Looking to try MSC have questions

cflips7

We have cruised many times before and looking to try MSC Seashore have some questions. What are the hours of the buffet (any late night hours) since they do not have any other food choices except dining room and specialty restaurants. 

My wife saw somewhere that there are charges to get in some shows is this true?

Does the buffet change every day or is it the same?

How late are the bars open at night.

This will give you an idea, as these pics are from Seaside with slightly different design.  For instance, there is only one buffet location on Seashore/Seascape.  I suspect the bars will have different names.  Seashore is returning today from her first cruise from the US this season.  Hours might have been different on European cruises.  So, until someone comes along who has been on Seascape ( and not in Yacht Club) and posts from their daily programs…

The buffet changes every day, at least at lunch.  I never went there for dinner.

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

This will give you an idea, as these pics are from Seaside with slightly different design.  For instance, there is only one buffet location on Seashore/Seascape.  I suspect the bars will have different names.  Seashore is returning today from her first cruise from the US this season.  Hours might have been different on European cruises.  So, until someone comes along who has been on Seascape ( and not in Yacht Club) and posts from their daily programs…

The buffet changes every day, at least at lunch.  I never went there for dinner.

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

Thanks so much for this it is awesome

Please visit the MSC website.

Not only is there specific information on the ships of their fleet, there is specific information on what is available across the fleet and the ships that different options are available on.

Keep in mind that specific times will be dependent on the itinerary and may vary from day to day.

Also familiarize yourself with the "Terms and Conditions" and "Conditions of Carriage" (link on bottom of main page). There are policies and procedures that may be very different from other cruise lines you have cruised on.

cflips, I would also recommend becoming familiar with the different "experiences" before booking, as each has different price levels, and different amenities.  For example, we will not do anytime dining, and that is one of the "advantages" of Aurea level, good for some but not for us.

Also, you might want to consider doing a status match, if you have a nice loyalty level with one of the other lines you've cruises.

We loved our MSC cruises, primarily for the elements that were "different" from our usual cruises.

Don't be scared off by those who will get on here and tell you to only cruise Yacht Club and reveal their natures with terms with pejorative  connotations such as "General Population," GenPop," and "interlopers.

Like Shipgeeks, we have sailed many different lines and enjoy MSC because of the Italian culture (food and entertainment) and diverse international passenger make up. 

And before the Bella experience became a guarantee cabin only  choice, we sailed Bella in an interior cabin with an assigned (traditional) dining time. It suited us as well as our cruises on Viking Ocean and Oceania because in many ways there were similarities in the on board experience

• Like 8

Homosassa - I agree with you about enjoying the Italian culture and international passengers. This is what made us MSC fans.
Many items at the buffet change everyday especially the cheese and cold cut offerings and the desserts. I love the food but I eat a more Mediterranean diet even though I am an American. 

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Don't be scared off by those who will get on here and tell you to only cruise Yacht Club and reveal their natures with terms with pejorative  connotations such as "General Population," GenPop," and "interlopers.

I agree that Yacht Club or ever Aurea is not necessary to enjoy MSC. There are many Bella and Fantastica reviews where the reviewer had a great cruise.

The "interloper" term is used to describe people who are in a place that they shouldn't be. It isn't meant to disparage people booked in other "experiences".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Like Shipgeeks, we have sailed many different lines and enjoy MSC because of the Italian culture (food and entertainment) and diverse international passenger make up. 

And before the Bella experience became a guarantee cabin only  choice, we sailed Bella in an interior cabin with an assigned (traditional) dining time. It suited us as well as our cruises on Viking Ocean and Oceania because in many ways there were similarities in the on board experience

Totally agree. I can't afford YC although some folks keep saying that it cost less compared to other lines. It's still more than I csn spend on a cruise. I enjoy my balcony cabin and feel proud of being able to book that. I have a good time in the "general population" and feel blessed to be able to cruise. Heading out on the Seascape in around 20 days, woohoo! 

Have a great time whatever you choose.

😊

Happy sailing

• Like 2

I am not sure about the Seashore, but on the Meraviglia, there is a separate venue from the main theater called the "Carousel Lounge" and some of the shows in that venue are an additional charge. I don't know whether the Seashore has something like that. I will say, the additional charge for the Carousel Lounge shows on the Meraviglia is reasonable and warranted. It includes drinks and the price you pay varies depending on when/how you book. If you have a specialty dining package, it is $5 per person (though there is no dining involved, I think this is just an incentive for people to get a dining package). If you book online before sailing, it is $12 per person. If you book onboard with no dining package, it is $18 per person.

