Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Be warned if you have Kumar.    He pushes food on you and likes to bring an extra plated meal -  For the table.     Some how most get consumed.

Jim--it is well known in dietician circles that extra dishes brought to the table have zero calories or fat. Kinda of like when you crumble a cookie and eat it (mysteriously all the calories disappear).

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the advise.    I read VitiminWater and really low in electrolytes - but at least some. I put them on a list of things to pick up today

It has been a slow process and each day has been better    My go to at home is Gatorade but of course they don't have that aboard.

I've been taking it easy and adding fluids with fruits

Yesterday at Seas the Temps were about 95 and HUMID    Even the Australians were complaining and many lobster red.   It was actually hotter yesterday than when in Bali.

I had orthopedic surgery back in March. The next day my sodium level dropped significantly & my electrolytes were very abnormal & I had to stay another day. The first thing they gave me was 3 small cans of tomato juice (so full of sodium) & 2 bags of potato chips! This was ordered by the renal team as they were finishing up with another patient. Once I finished a bag of chips & 2 cans of juice they gave me the sodium tablets which I took for another 2 weeks. Do you like tomato juice, just saying😀

Denise

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the advise.    I read VitiminWater and really low in electrolytes - but at least some. I put them on a list of things to pick up today

It has been a slow process and each day has been better    My go to at home is Gatorade but of course they don't have that aboard.

I've been taking it easy and adding fluids with fruits

Yesterday at Seas the Temps were about 95 and HUMID    Even the Australians were complaining and many lobster red.   It was actually hotter yesterday than when in Bali.

Jim, on the Apex in September the Retreat lounge had a supply of vitimin water, have you asked for some there?

• Like 1

Something really wrong with the provisioning of these cruises. First two legs there was only 1 cider available -and only strongbow.

Since Singapore even that has run out - now they have 0 ciders! So much for being a “premium” cruise line.

Oddly beers have increased to their most yet at 22. I’ve no idea whats going on with their provisioning.

8 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Hi there. Belated Happy Birthday Jim. I just finished  reading all the posts.We were on crossing years ago to  with you  to Japan. After doing over 60 cruises we saw a great deal of the world. David died  on September 18th so no more cruises, He was 97 and had a good life. After 62 years of marriage l miss him terribly . Keep cruising and stay healthy.  He ran until he was 9l. 

Sherrill  Smith  Peterborough Ontario 

Sherrill -  So sad to hear of David's passing you must be devastated.   Wish I could give you a big hug.    I know it must still be raw and, your heart is broken, but remember he will always be with you in your fond memories.   He is still there in your heart and talk to him.   I do with the loss of my first live,  somehow I feel he still hears me and he comes back in my dreams. 

I'm not sure if  you met Marcha.  She was also on the cruise and lost her husband just after the end of the cruise.    She is Top cruiser on the the last 3 sectors of  the Edge.   When I heard I texted to her and discovered she is two doors down.    We met up a couple days ago in Edge and caught up.     Was so nice to hear.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Very cool, and a terrific example of a wow moment.  Not so much the Daniel B part (he is just licensed to be a name), but that the pastry chef was willing to do this and capable. 

He said originally he could make a similar one but didn't  have the dried raspberry powder.   Last night he said that with permission he looked through the galley an found some.... Ohhhhh I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hcat said:

:classic_love:

Please accept my deepest and  heartfelt sympathy..  62 years of marriage is a blessing...  may you enjoy beautiful memories!

glad you are following this thread ..it is a  story of happiness and love!

Hcat

Thank you.... you stated that so nicely.    I swear the older I get the emotional I get.   Reading Sherrill's message I broke down in tears, feeling her loss and had to rapidly change my thoughts.  

We need a Group virtual hug?   We are here fou you Sherrill. 

• Like 9

We just departed Darwin -  I got back from our Ships excursions 45 minutes before sailing. 

Thank the Lord we have 2 sea days.    I will try to catch up today.   I did a Solo tour today and the boys weren't up for a 9 hour tour    They went out to a nice lunch.

Good news is even with the 100+ temperatures I kept myself hydrated by sipping on VitaminWater (3 bottles) and feel a little dry but much better than the past couple days.

Iain picked up some buffered salt tablets and some Hydrate -   I still have to look at what's in it but I noticed that the Bus Driver had a tube of them in his side compartment.

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.95e6f73993b8e0d622f3e776deafa3f6.jpeg

IMG_1175.thumb.jpeg.6e6e19935e26a1037b42bb7c826ad9bf.jpeg

IMG_1174.thumb.jpeg.fef0700460335ab5b639c0cff65ba624.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Jim, on the Apex in September the Retreat lounge had a supply of vitimin water, have you asked for some there?

I will try to hold my tongue.   of Course None that I've seen in Retreat - our butler has been wonderful in getting some for me.     I also picked up a couple at al Bacio just before my 7:00 AM tour.

