Anyone concerned?

uneamie

3 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

Did everyone forget the terror attack on the MS Achille Lauro in 1985? Men from the PLO hijacked the ship for 2 days  they threw a Jewish man who was wheelchair bound overboard.  It's not like there's still a conflict between Israel and Palestine today. (Oh wait) It has happened before because of those 2 Waring states. No need to laugh at someones concern.  

I do not think there are any nearly 50 year old cruise ships sailing today.  Today’s cruise ships have water cannons and other security measures that would make it impossible to board the cruise ship in open waters.

Further, it’s next to impossible for unauthorized persons to enter the bridge.  

I think it would be way easier for someone to hi jack you in your car that it would ever be to hijack a cruise ship!

Again, anyone who is afraid to cruise should not be forced or convinced to cruise.  They won’t be happy and they’ll likely make those they’re with unhappy!

• Like 4

On 11/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, uneamie said:

How does everyone else feel about the currant state of affairs and our safety??? 

Not concerned in the least. I don't think a cruise ship has been the victim of a terrorist attack since the Achille Lauro in 1985 and that was in the Med.   Besides, with the sizes of cruise ships nowadays, it's quite possible that you'd never know it was hijacked. 😀

People's differing appraisal of being in danger may depend quite a bit on where they live v. where they are planning to travel.  I live in a major target for terrorism (New York) so I'm pretty much always safer in most other places where cruise ships sail.  Obviously, I'm not concerned.  Also, it has been my observation that people find a way to do what they really want to do and there is no point in trying to talk them into or out of it since many times the reason they give out is not the real reason at all.

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I am currently on the Viva TA. The only terrorist I experienced on board was a toddler throwing Cheerios at me from his stroller. It was a drive by. Security now interviewing persons of interest. 

A cereal killer is on the loose.

Was he English? Did he say "cheerio" before launching his assault?

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

The point is no, no one else is seriously concerned of cruise ships being a target. If your son has this fear it’s not justified. Something else is behind this and there are lots of possibilities. Since you didn’t give people information then theories will be made. I never said your son didn’t want to go but asked if it could be one of the several options as to why he has this unfounded fear of cruise ships specifically.

He should however talk to someone about his fear and figure out the root of it.

Looks like YOU and he have a lot on common.....both making a mountain out of mole hill. :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 3

I haven't read all the pages of comments, but how old is this kid? Maybe he rather just be alone with his girlfriend rather than tagging along with his parents? The "terrorism concern" was just their polite way of dodging being stuck with the kid's parents on a ship for a week. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, CookieShip said:

I haven't read all the pages of comments, but how old is this kid? Maybe he rather just be alone with his girlfriend rather than tagging along with his parents? The "terrorism concern" was just their polite way of dodging being stuck with the kid's parents on a ship for a week. 

Yeah.  From what I've read, the story really has some missing pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CookieShip said:

I agree though with a twist 😁 Op says it was his son’s idea that they’d cruise together. So perhaps his gf wasn’t too happy about the idea of a cruise with the (future) in laws and son is now trying to find a way to back out from the cruise…

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

Did everyone forget the terror attack on the MS Achille Lauro in 1985? Men from the PLO hijacked the ship for 2 days  they threw a Jewish man who was wheelchair bound overboard.  It's not like there's still a conflict between Israel and Palestine today. (Oh wait) It has happened before because of those 2 Waring states. No need to laugh at someones concern.  

One of the facts of this cruise taken into consideration is that they are cruising from NYC to Bermuda. Nowhere near the current conflict. 

If this was a cruise originally scheduled to visit Israel that was re-routed but would still be in nearby waters - the cause for concern would be a lot easier to justify.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, psuboater said:

In the same vein of worrying - when ships stop at ports that have travel warnings from the US - having a good, safe experience is how these companies profit.  They are not going to travel to any port that they feel will put a large amount of people in danger. Back in 2012, we stopped in St. Croix- it was the first time major cruise lines stopped there after years, because the ships pulled St. Croix from their itinearies because it wasn't safe for their customers to travel at the time. 

I recall an instance about five years ago when a cruise line cancelled their ports in Israel because of terrorism warnings.  There were several CC posters demanding that the cruise lines stop at those ports and allow them to go ashore.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I recall an instance about five years ago when a cruise line cancelled their ports in Israel because of terrorism warnings.  There were several CC posters demanding that the cruise lines stop at those ports and allow them to go ashore.

And how about the posts you occasionally see that complain about missing a port due to a hurricane? 🤦‍♂️

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And how about the posts you occasionally see that complain about missing a port due to a hurricane? 🤦‍♂️

Certainly.  Complaints about the reluctance of the captain to jeopardize a billion dollar vessel so they can swim with the dolphins.  I wish I knew as much about nautical matters and cruise ship design as some cruise critic posters.

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Note to self:  Cancel NCL cruise scheduled to leave from Niagara Falls.    😉

NCL doesn't sail from/to NiagaraFalls.

Viking does.

The point is that threats exist and everyone should do what makes the most sense to them.