On 11/19/2023 at 5:02 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

I agree that Yacht Club or ever Aurea is not necessary to enjoy MSC. There are many Bella and Fantastica reviews where the reviewer had a great cruise.

The "interloper" term is used to describe people who are in a place that they shouldn't be. It isn't meant to disparage people booked in other "experiences".

I don’t get the whole thing about the “different experiences”, yacht club aside for obvious reasons. 

The only benefit I see for aurea is the anytime dining. I think you get the thermal spa but if that isn’t your thing, then it’s not a big deal. I had an hour free at the thermal spa I never used on my last cruise. I would like the anytime dining. 

We dined with people who booked Bella and got a balcony. The only experience difference I see between Bella and fantastica is you get to order a very limited breakfast. And pick your room. 

the only real difference I see in “experience” is aurea and the other two with the thermal spa. I also remembered while typing that they have an extra area. 

None of that affects my own personal experience. 

I hope that makes sense. I’m on my way home from my most recent cruise and delayed on the airport. I am tired. 

Edited by 1kaper

9 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

the only real difference I see in “experience” is aurea and the other two with the thermal spa. I also remembered while typing that they have an extra area. 

The experience levels are just "things".

Some people are perfectly happy with A.

Some people with A get upset when they see people with A and B.

Some people with A and B are happy until they see people with A,B, and C.

Some people have no desire for D so A,B, and C are fine.

People can find what is best for them based on what the experiences offer vs. the cost.

28 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The experience levels are just "things".

Some people are perfectly happy with A.

Some people with A get upset when they see people with A and B.

Some people with A and B are happy until they see people with A,B, and C.

Some people have no desire for D so A,B, and C are fine.

People can find what is best for them based on what the experiences offer vs. the cost.

What I’m saying is I don’t really see an “experience” in Bella fantastica or aurea. 
like in YC, that’s an experience. a butler. Not waiting in lines. Better food. Better drinks  I don’t think picking your room is “an experience”. I can choose to do that or not do that on any line. 
Same with choose your own dining. It’s a perk maybe. Not an “experience”. 
you can get passes to the thermal spa. 
the only thing different in Aurea experience is access to one area. I agree that may be an experience. 

3 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

What I’m saying is I don’t really see an “experience” in Bella fantastica or aurea. 

MSC just uses the word "experience" to avoid using the word "class" in the way that airlines and old ships like Titanic have used it. Bella, Fantastica, and Aurea are more alike than different. It's just the little extras that separate them.

Or "level" or "category" or whatever word someone chooses.  It's just a word.

For us, it did make a big difference.  If we had, for some reason, booked Aurea without knowing that we would have anytime dining (no option to change) we would have been very unhappy.

Bella was perfect for us.  We had no negatives in any aspect of our cruises.

I think it just pays to explore this before committing to a booking.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Bella was perfect for us.  We had no negatives in any aspect of our cruises.

I think it just pays to explore this before committing to a booking.

Would you still book "Bella" now that it has been changed to "guarantee" cabins only.

We prefer to select our cabin and will need to go Fantasica for that ability.

We would advise the OP that there are multiple choices for food/snacks of which the lido buffet is just one option.  There are other places such as the sports bar, gelato counters (this does have a small fee) pizza place, room service, etc.  Some options do involve a small cost, but that is your choice.

As to the Yacht Club (the only way we cruise on MSC) it is pricey and not for everyone...especially those on a tight budget.  Most of us in the YC, also enjoy plenty of time out and about the rest of the ship.  For those not in the YC, it is simply a small part of the ship for which you do not have access (other than on a tour).  

As to the other "Experiences,"  folks should carefully evaluate the various perks (that come for an extra price) and decide what works best for them and their own budget.  With the exception of the Yacht Club's own lounge, all the entertainment venues, on the ship, are open to everyone.  The entertainers that do work in the YC's lounge do also perform elsewhere on the ship where they can be enjoyed by all.

Hank

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Would you still book "Bella" now that it has been changed to "guarantee" cabins only.

We prefer to select our cabin and will need to go Fantasica for that ability.

That's a worthwhile question.

For us, the only possible negative cabin would be one with an obstructed view. If I were booking today, I'd check the deck plans to see if there are any that we might not want for that reason.  However, I know there are some who feel strongly about certain decks, forward or aft cabins, close or far from something, etc., so for them, choosing would be desirable.

