said this was a recent change to deposit/final payment requirements.  I referenced the information above and was told that the information on the website is out of date and she'd put in a request for it to be updated.  She said her invoice was correct and that final payments are now due 181 days out for all cruises.  I didn't ask when this "new" policy went into affect because it appears that this is what they are requiring now.  

 

Requiring full payment six months out is very concerning to me.  I don't want to steer my friend wrong.  This is a big investment for her and I don't want to see her have issues.  

 

THANKS again for your response.

The revised payment requirements and cancellation penalties are applicable to new bookings effective September 1, 2023 . The correct information can be found in the Guest Ticket Contract starting on the bottom of page 5:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-11/oceania-guest-ticket-contract.pdf

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

 

Thanks for the quick response.  She booked on the Oceania website so it's not a TA requirement.  The Oceania agent I spoke with said this was a recent change to deposit/final payment requirements.  I referenced the information above and was told that the information on the website is out of date and she'd put in a request for it to be updated.  She said her invoice was correct and that final payments are now due 181 days out for all cruises.  I didn't ask when this "new" policy went into affect because it appears that this is what they are requiring now.  

 

Requiring full payment six months out is very concerning to me.  I don't want to steer my friend wrong.  This is a big investment for her and I don't want to see her have issues.  

 

THANKS again for your response.


Couple of points:

1. I often book with an Oceania Agent by phone then pass the booking over to a TA where I get roughly 10% discount. Food for thought, if her booking is still in a low penalty cancellation charge?

2. We’ve sailed with Oceania 9 times with 2 future cruises booked and I personally wouldn’t have any issues with the company. However, I assume she has insurance so no problem if  she has.

Just as a matter of interest why did you recommend Oceania when you’ve never sailed with them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The revised payment requirements and cancellation penalties are applicable to new bookings effective September 1, 2023 . The correct information can be found in the Guest Ticket Contract starting on the bottom of page 5:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-11/oceania-guest-ticket-contract.pdf

I am not seeing  a full payment  time frame only Cancellation terms

Can you post the  time frame  you are seeing in thr  ticket contract?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...