Feel free to be as naive (or not) as you want to, though. No sweat off my brow. Well informed cruisers can decide for themselves. Cheers.

Edited by luv2kroooz

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Current news reports of suspected terror attack near Niagara Falls.

most current news is that it’s not a terrorist attack. A car rammed a check point. Same thing has happened at parades and running races. Should people not attend parades on the 1 in a million chance that someone rams it? The fear of a terrorist attack on a cruise ship is still irrational 

the media blow things out of proportion. It’s important to keep likelihooods of attack in mind. You can’t let the media drive you nuts. Would you not go to a skyscraper because 20 years ago planes crashes into 2?

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

most current news is that it’s not a terrorist attack. A car rammed a check point. Same thing has happened at parades and running races. Should people not attend parades on the 1 in a million chance that someone rams it? The fear of a terrorist attack on a cruise ship is still irrational 

I can't answer what is rational or irrational for anyone else for parades, cruise ships, skyscrapers, or anything else.  We just got off a cruise ship last week, so we are not concerned about a terrorist attack on a ship or a parade or a skyscraper. We  respect differing opinions from members that may be concerned.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I can't answer what is rational or irrational for anyone else for parades, cruise ships, skyscrapers, or anything else.  We just got off a cruise ship last week, so we are not concerned about a terrorist attack on a ship or a parade or a skyscraper. We  respect differing opinions from members that may be concerned.

the media creates an environment of fear. Continuing their narrative by stating there was a terrorist attack at a tourist attraction is part of the problem.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

the media creates an environment of fear. Continuing their narrative by stating there was a terrorist attack at a tourist attraction is part of the problem.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, fear sells.  Reporting objective facts apparently isn’t a profitable business model.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 3:02 PM, psuboater said:

there are many, many posts here from people when their checkin luggage was pulled to the "naughty room" for power strips, small appliances, alcohol in listerine bottles, etc. This brings me peace of mind that every piece of cargo going on the ship with us has been screened throughly.  

yes, absolutely. and i am confident that every weapon disguised as a coffee maker and a bottle of jim beam will be discovered. most terrorists are smarter than that. they won't be disguising weapons as listerine bottles and it is likely that parts of weapons would be in the luggage of different passengers, to be assembled later once onboard. some components could be brought onboard in ports enroute. and some could be made of plastic.

what we have throughout this thread is a failure of imagination. post after post of folks who say it couldn't possibly happen. it's true that it's unlikely to happen, just as it was extremely unlikely that airplanes would ever be commandeered and used as weapons and flown into buildings.

and then it actually happened.

i keep reading dismissive comments in this thread about paranoia and how this couldn't possibly be a serious concern. it seems to me, however, that one of the few who actually has a true awareness of the potential risks of cruise ship travel is the one asking the questions. these are legitimate questions and the OP and her son have a right to ask them. 

we can dismiss these questions, if we choose,  as being about events that are unlikely to happen, but we should not dismiss the folks asking the questions.

12 hours ago, sanger727 said:

One of the facts of this cruise taken into consideration is that they are cruising from NYC to Bermuda. Nowhere near the current conflict. 

the conflict is worldwide. and antisemitic incidents in the USA have risen 400% year over year since the october 7th  israel-hamas war began. and many of those incidents have taken place in or near new york and miami, which just happen to be two of NCL's most popular departure ports.

once again, it's a failure of imagination to think that a cruise departng far from a USA port is somehow immune to a terrorist act related to a conflict half a world away. time after time, we have seen terrorists - and domestic sympathizers - target gatherings where they presume those they hate are likely to be.

so, again, is a terrorist act likely? no.

are cruise ships safe? generally speaking, yes.

are these questions legitimate?

you betcha.

terrorists thrive in environments of indifference and laxity in which people have let their guard down and fail to consider all possibilities and dismiss reasonable precautions as being foolish or unnecessary.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

NCL doesn't sail from/to NiagaraFalls.

Viking does.

The point is that threats exist and everyone should do what makes the most sense to them.

Feel free to be as naive (or not) as you want to, though. No sweat off my brow. Well informed cruisers can decide for themselves. Cheers.

I actually laughed out loud about Viking "sailing from Niagara Falls".  Having grown up near there and visited the Falls more than I can count, I have never seen a real river cruise ship near the falls.  I can just imagine the ship trying to keep away from the falls.  "oh no. we are going over!!"  (The small Maid of the Mist boats are the exception, and they only run a few hundred yards near the base of the falls)

Actually the water is very shallow approaching the falls, you couldn't get within 2 miles or so with any type of draft.

So I looked it up.  Viking uses the Welland Canal, (as I suspected) a few miles to the west of the Niagara River, that runs from lake Erie to Lake Ontario.  They must stop for an excursion to the Falls along the way.  On that excursion, you would not be at any greater risk than any of the other millions of visitors to the falls every year.

Their last sailing was on 1 Oct, and won't resume until late April next year.  They actually sail from Toronto to/from Milwaukee, not Niagara Falls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1