On 11/19/2023 at 1:17 PM, Homosassa said:

That's a good point.  I have done YC one time - I had a wonderful balcony cabin, and yes, if I didn't have better things to do with my money, I would do it again!  It's a completely different cruising experience. Other than that, Bella works just fine for me.  The only reason I care about the difference between Bella and Fantastica Inside cabins is because I get more Voyager points with a Fantastica cabin.. so if the "upgrade" is less than 100 bucks and you care about advancing levels, it's worth a consideration.

I have never done an Aurea experience because it's cheaper to pay for the thermal suite pass.  However, if I wanted that exclusive sundeck and anytime dining, it may be worth it.  OK, anytime dining will never be worth several hundreds of dollars to me lol

I travel solo most of the time, so nowadays, it's usually an inside cabin, I don't care where.

I love MSC.

Edited by windlicht
speleling error
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We would advise the OP that there are multiple choices for food/snacks of which the lido buffet is just one option.  There are other places such as the sports bar, gelato counters (this does have a small fee) pizza place, room service, etc.  Some options do involve a small cost, but that is your choice.

As to the Yacht Club (the only way we cruise on MSC) it is pricey and not for everyone...especially those on a tight budget.  Most of us in the YC, also enjoy plenty of time out and about the rest of the ship.  For those not in the YC, it is simply a small part of the ship for which you do not have access (other than on a tour).  

As to the other "Experiences,"  folks should carefully evaluate the various perks (that come for an extra price) and decide what works best for them and their own budget.  With the exception of the Yacht Club's own lounge, all the entertainment venues, on the ship, are open to everyone.  The entertainers that do work in the YC's lounge do also perform elsewhere on the ship where they can be enjoyed by all.

Hank

Thank you for your eloquent explanation, Hank!

May I add that the Aurea-specific sundeck and dining room are also not open to everyone?

On 11/19/2023 at 8:25 PM, blueslily said:

I can't afford YC although some folks keep saying that it cost less compared to other lines. It's still more than I csn spend on a cruise." 

Most people cannot afford YC.  Sure, if you live a life in which you seriously consider the merits of the Haven versus the YC or whatever, then money is not an issue.  At all. YC is more affordable, just by looking at concierge level stateroom with other cruise lines. I guess, it's affordable enough to give what everyone apparently refers to as "gen pop" the opportunity to book it for a special occasion.

It's still a lot of money.

So, I embrace all of us riffraff staying in a normal stateroom and worrying about the minute differences between Bella and Fantastica. To me, btw, Aurea is way too expensive, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windlicht said:

Thank you for your eloquent explanation, Hank!

May I add that the Aurea-specific sundeck and dining room are also not open to everyone?

Having access to that sundeck (or the Yacht Club's sundeck) can be a very good thing on a nice sea day.  It can get very crowded on deck (except in the YC or Aurea).  DW and I do enjoy spending lots of time in deck loungers which is one reason (among several) why we appreciate the Yacht Club.  The big downside to the Yacht Club is the lack of shade on their expansive sundeck.  In fact, shade is at a premium on a hot sea day...in any Experience.  Even though we are in the Yacht Club, DW and I have been known to sit in loungers  near the main pool (outside the YC) on port days when it is not difficult to get a lounger in the shade and the ship is relatively empty (most are ashore).

Hank

On 11/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, JamieLogical said:

I am not sure about the Seashore, but on the Meraviglia, there is a separate venue from the main theater called the "Carousel Lounge" and some of the shows in that venue are an additional charge. I don't know whether the Seashore has something like that. I will say, the additional charge for the Carousel Lounge shows on the Meraviglia is reasonable and warranted. It includes drinks and the price you pay varies depending on when/how you book. If you have a specialty dining package, it is $5 per person (though there is no dining involved, I think this is just an incentive for people to get a dining package). If you book online before sailing, it is $12 per person. If you book onboard with no dining package, it is $18 per person.

And @cflips7

There is no charge for Cabaret Rouge entertainment on Seashore and no paid shows at this time.  It is a continuous, and repetitive every evening, cycle of performances from about 7 to 11. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Having access to that sundeck (or the Yacht Club's sundeck) can be a very good thing on a nice sea day.  It can get very crowded on deck (except in the YC or Aurea).  DW and I do enjoy spending lots of time in deck loungers which is one reason (among several) why we appreciate the Yacht Club.  The big downside to the Yacht Club is the lack of shade on their expansive sundeck.  In fact, shade is at a premium on a hot sea day...in any Experience.  Even though we are in the Yacht Club, DW and I have been known to sit in loungers  near the main pool (outside the YC) on port days when it is not difficult to get a lounger in the shade and the ship is relatively empty (most are ashore).

Hank

Where were you staying again? The Yacht Club? 😉