While it did the trick I think the Hydrate may be a better choice.   They are like AlkaSeltzer - drop two in water and sip.    They aren't design for flavor

By the way -  shhhh... our friends from Sydney not getting their water replaced picked up the phone and called room service and ordered 4 bottles of water.  They didn't have the two bottles of Evian that is usually in the room.    I warned him that he might be charged.    He of course said if they do they will hear back strongly.   He mentioned to head butler and he said they would not be charged and would deliver water to them.    They were a bit cranky as they have a really Stateroom Attendant that is barely so-so.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Jim--it is well known in dietician circles that extra dishes brought to the table have zero calories or fat. Kinda of like when you crumble a cookie and eat it (mysteriously all the calories disappear).

I guess that is also true that the Ships always shrink your clothing when you send them out.   

You gave us a good laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, UK1sttimer said:

I'm afraid the weather is only going to get hotter. I just checked the forecast for next week in Sydney as we are coming into the city to see the Edge, and 95 will seem cool.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Will be interesting to see if it comes to be.   I hadn't thought to look at the Feel Like Temperature.   Where we live in Sunnyvale -  Our Feel Like and Actual are usually the same.

I would hate to see what it was on our tour.   The actual temps was  around 97F and UV Index - EXTREME.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

I had orthopedic surgery back in March. The next day my sodium level dropped significantly & my electrolytes were very abnormal & I had to stay another day. The first thing they gave me was 3 small cans of tomato juice (so full of sodium) & 2 bags of potato chips! This was ordered by the renal team as they were finishing up with another patient. Once I finished a bag of chips & 2 cans of juice they gave me the sodium tablets which I took for another 2 weeks. Do you like tomato juice, just saying😀

Denise

I do like it but I think I need to go slow.   After my first glass of Hydrate my tummy is a little upset gut of course I never follow directions -   instead of 2 tablets in a glass I took 3 and didn't sip it.   I'm sure all of you can hear Iain--- no sympathy -  READ THE DIRECTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM.

Good news is my resting heart rate has slowed to 81 and has been running 100-110 for the past couple days.   I think I'm on the mends.      Iain also picked up some buffered salt tablets.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

First two legs there was only 1 cider available -and only strongbow.

Since Singapore even that has run out - now they have 0 ciders! 

Hope provisioning correct that problem in Sydney. My husband prefers cider to beer, I wonder if I should bring some on board for him just in case?  Although ages to go for us as our cruise isn't until February. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I swear the older I get the emotional I get.   Reading Sherrill's message I broke down in tears, feeling her loss and had to rapidly change my thoughts.  

No, it means that you are to be commended as you have compassion and kindness which are much in need in the world we now live.  

• Like 9

My tour had instructions to go to theater by 7:00 AM.   Yikes. At 6:30 my only choice was OVC

Stumbling down the hall at such an ungodly hour I was happy I didn’t have Iain in tow.   The tour was to Litchfield Park a good 2 1/4 hour drive to the furthest point.   For a 9 hour tour it was reasonable at $95, I think I booked it on a sale. 

sun was just coming up as I headed to OVC

IMG_1073.thumb.jpeg.b685a03d6de9958f1900f2b678f2df16.jpeg

IMG_1074.thumb.jpeg.5170f5e3462fbff646a9a6bba2655a0b.jpeg

Took a Quick Look and settled on a light continental. 

IMG_1075.thumb.jpeg.29f32fd99c3b21e9bbeb3c27231f7f31.jpeg

Just some random food station pictures.  

IMG_1076.thumb.jpeg.530a2ee07041d07c1f3024f3757433a4.jpeg

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.c8f7fa5609e9ce91878d40d020879e9f.jpeg

IMG_1079.thumb.jpeg.5723b62e8ce17449b40f4e623fc6ab33.jpeg

IMG_1079.thumb.jpeg.5723b62e8ce17449b40f4e623fc6ab33.jpeg

my my.  This they labeled Biscuits and Sausage.   Hmmm. 🧐 

IMG_1078.thumb.jpeg.1369147350ea30f624e6c0d7550b1f06.jpeg

IMG_1080.jpeg

• Like 9

Thanks Jim and Iain for your  kind thoughts. Stay healthy.  It is great seeing all the pictures. We did a trip through the Suez Canal and then went to Singapore and India. So many fond memories. David's ashes are here for now. We will do a celebration of his life at Stoney Lake Ontario . He loved his cottage. 

Keep cruising.  Love Sherrill 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I will try to hold my tongue.   of Course None that I've seen in Retreat - our butler has been wonderful in getting some for me.     I also picked up a couple at al Bacio just before my 7:00 AM tour.

While it did the trick I think the Hydrate may be a better choice.   They are like AlkaSeltzer - drop two in water and sip.    They aren't design for flavor

By the way -  shhhh... our friends from Sydney not getting their water replaced picked up the phone and called room service and ordered 4 bottles of water.  They didn't have the two bottles of Evian that is usually in the room.    I warned him that he might be charged.    He of course said if they do they will hear back strongly.   He mentioned to head butler and he said they would not be charged and would deliver water to them.    They were a bit cranky as they have a really Stateroom Attendant that is barely so-so.   

Too bad they didn’t get our Retreat Host.   At one point we had 9 bottles of water on the vanity and 4 in the cooler.  Every day more came in spite of us telling him we don’t need water.  Finally, put 8 bottles on the table with a note PLEASE REMOVE.  

• Haha 4