Smart Attire for Men--Nice Jeans and Collared Pullover Sweater?

rj1227

rj1227

We are originally from Houma, moved to NO after graduation from LSU and then eventually migrated to Beau Chene in the 80's. We now split our time between Chicago and Florida. You are absolutely going to love your crossing on the QM2. As a matter of fact, I'll bet you a shrimp Po-boy and onion rings at Pontchartrain Po-boys that this will not be your only crossing, There are three things that a Crossing on the QM2 shares with South Louisiana, GREAT food, LOTS of music, and GOOD people looking to have a good time. Trust me, this will be a special time and you will want to rise to the occasion. Explore the ship, every nook and cranny, try EVERYTHING. 

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

Jack

PS: please post back here on your experience

Jack, I would be remiss if I failed to respond to your gracious post. I am originally from New Orleans, lived in Lafayette for 40 years, and moved to Mandeville almost three years ago. I actually live five minutes from Pontchartrain but have never eaten there. Because of a health issue to someone else, I will actually be making this trip solo and have some reservations, but given your kind response, I am hoping this will be the first of many TA crossings.

2 hours ago, rj1227 said:

Jack, I would be remiss if I failed to respond to your gracious post. I am originally from New Orleans, lived in Lafayette for 40 years, and moved to Mandeville almost three years ago. I actually live five minutes from Pontchartrain but have never eaten there. Because of a health issue to someone else, I will actually be making this trip solo and have some reservations, but given your kind response, I am hoping this will be the first of many TA crossings.

I made a return crossing from UK solo and loved it. I would definitely do it again after I have ticked off a few other want to do voyages. I keep my self to myself out of choice. There were plenty of opportunities for solos to mix on sharing tables and other activities. There will be plenty of people to chat to. I got back after 14 nights and couldn’t believe where the time had gone. You will love it. The WiFi was good and I could keep in touch back home. 

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Not on QV or QM2. 

One needs to managed this when onboard ,  as it's not always fixed in stone. 

For example, evening meals were served in the Golden Lion pub on 'Queen Victoria' on the itinerary of 1st October - 19th October 2023.  Have to agree it was the first time I'd ever notice this.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

One needs to managed this when onboard ,  as it's not always fixed in stone. 

For example, evening meals were served in the Golden Lion pub on 'Queen Victoria' on the itinerary of 1st October - 19th October 2023.  Have to agree it was the first time I'd ever notice this.  

Oh I am onboard next week will check . Definitely not on QM2 in May August September or November 

Here's some fashion inspiration directly from the horse's mouth.

A new press release from Cunard invites drawing inspiration for your next cruise wardrobe from the past century of cruise fashion. I personally think most of the 'look book' images shown are disappointing but I'm sure there'll be some discussion about what's presented. Some of the historical images really are inspiring such as the gown worn by Olivia de Havilland.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/circle-of-style

10 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Here's some fashion inspiration directly from the horse's mouth.

A new press release from Cunard invites drawing inspiration for your next cruise wardrobe from the past century of cruise fashion. I personally think most of the 'look book' images shown are disappointing but I'm sure there'll be some discussion about what's presented. Some of the historical images really are inspiring such as the gown worn by Olivia de Havilland.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/circle-of-style

Have I missed it in my cursory glance, or does it not consider men? Strange, because they seem to have much more trouble over what is OK than women.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Have I missed it in my cursory glance, or does it not consider men? Strange, because they seem to have much more trouble over what is OK than women.

I scrolled to the bottom of the page and saw the picture of the man and woman on the 'Vogue-approved look book' and was going to comment that I wish they would stop having pictures of 20 year old male models wearing outfits that would look awful on someone not similarly endowed with youth and physique. But agreed the men are conspicuously absent in the featured fashion spread.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 1

Yep, the Vogue Australia article is very on point for all of us. Start writing your shopping list now! 😂

Haute Couture dresses

Prada Bucket bag [$3700] to visit the spa

A $4430 tote, a must when taking afternoon tea

Valentino Garavani tote, $7,800 for the The Bright Lights venue

and that's before the St Laurent, Jimmy Choos et al shoes

Let's hope their luggage doesn't go swimming! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The terms and conditions for the Circle of Style styling and curation service they are promoting do state "The styling and curation service is available only in relation to womenswear, not menswear."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The terms and conditions for the Circle of Style styling and curation service they are promoting do state "The styling and curation service is available only in relation to womenswear, not menswear."

But it is men who seem to need advice, don’t you think?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

Hi John!  Now that I'm back from the UK and QM2, I'll start planning my pre- and post-cruise activities for the March 2024 QE Sydney to Tokyo.  See you on board😁

Sounds great. We’ll be on QE shortly after you for Alaska in June. 

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But it is men who seem to need advice, don’t you think?

It does appear that's the case. Not so much for the Gala Evening dress code where "dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen" seems to prompt only the occasional question. It's that pesky Smart Attire dress code with its various incarnations of "dress shirt", "collared shirt" and lately "smart collared shirt" for gentlemen that seems to cause the most discussion.

• Like 5

Ahhh, this community makes me laugh! It would indeed be a very expensive luggage swim, Victoria2.

I think that entire "Bright Lights" ensemble is hideous!

And that outfit on the solo male at the bottom looks stupid on HIM as a twenty-year-old model, let's not even contemplate it on a real gentleman of substance and maturity. What IS that? A cardigan blazer?

Ghastly and ridiculous. I will take my advice from the esteemed members of the Cunard discussion board here, thank you very much.

• Like 2

Just to add and not to start a debate: thoughts on smart chinos for non-gala nights?  Have seen this asked before but the posts were old.

We're early 50s, and wear chinos out in London on a night out. We also wear chinos to the office (on the 2 or 3 days we'd actually go in). Don't own "dress trousers" any more. Might be a generational thing!

We'll go full black tie on the gala nights, but chinos/long sleeve collared shirt/no jacket on the non-gala nights. Comments?

• Like 1

At 67 I'm not sure if I'm an older person.

I sometimes wear one heavily checked thick soft cotton lumberjack style collared shirt here in winter to help me keep warm. I only bought it because it was in a sale. I don't own a jumper/sweater as I don't like wearing them. The check shirt I wore to travel to Southampton last time looks to have quite a strong pattern in the photos, but it looks more subdued in reality.

Otherwise I wouldn't wear a highly patterned shirt anytime or anywhere. I prefer plain coloured or fine stripe or check. I won't have that issue in future trips on QM2 as I'll be wearing a dinner suit every night so the shirts will all be white.

I do have some collared polo shirts that I should really throw away. I haven't worn them in about 15 years.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

How did you keep warm when you lived in Scotland, if you eschewed sweaters? None of my business, I know, but vaguely interesting. 😀

We had gas central heating. The living area was rarely at less than 24C, particularly when I was sitting at my PC working for hours at a time. I do have/had a few navy/black fleeces that I can add if I need them.

We only have electricity here and installing central heating isn't practical. Reversible air heat pumps are the cheapest way of heating in winter and cooling during heatwaves. And very effective since we rarely have a difference greater than 10C between the outdoor and indoor units.

• Thanks 1